hheath541
    Participant
    @hheath541

i got a tattoo on my right breast several days ago. most of it is healing fine and looks great. it’s just that in a couple spots there are ‘holes’ where the inked skin kinda just ‘fell off’ and left a raw wound in it’s place. it was healing a bit slower and weeping a bit more than the rest of the tattoo, but i figured it was just because of the softer tissue in that area. then, last night, what i thought was a scab washed off when i was cleaning it.

before you ask, i went to professional tattoo parlor with trained artists who use clean tools. i also got another tattoo from the same place (different artist) a couple months ago on my left breast. that tattoo healed just fine and i had no adverse reactions to the ink or the process.

i also followed the correct aftercare procedures. i kept it clean, didn’t use medicated creams that could fade the ink, lotioned it to keep it from drying out too much, and covered it with a gauze pad for the first couple days because it was still a little weepy and to keep my clothes from rubbing against it.

my new tattoo is a rainbow celtic knot, but the only part with the problem is the bottom, with the purple and black ink. my last tattoo was all purple and black, so i know it’s not a reaction to the ink.

my personal theory is that the needle severed most of the connective tissue. what was left died and dried up because there was no blood getting to the area. the dead skin then just came off when there was nothing left to attach it, taking part of my tattoo with it. the wound left behind isn’t infected or inflamed, just a wound.

what I’m wondering is if anyone has heard of something like this happening to anyone else. I’d also like any input with additional theories on what might have caused this, and advise on how to proceed from here.

i plan on getting it filled in once it’s completely healed. what I’m undecided about is if i should have the same artist do it or have a different artist as the same place do it. I’m not sure if it’s something about the artist’s technique that caused the problem.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Heath

I have heard of various issues but I would need a pic to be of more help.

Now before anybody goes off on a perv tangent I have no interest in seeing your breast. I only need a pic of the area where the wound is you can censor any pic with paint program. This can be sent to me by PM or by email.

There are a few reasons why this may have happened;

1. Overwork on the area the flesh becomes ‘torn’ underneath and the ink does not take properly when it is in the healing process.

2. You could have caught the scab when it has rubbed against your clothes which has ‘pulled’ the ink out.

3. It could be a reaction to the ink and you have rejected the pigment – quite rare but not unheard of.

4. Epidermal necrosis this what you suggested where blood flow is restricted and flesh withers and dies – this is extremely rare and is more linked to gangrene. Which I do not think you will be suffering from.

If you do not wish to send a pic (perfectly understandable) my general advice is this;

1. Bathe the area daily and make sure it is kept clean.

2. Avoid any rubbing against the area.

3. Make sure there are no signs of infection and check out paranoid about infection thread.

4. Wait at least 4 weeks (6 weeks is optium) before you get it filled in again.

Take Care
    Matthew

hheath541
    Participant
    @hheath541

i have no problem posting a pic. because of the placement it’s actually very easy to get a pic that doesn’t need to be edited for modesty. i’ll post one in this thread tonight or tomorrow. I’m just sitting in the middle of a public building right now and don’t really have the option of taking one to post ^_^

i doubt I’m rejecting the ink. the entire purple area isn’t effeted, and it’s the same purple that was used on my other tattoo. I’m leaning more toward your first suggestion. thank you.

i have a bandaid covering the area right now, since it is an open wound. it’s weeping a bit, but only blood and clear fluid. so far there’s no sign of any infection.

hheath541
    Participant
    @hheath541

sorry it took so long, but here’s the pic. it’s the best i could get. the biggest spot effected is the red spot on the bottom.

HPIM3098.jpg

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Looking at that pic it looks like the area may have been overworked a little and then rubbed by your clothing which has irritated it further. 🙁

You will need to keep it sterile and make sure no infection gets into it. I would also advise against wearing anything tight that can cause it to sweat as bacteria can build up in it. You want a loose fitting top as you do not want to rip any of the tattoo.

My advice is let heal for at least 6 weeks and then head back for a touch up on the area. The ink should take fine after that point.

Sadly your ink has definitely dropped out. This is not a major issue as long as you let it heal and do not be tempted to pick at it as will likley scab heavily over that patch.

Take Care
    Matthew

hheath541
    Participant
    @hheath541

thanks ^_^

it’s already scabbed and seems to be healing nicely. i plan to go back to have it touched up over the summer. I’m just glad i know why it happened. thank you, very much.

imthenewcancer7
    Participant
    @imthenewcancer7

looks like the artist went a over the bottom alot and dog meated it

JoeyBear
    Participant
    @joeybear

Give it a few weeks to heal and then go back to have it retouched. It happens and should be nothing to worry about.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.