clay1680
@

this is my new tat i got done by a buddy of mine who is apprenticing right now. its covering up an old tattoo of some white letter i had done a while ago. opinions welcome

u7qq1.jpg

livetothefullest
Participant
@livetothefullest

Pretty nice, I mean, you can definitely tell it was done by an inexperienced artist, some of the lining is off, are you planning on adding any color? I think it would improve the tattoo ALOT

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

It’s on the low end of mediocre.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Amok
Participant
@amok

its ok, you can tell it was done by an apprentice. Have you considered getting a pro to finish it? It could probably end out real nice. Sounds like you want to give your friend some practice though.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Stop while you can.

pete28
Participant
@pete28

It has some potential if color is to be added. I think every apprentice has to start somewhere. When you say apprentice do you mean they are at a reputable shop going through the day to day of learning to tattoo? Or is someone showing them just enough to get started. I ask because the latter of the two may not help them down the road.

Pete

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I think it’s pretty funny everybody saying you can tell it was done by an apprentice. I can’t it looks better then half the shit on here. I would advise these people to look at it again while yes some of the lines are wonky but there are no blow outs and no start and stops. Definitely not the most solid line work but not bad at all it will turn out fine if your friend is as equally as competent in coloring and shading. congrats

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka
buttwheat;93650 wrote:
I think it’s pretty funny everybody saying you can tell it was done by an apprentice. I can’t it looks better then half the shit on here. I would advise these people to look at it again while yes some of the lines are wonky but there are no blow outs and no start and stops. Definitely not the most solid line work but not bad at all it will turn out fine if your friend is as equally as competent in coloring and shading. congrats

i have to agree with buttwheat. when i first saw it i thought it was VERY well done for an apprentice. then i saw the comments and i thought i was missing something. i think if you didnt mention “apprentice” in the original thread people wouldnt have even known. its not the best line work but definitely not bad by any means.

Adler
Participant
@adler
yodaddynukka;93664 wrote:
i have to agree with buttwheat. when i first saw it i thought it was VERY well done for an apprentice. then i saw the comments and i thought i was missing something. i think if you didnt mention “apprentice” in the original thread people wouldnt have even known. its not the best line work but definitely not bad by any means.

I’m going to third that opinion and me and the above two posters are pretty critical and mostly know what we’re looking at. I really don’t think it’s too bad at all and I’d definitely say so if I thought it. Right now it just looks incomplete. For an apprentice I think the linework is above average and as buttwheat said, better than some stuff we’ve seen posted by regular artists. Hopefully the apprentice friend is comfortable with colors and shading or it can be ruined. I think where it goes from here will make or break this tattoo. It needs to be finished but if not finished well it could be a mess. If you need to have it completed by a more experienced artist then you should but right now it’s pretty good in my opinion.

FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

I’ll quickly fourth that 🙂

cheers,
Marcus

Amok
Participant
@amok

Its neck looks broken to me, the wings are ok but that’s about it.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I’d say that it shows that it’s done by someone who not very good at drawing anatomical/biological forms, but that could apply to half of the tattooists on the planet and not just the apprentices 🙂

Adler
Participant
@adler
Amok;93682 wrote:
Its neck looks broken to me, the wings are ok but that’s about it.

Looking at it again I’ll definitely concede the neck looks off but overall I still think it’s decent.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

This thread amazes me how either people don’t know shit about tattoos or just follow what others say. Or maybe I don’t know shit about tattoos but honestly I really don’t see much wrong with it. As for the neck I’m pretty sure this is a flash piece and this dude is just tattooing what’s there. To the OP congrats on the good start on your new cover up.

clay1680
@

hey thanks everyone for the comments. yea i picked a flash piece and had him do his thing so not much changed from the original except the wings a little bit. so the comment about he doesnt know much about anatomy or whatever doesnt really mean shit with this piece. but yea i thought it turned out well and im happy with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.