CinnamonXSpider
    Participant
    @cinnamonxspider

Sup everyone. Name is Dallas. 24 year old dude from shitty Kansas :p Currently have 4 tats (will post pix later) one is Jack & Sally, Beetlejuice and Lydia, rainbow stars, and Oblina from AAAH! Real Monsters. With plans of many many more. Left arm will end up being a Tim Burton sleeve. I’m here to meet some cool new people for advice and networking. Also here because I’ve been considering pursuing tattooing as a career path but have been told not to due to having no raw drawing talent, HOWEVER I have decent talent as a painter given a detailed outline which my close friend usually draws for me. I would love opinions on this because people say you need to be artistically creative to pursue tattooing and although I cannot draw I know I paint well. I have good detail to coloring and shading and mixing colors to compliment each other and I am definitely a creative person. I am currently in hair school and finish in 6-7 months and upon completing school I will decide whether or not to pursue it. Please lay on your opinions ๐Ÿ™‚

Bit about me:
    420 fan
    Hookah
    Horror movies
    Female fronted metal/rock i.e. Kittie, Otep, In This Moment, Jack Off Jill, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Painting
    Nature
    Reading

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

Hi Dallas and welcome to the forum! to be a tattoo artist you do need to be artistic, however you could be a flash tattooist who just does the stencils and tattoo’s simple flash pieces.

CinnamonXSpider
    Participant
    @cinnamonxspider

Sup ๐Ÿ™‚ Never heard of those but I shall look into it. I want to do detailed pieces as well as simple ones. I know tattooing isn’t just outlining and coloring it in otherwise everyone would do it but since thats what I do with my paintings and I know I do it well I feel like with the right amount of practice I could do good tats. I may never be amazing but I feel like I could be pretty good. I’m getting all the stuff I need for my bday which just passed. Got a Diablo machine and some ink and all the basics and I plan on just using the fake skin stuff to practice and build a portfolio with.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

If you want to pursue tattooing properly it’s time to see about getting you’reself on a college course for art, and practising as much as you can on realistic stuff not tattoo related stuff to start out with, for example draw a bowl of fruit. After completing you’re college course get you’reself a portfolio together and seek a apprentiship and a good respectable shop with good tattoo artists.

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

If you can’t draw you can’t tattoo. Practice that first.

And welcome to the forum.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

smoking dope is so fucking cool hell yeah 420 forever piss dawg straight up

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum.
    First off read the forum: So You Want To be a Tattoo artist.

Read that then talk to us.

Good luck!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Welcome mate ๐Ÿ™‚

CinnamonXSpider
    Participant
    @cinnamonxspider

Well my boyfriend bought me my tattoo machine for my bday. Its a Diablo Swiss Rotary and for the time being I shall practice on skins and whatnot but I have no intentions of practicing on people, even myself. Once I finish cosmo school I will seek out an apprenticeship and I even signed up for summer drawing lessons so we shall see where this takes me ๐Ÿ™‚

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

@CinnamonXSpider 126327 wrote:

Well my boyfriend bought me my tattoo machine for my bday. Its a Diablo Swiss Rotary and for the time being I shall practice on skins and whatnot but I have no intentions of practicing on people, even myself. Once I finish cosmo school I will seek out an apprenticeship and I even signed up for summer drawing lessons so we shall see where this takes me ๐Ÿ™‚

don’t practice on skin because tattoo artists hate people who practice on there own, you will pick up bad habbits which will make it harder for you in the long run. Do not tattoo anythnig until you’re mentor tell’s you that you are ready and just pick up a pencil and get drawing.. you’re jumping in at the deep end.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.