slapdash92
Participant
@slapdash92

I have obsessive compulsive disorder, and would like to have a tattoo done as an ode to it. Does anyone know of any positive symbols for mental illness’ of any kind?
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much. 🙂

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

Hmmm, I suppose that would depend on how you view your OCD. If it isn’t so extreme that it’s maladaptive and you feel it defines you then something along the lines of precision and orderliness might suit. On the other hand if it is something you had to face to keep it from disturbing your life then perhaps something that symbolizes resilence, perserverence, or victory. Basically how do you feel about your OCD and what do you associate with it? If you can answer that question it’ll help with ideas.

slapdash92
Participant
@slapdash92

it’s more of a thing i had to face. i want something that symbolizes conquering it, and not letting it get a hold on my life, but at the same time still living with it. kind of like having a “healthy” relationship with it

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

When you said living with it the first thing that I pictured was a set of balancing scales to indicate balance, perhaps with a sword driven into the ground in front of them to indicate your struggles and conquest to get that balance. Although a lot of people think of judgement when they see a set of scales.If that doesn’t quite suit then I’m sure someone else will have an idea that does.

slapdash92
Participant
@slapdash92

those are really good ideas!
i’m thinking something along the lines of symbols for acceptance, or healing too.

SRC
Participant
@src

wow this thread really struck me, because i too have OCD and was diagnosed with it from a very young age. personally, my OCD manifested itself in very specific compulsions and repetitions. so maybe if there is a certain pattern in your life that your OCD repeatedly deals with, or maybe a certain incident or memorable episode that was difficult to overcome, you could incorporate that into your tattoo. i think no matter what you decide on, it will be a very powerful piece because this is a very personal and abstract disorder. good luck with everything 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.