KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Sherav;37827 wrote:
    Actually KH

She does come across as irritating and annoying but if it was a one off session and I got some great ink I would be able to whore my personal feelings for a few hours. :p

I don’t know man. You know I don’t believe in “meaningful” tattoos. Memorials, celebrations of events in your life, tattoos with stories behind ’em, whatever. The stories are either a cliché, an after the fact justification, or just not well thought through.

But while the tattoos themselves don’t require meaning, are the purest form of art’s for art’s sake, stories do naturally get attached to your ink. They don’t define the ink, but they define the inking process.

Take my zombie squid for example.

It in and of itself has no meaning. I like zombies, my nickname is squid, I thought it could make an awesome design. It’s just a piece of art.

But the process…

My artist wanted to do it in 3 sessions, six or so hours a hit. Ended up with those, plus a free 4th finish up session at four hours. The first two, I paid for easily enough, but then I got fired (along with everyone else making above a certain pay grade) and my third session became impossible.

Then my best friend came down from Massachusetts for the first time in four years to visit for a few days. After a few days, Christian asked me to take him to my tattoo shop so he could get an inner orbital piercing.

When we got there, he disappeared for a while to the second floor, told me not to come. When he came back, he had my tattoo artist, Troy, with him. They told me that Christian had paid for my third session, and Troy had time to finish it right there.

Six hours late, he said he was done for the day, and set up the free 4th appointment.

It’s a good story, and I love stories. I collect them like I do tattoos, or books.

And while the tattoo itself doesn’t mean anything other than a killer design, the story of getting it makes me happy.

Now, (let’s say) I got a tattoo by someone I want to get hit by the nonmetaphorical bus (let’s say Kat Von D)

The story of the process would be “This hot annoying chick did it. I had to stare down her shirt the entire time to keep from choking her”.

And saying that would make me a sexist asshole.

And I don’t wanna be a sexist asshole.

I’m fine being a normal, regular asshole, thanks.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

DonnaMH
    Participant
    @donnamh
    KnightHawk;37848 wrote:
    I don’t know man. You know I don’t believe in “meaningful” tattoos. Memorials, celebrations of events in your life, tattoos with stories behind ’em, whatever. The stories are either a cliché, an after the fact justification, or just not well thought through.

But while the tattoos themselves don’t require meaning, are the purest form of art’s for art’s sake, stories do naturally get attached to your ink. They don’t define the ink, but they define the inking process.

It in and of itself has no meaning. I like zombies, my nickname is squid, I thought it could make an awesome design. It’s just a piece of art.

But the process…

My artist wanted to do it in 3 sessions, six or so hours a hit. Ended up with those, plus a free 4th finish up session at four hours. The first two, I paid for easily enough, but then I got fired (along with everyone else making above a certain pay grade) and my third session became impossible.

Then my best friend came down from Massachusetts for the first time in four years to visit for a few days. After a few days, Christian asked me to take him to my tattoo shop so he could get an inner orbital piercing.

When we got there, he disappeared for a while to the second floor, told me not to come. When he came back, he had my tattoo artist, Troy, with him. They told me that Christian had paid for my third session, and Troy had time to finish it right there.

Six hours late, he said he was done for the day, and set up the free 4th appointment.

It’s a good story, and I love stories. I collect them like I do tattoos, or books.

And while the tattoo itself doesn’t mean anything other than a killer design, the story of getting it makes me happy.

Now, (let’s say) I got a tattoo by someone I want to get hit by the nonmetaphorical bus (let’s say Kat Von D)

The story of the process would be “This hot annoying chick did it. I had to stare down her shirt the entire time to keep from choking her”.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Lol….and we love you that way!!!

Tifacady
    Participant
    @tifacady

I (predictably) prefer LA ink because the majority of the artists are female as am I. That simple. I liked Miami Ink but they seem to be much more aggressive and it makes me uncomfortable to watch confrontations between the guys or the guys and their clients.
    I’ve never had a tattoo by someone really annoying, I think it would probably taint the experience and therefore the tattoo though.

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt
    KnightHawk;37848 wrote:

But the process…

Love. Peace. Metallica.

DUDE

You need to write a book or something, I look forward to reading your posts, this shit is great.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

I do my best. Check out Matthew–he actually IS writing a book.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt
    KnightHawk;40075 wrote:
    I do my best. Check out Matthew–he actually IS writing a book.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Yeah I am looking forward to reading it/them

Tat2dBaldDude
    Participant
    @tat2dbalddude
    KnightHawk;37848 wrote:

But the process…

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Dude, the others are right! This story is PHENOMONAL! That was a great tattoo story! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it.

I’m also glad to see members like DonnaMH posting in this thread. I thought her and a few others had surely written me off after the saga with my wife’s family. I still do feel bad about that, and would love to get back to chatting with her and the others on here.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

*shrugs*

We all turn into emo bitches when it comes to our family, and I’m sure ALOT of us posted stupid whiney shit online tons of times (thinks about his recently rediscovered and destroyed LiveJournel from when he was 16… *shudder*).

You didn’t keep acting out after that thing, so we rated it as a one time bit of insanity. Happens to the best of us.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

My buddies have been to Miami Ink

it was small, over priced (as seen on tv anyone??) and no one from the show was working that day!

Let’s not forget these are “reality shows” so..they are all staged, How they have Yoji as the “gormless apprentice”

I am sure he could probably tattoo as good as the rest of them it just makes for more entertaining TV …

LA ink seems like they have a bigger shop I know in general Cory works somewhere near Upland, CA (the Inland empire)

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I visited both High Voltage and Miami Ink on my tattooing tour of the states.

The orig shop was tiny but they had turned that into a souvenir shop and moved next door to a slightly bigger place but nothing huge.

I was lucky Yoji and Nunez were inside when I visited – I met Chris Garver on the way out – would have grabbed a tattoo if he had been free but booked up solid 🙁

High voltage was a fairsize shop but again nobody was in.

The thing that got me about Miami was that they were all 3x more expensive than anywhere else I visted across the east and west coasts. It was off putting how much they charge there.

Take Care
    Matthew

Tat2dBaldDude
    Participant
    @tat2dbalddude
    Aussie_Al;40205 wrote:
    My buddies have been to Miami Ink

it was small, over priced (as seen on tv anyone??) and no one from the show was working that day!

Let’s not forget these are “reality shows” so..they are all staged, How they have Yoji as the “gormless apprentice”

I am sure he could probably tattoo as good as the rest of them it just makes for more entertaining TV …

LA ink seems like they have a bigger shop I know in general Cory works somewhere near Upland, CA (the Inland empire)

Yeah, Corey runs his own shop in Upland (about an hour from High Voltage Tattoo in LA) called “Six Feet Under”. You can google the name for their website. He does some good portrait work. I like Miami Ink better than LA Ink, because I’m not a big fan of black and white tattoos, which seems to be LA Ink’s main area of expertise.

sparticius
    Participant
    @sparticius

Love Corey and Darren Brass’ work, awesome styles each of them. As for prices, from what I’ve heard Miami is well over priced and to get tattooed by the guys you have to have one hell of a sobs story cos they only tattoo on TV!

Guns don’t kill people, People kill people

Rockysmom
    Participant
    @rockysmom

LA Ink- Hannah Aitchison

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al
    Quote:
    As for prices, from what I’ve heard Miami is well over priced and to get tattooed by the guys you have to have one hell of a sobs story cos they only tattoo on TV!

Yup Chris used to work out of NY Adorned a good 15 or so years ago

IMHO the guys have done enough time in the “trenches” to capitalize on their new found fame and fortune – that said I would never ever pay some of the silly prices they charge in their shop now :confused:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.