LoweRD08m3
Participant
@lowerd08m3

Hi everyone I’m new here obviously. I’m from just outside Philadelphia, about 5 minutes from the airport. I got my first tattoo in january. I wouldn’t even call it a tattoo just some text (boo lol). Started my second in february and have an appointment to finish it march 7th. I have another appointment April 19th to start a half sleeve and I am super stoked for it. Needless to say I have fallen in love with the art of tattooing. Once I fall in love I tend to obsess, so I think you will be seeing me here quite often now.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
LoweRD08m3;108495 wrote:
Once I fall in love I tend to obsess, so I think you will be seeing me here quite often now.

You’re not alone. I got my first in October 2010, my 2nd in April 2011 and I will get my 3rd and 4th in 2 weeks.

LoweRD08m3
Participant
@lowerd08m3

Sweet what are you getting and what part of PA are you in? If you don’t mind me asking.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Hi! Welcome to the forum!! Yes, once you get a tattoo, it is hard to stop with just one! Lucky you getting ready to have a half sleeve done! :):):):):)

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Hummm…..obsession?…………hummm……I wouldnt know anytng about that……..but welcome to the forum.

If you feel like it, tell us about the sleeve your getting, who youve picked to do the work and we sure would like to see some pics,

You live in a great area with many top artists well within your reach, lucky dog

LoweRD08m3
Participant
@lowerd08m3

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I chose Myke Chambers to do the work on my half sleeve. It will be a pirate ship/ nautical themed piece. We only spoke briefly about the piece when I made the deposit and just gave him that general idea. He said he will contact me when it gets a little closer to my appointment and discuss what exactly we want to put into it. So that is where I am at with it right now. I will certainly post up pics of my other work, which being my firsts, have their faults. As soon as I begin the sleeve in April I will start a thread and go into more detail about the content and reasons for choosing them. Thanks again everyone.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Myke Chambers, good choice. ๐Ÿ™‚

LoweRD08m3
Participant
@lowerd08m3

Here is what I have so far. My main complaint is the lack of symmetry between the wings. I didn’t want the traditional Phoenix that everyone gets. I gave the artist an image I liked and told him I didn’t want it exactly the way it was but liked the general shape. I didnt really think too much when I saw the stencil on me I was just so excited for my first real tattoo. I can’t really blame him to much as the wings are exactly like they are in the reference photo I gave him. He freehanded the bottom portion on. I go back Wednesday to have the color and everything done. It’s a learning experience for me and each tattoo I get will be better than the last. I had this done by a guy named Chris Maier at Studio One which is where Dave Fox used to work out of. They are pretty reputable shop in my area.

927F9E33.jpg

Here is the reference I gave him. I knew the lines from it would translate to a tattoo which is why I said just use the general shape. Over all I think he did a decent job. But still the left wing does bother me and I will see if there is anything he can do on Wednesday to make it look more like the other side.
phoenix_by_takaya90-d310b79.jpg

Panter
Participant
@panter

Maybe it’s just the photo but it doesn’t look asymmetrical to me? looks superb in fact!

LoweRD08m3
Participant
@lowerd08m3

You are exactly right, that was my issue with it. It is not symmetrical. The wing is really the only part I would like to be made more symmetrical. When I go back Wednesday for color I am going to ask if there is anything he can do to make it more balanced looking. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

At the angle the phoenix is at, it wouldn’t look right if the wings were perfectly symmetrical.

That reference photo kind of reminds of this phoenix that Matthew Clarke did.

phoenix-tattoo.jpg

Panter
Participant
@panter

I’m saying it looks symmetrical to me! i.e not asymmetric
OK there are small differences in the feathers etc, but in my opinion that’s better than a mirror image copy, the “weighting” of it looks fine in your photo.

Either way, good luck and keep the pictures coming ๐Ÿ™‚

LoweRD08m3
Participant
@lowerd08m3

Ok cool I misunderstood. Thanks so much for the input I really do appreciate it. Any ideas for something to add to the background like some smoke or just some color shading to give it some more depth?
And man the days seem to go by so slow waiting to start my half sleeve. I am beyond super stoked to get working on that thing. I feel like I mad the appointment a year ago when really its ky been a month so far lol.

Panter
Participant
@panter
LoweRD08m3;108554 wrote:
Ok cool I misunderstood. Thanks so much for the input I really do appreciate it. Any ideas for something to add to the background like some smoke or just some color shading to give it some more depth?

Sorry dude, you’re asking the wrong person. Seriously, I have bags of lettuce in my refrigerator that have more artistic ability than me…

I know I’m guilty of saying this a lot, but consult with your artist as to what to add, they’re the people qualified to do it ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.