D M
    @

I got a tat a week ago and at first it looked GREAT but now it’s dry and itchy and ugly. LOL What in the world am I supposed to do?

??ubble™
    @

Wow you should have been given care instructions. It is completely normal. Don’t itch it or pick at the flaky skin. Use a frangrance free lotion (like Lubriderm) and in about a week it should be all done peeling.

pookiesmom
    @

Keep plain lotion on it…a LOT..it’s healing so it gets itchy.

mandi_8706
    @

Thats normal. Get Some vitamin A&D Ointment. I know they have it at Walmart. It will help with the dryness. Just put a small layer on your tattoo.. just enough to cover it. Put it on 1-2 times a day. Don’t overdo it though cause it could make your tattoo fade. Also try not to itch your tattoo or pick at it.

zoeysmomma28
    @

Put AandD ointment on it
    never let a tattoo get dry
    the dead layer of skin with peel off and your tattoo will look great again

etrigone
    Participant
    @etrigone

I would generally recommend that you speak to your shop/artist about some kind of handout explaining this. If you have this question, then so will others. That aside…

This is normal. One week after a tattoo is about the worst time, with the upper layer of skin peeling much like after a bad sunburn. It will slowly get better over the next week or so, slowing in it’s improvement but continuing to ‘cook’ for up to three months.

What you should do now is keep it moisturized, but not to excess. Make the tattooed skin feel like the surrounding; no more as you can get a rash from too much lotion. If it itches, do not scratch the tattoo. You can slap it, and for most people that’s quite sufficient.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.