j s
    Participant
    @j-s

Hello, I just got my new tat 3 days ago. I have been washing it and caring for it as directed. It started to scab today and I am noticing that the skin underneath seems to be really light in one area. He did a great job of coloring it in. I just want it to be really dark and sharp. Is it normal to have tattoos touched up a couple weeks after they have been done. I have two on my back, and they didn’t seem to lose any color at all. This one is on my arm, so maybe the skin there won’t hold the color as well as the ones on my back. Thank you so much!!! This tattoo is entirely black.

help is on the way
    Participant
    @help-is-on-the-way

my ink has a lot of color but it has a good amount of black ink as well. during the healing process it won’t look like it’s going to when it’s done healing. when you first get the tattoo the colors are really dark and rich..especially after putting any ointment they may have given you. before mine peeled and healed it was so much brighter especially with the ointment that made it shiny. i wouldn’t go for a touch up yet…wait a while..and if it really bothers you then go talk to your artist. (mines on my arm as well)

tatt_bratt
    Participant
    @tatt_bratt

Do yourself and your tattoo artist a favor and not pay too much attention to the skin changes as your tattoo is healing. It will start looking pretty bad and some areas will appear lighter than others. Just let it go through its natural process and follow the aftercare instructions.

In 30 days you will have a beautiful fresh epidermal layer and will know how well the tattoo healed in.

bookemdanno62
    @

I would wait until the scab is completely gone, then go back where you had it done and ask the artist about it.

InkHeart
    Participant
    @inkheart

The reason the scab is darker, is that tattoo scabs are formed from excess ink being expelled from the skin, blood and skin cells. If your tattoo is black, this will be the reason your scab is so dark.

It is not normal for a tattoo to need touch ups so soon. If you require a touch up due to the skin not holding the color like you liked, it is safe to say that next time you want to add another piece of artwork to your collection, you find yourself another artist.

First and foremost, tattoos should NOT be scabbing in the first place. This usually means the artist has a heavy hand, is going deeper in the epidermis, and has overworked the skin.

Properly executed tattoos should for the first couple of days ooze the excess ink and plasma, and then begin to peel. It should feel exactly like a sunburn, and look like one too. The peeling should look like that one also.

Retouching so soon, with the skin tissue still not being properly healed, will cause scarring.

Tattoo touch ups are ONLY recommended on tattoos that have faded over a five year period due to normal skin and day to day activity.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.