FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

Newest piece just finished yesterday. This is the start of my legs, first one.

Cheers,
Marcus

BoltThrower
Participant
@boltthrower

I like the artistic style of this tattoo. Looks cool.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

That is a nice style of portrait.

Are you building a theme around it with other ink or leaving as a stand alone piece?

Take care
Matthew

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

looks awesome dude, congrats!

FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

Thanks

@Matthew
– the thing with me is I don’t like to hinder any artist who tattoos me, I just give complete freedom, if I like what they sketch up then I get it. I will be going back to see if he actually can turn this leg into some sort of theme. I’ll find out in two weeks when I’m back down for the next area on this leg.

Cheers
Marcus

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’ll be honest, I don’t like this too much. I think many of the lines are too bold and inconsistent, especially at the top of the skull. It also looks like I see alot of blownout lines although maybe just because it’s new. I aslo don’t really like the shape of the mouth and the lines on the side extend out too far. To me, I also think the eyes are a little too big and the right eye has an oddly shaped outline at the top. I love gypsy tattoos but this one just isn’t working for me in my honest opinion.

FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

I’ve got no blow-outs. The artist who tattooed me use to be the shop owners apprentice and the bold lines is kind of what they do, it’s they’re style. All I know is all the line work is bang on and I love it. The photo is with my phone and on a bad angle, not kept that still either. Respect your input though. Once it heals I’ll be taking a better shot and hopefully with a better camera.

Cheers
Marcus

Amok
Participant
@amok

The face looks strange to me, otherwise a nice looking tattoo, congrats

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I love the skull. I do however think the girl looks too monochromatic. I think she’d look great with some color to her. Maybe some red in her lips. Over all the design is cool but the coloring choices made could have been better.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I love the concept of this with the skull on her head and the jaw around her neck. But to me it looks very amateurishly done. the face just looks off and the shading looks dirty. I agree with Adler that top line looks to be a big blow out then it looks like he went over it again to thicken the line to hide it. It may be his style but I’m no fan. We all can’t like the same thing that is why they more then just vanilla ice cream. I guess as long as your happy thats all that matters.

FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

As I said he was an apprentice, and he’s been tattooing for about 1.5 years now, still learning.

This is his stuff

http://www.matamatastudios.com/custom-tattoos-hamilton-cambridge-toronto-ontario/tommy

and his mentor is Rick

http://www.matamatastudios.com/custom-tattoos-hamilton-cambridge-toronto-ontario/dicki

Cheers,
Marcus

BoltThrower
Participant
@boltthrower

His portfolio sucks. Sorry man like I said I like your tattoo but he is no prodigy.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I think people when it comes to discussing tattoo’s have extremely high standards and compare all artists to people like “Jeff Gogue” “Cecil Porter” well you see where im going….

A lot of tattoo artists are better than others but we should set the rating as high as the greats of tattooing. I know a lot of you will say “your one to speak” because people do say i have poorly done tattoo’s but i actually think that this piece he has got done is nice, Obviously it could of been done better if he went to a better artist (obviously) but it’s still a good tattoo i think.

:rolleyes:

Adler
Participant
@adler
Wardy;96539 wrote:
I think people when it comes to discussing tattoo’s have extremely high standards and compare all artists to people like “Jeff Gogue” “Cecil Porter” well you see where im going….

A lot of tattoo artists are better than others but we should set the rating as high as the greats of tattooing. I know a lot of you will say “your one to speak” because people do say i have poorly done tattoo’s but i actually think that this piece he has got done is nice, Obviously it could of been done better if he went to a better artist (obviously) but it’s still a good tattoo i think.

:rolleyes:

You make it sound as if having high standards for something permanently inked on your body is a bad thing, maybe that’s been your problem to this point. And for me, personally, I don’t need to compare the tattoos I see to those of Gogue or Porter or anyone else. A good tattoo is a good tattoo and an average tattoo is just that and if you know what you’re looking at you can tell the difference without needing to compare it to someone else’s work. If you’re willing to settle for average or below then that’s your business but I try not to. With this particular tattoo, it definitely shows that it was done by an inexperienced artist and could have been done much better. Is it terrible, no, but if it was me I wouldn’t be happy with it but if the wearer is happy then good for them. That still doesn’t change the fact that it’s not overly well done.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.