StuperMario
    Participant
    @stupermario

hey all. so i gotta say i do watch these shows and like em.
    but i always wondered do tattooists like these shows, or are they just for the general tv watcher?
    as in do tattooist feel they are a good representation of the tattoo industry or not.
    it’s one thing i’ve no idea about and would like to know.
    thanks.
    🙂

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

I can say that my tattooist would probably love to screw Kat Von D, but that’s about as far as his interest would go I reckon.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

I cant speak for tattooist but i love the shows , even better if watched on mute
    sorry but i cant stand the way them yankie’s make a story out of everything LOL

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

its not a true representation of how the industry floats, but what it does do is let people know that a tattoo can help some people deal with everyday life and sad losses of family friends and even pets…. not every person that gets a tattoo done will have it because their granny was so sweet or their pet iguana saved them when the house was on fire etc etc….. some people do actually get tattoos because they like them…… the shows dont actually help to show people how things are or should be done…. its just a reality show, and glammed up to get viewing ratings higher.

ps…. i think everyone has a liking for Kat, although my preference would be Kim Saigh 😉

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

This is the thing about reality TV it is always cut so it looks great and glamourous.

When i did my tour in the states I called in at Miami Ink and High Voltage and they were just like many other studios – working away on average joes for the money.

The cameras come in and they will want interesting stories and heart tugging tales of how the pet goldfish gave their comtatose kitten mouth to mouth, before valiantly sacrificing themselves down the toilet.

However I am glad they did actually do these shows as it does show off some nice ink and does portray the ppl getting work done as normal human beings and not some sort of closet masochist.

That is always a positive thing in breaking the prejudice about tattooing.

My only real complaint is too much time spent on ‘personal lives’ and not enough on tattooing.

Take Care
    Matthew

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

I friend of mine takes regular holidays in Florida, he is off againg if 5 weeks. Anyway, he took a 4 hour drive from the place he was staying in to see the ‘Miami Ink’ shop…..what a dissapointment….not one of the artists we see on the screen was there and the prices where astonomical.

When the cameras are gone…..so are the ‘stars’….

Purplestar

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

I read in one of the other posts on here that Kat Von D charges $500 per half hour! Yeah, she’s talented with portraits, but there’s better artists out there for a quarter of that price.

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

I agree Joker 1 and I have learnt how to spell ASTRONOMICAL, I think

Tifacady
    Participant
    @tifacady

I like the shows, I didn’t really consider a career in tattoo or any art form (due to parents views about getting a ‘real’ job) but being able to show them the inside of a tattoo studio (albeit the more glamourous cut from the comfort and familiarity of their own living room) has meant I can actually start working towards a career I’ll enjoy.
    I’m sure it’s broken down alot of stigmas for other people too.
    Although I agree they spend too long on the ‘real life’ side, I’d rather see another tattoo or learn more about how the artists got started than watch them going to anger management!

xander
    Participant
    @xander

i think there a good thing bar some of the silly story’s they help show wot can be done on peoples skin and it shows wot a good tattoo can look like

some of my friends have had some real bad tats lol

StuperMario
    Participant
    @stupermario

so it seems the feelings are a bit mixed but in general ppl like it. i dont pretend to know much about it, but i can say i know a lot more ppl into tattoos now coz of it. for example my sister, who never liked tats started watchin miami ink and it opened her up to the concept somewhow and nows she’s planning a tattoo of a lotus on her foot.
    so i guess that sort of exposure is a good thing.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i agree that it has opened peoples eyes up to accepting that people want tattoo’s, but the only problem with miami ink etc is that people now relate having a tattoo done only for emotional reasons…… wtf…. i want them cos i like them, i do them because i like doing them , and to be honnest with you, the people that get their first piece dont might have it as a memorial, but once they get that adictive bug…… smitten.

we just need to educate people that not all tattoo’s need to be for sentimental reasons

StuperMario
    Participant
    @stupermario

that makes sense alright. one step at a time i suppose. i mean there was a time when everyone with tats was typecasted as a criminal or a tearaway and now that’s in the past. so i suppose things are going the right way, however slow, but still progress being made. 🙂

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

theyhave been around for thousands of years and they are only just being accepted…… dont hold your breath for quick changes lol.. :p

StuperMario
    Participant
    @stupermario

not this side of the century anyway! ha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.