aldridge09
    Participant
    @aldridge09

Both tats….”God With Us” My name is matthew and thats what it means. Came up with the design myself and drew it. Cross isnt original. I hate it kind of now becuase its on the itnernet but w/e.

aldridge09
    Participant
    @aldridge09

are the pics not showing up? cause they arent on my comp…

aldridge09
    Participant
    @aldridge09

tatttt.jpg
    tatstt.jpg
    “God With Us” What my name means..Matthew. My own font design and drawing. Cross not original…sadly.
    tatsta.jpg
    here we go…

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

A cross is a cross right ? why hate it because its on the internet ??
    they is never much you can do with religious symbols to make them new and different from everyone elses .

looks fine to me , not my own faith but i can forgive you for that LOL

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

He should hate it–it’s generic. It shows that rather putting thought and reflection and emotion into his devotional piece, he picked a dime a dozen flash piece off an artist’s wall and said “I want that one”. By getting a run of the mill cross, rather than thinking before he inked, it shows that he puts little to no thought into his faith, and thus it means about jack shit.

But, at least it was well done, right? It would be so much worse if his tattoo artist was incompetent on top of it.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

rev_martin4
    Participant
    @rev_martin4
    KnightHawk;38316 wrote:
    He should hate it–it’s generic. It shows that rather putting thought and reflection and emotion into his devotional piece, he picked a dime a dozen flash piece off an artist’s wall and said “I want that one”. By getting a run of the mill cross, rather than thinking before he inked, it shows that he puts little to no thought into his faith, and thus it means about jack shit.

But, at least it was well done, right? It would be so much worse if his tattoo artist was incompetent on top of it.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Why must tattoos be non-generic, show thought, reflection and emotion? Mine shows none of those and was just the result of me working with my artist to design something that I think looks really cool and will enjoy for a long time.

-Rev

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    rev_martin4;38319 wrote:
    Why must tattoos be non-generic, show thought, reflection and emotion? Mine shows none of those and was just the result of me working with my artist to design something that I think looks really cool and will enjoy for a long time.

-Rev

I don’t believe that tattoos need to have a meaning. Whenever someone tells me their tattoo has a deeper meaning, I kinda roll my eyes because the stories are either bullshit or a cliche. Of my own tattoos, only one has a meaning–the one me and my wife both got for our third wedding anniversery, and sometimes I roll my eyes at myself over it. Putting overdone meanings into tattoos misses the point. Tattooing is the most pure form of art for art’s sake there is. You do it just because it’s awesome.

But you *do* have to think about it. Hell, you did. You worked with your artist to come up with a killer design. That’s thought, that’s reflection. Frankly, you kind of contridicited your first sentence with your second.

When you’re get what everyone else has, it ain’t art–it’s a fashion accessory. It shows you just didn’t give a fuck. That you’re getting a tattoo to be edgy, or cool.

And that’s even more true if you do choose to have meaning behind your work. When you choose to try to symbolize something in your life, such as faith, it’s even more important to think about your design, to show what it actually means to you. To show that you care deeply about that subject, enough that you want to mark your body for life to proclaim to everyone how awesome that thing is.

By thoughtlessly choosing a religious design off a wall shows that you don’t think about your faith. Getting a heart with your girlfriend’s name in it shows you don’t really think about your love.

For a thing to have meaning, by definition it has to have thought and reflection put into it, otherwise it does not, in fact, have a meaning. Even without meaning, you have to think about your design so it doesn’t suck.

In short, your post is something else you should have put some thought into.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

All meaning and thought aside.

The ink is well executed and nice line work. Ideally I would like closer pics of it if possible. I particulary like the font used.

As for the meaning – well you sparked a serious theological debate between me and my mates (we just love these challenges 馃檪 ).

The Hebrew is below

诪转转讬讛讜 (Matatyahu, Mattathias) or 诪转讬转讬讛讜 (Matityahu, Mattithiah), or can be read 诪转谞讬讛讜 (Matanyahu, Mattaniah)

Matthew means “gift of God”

That said (and there were 2 rabbis and a vicar who got in on this)

The greek 螠伪胃胃伪喂慰蟼 ( I think Mattay – my greek sucks) to the Latin Matth忙us is suggestive that God has imparted a gift of himself to you and so indeed is with you.

Anyhow it gave us something to fight over for a bit.

Take care
    Matthew

rev_martin4
    Participant
    @rev_martin4
    KnightHawk;38349 wrote:
    I don’t believe that tattoos need to have a meaning. Whenever someone tells me their tattoo has a deeper meaning, I kinda roll my eyes because the stories are either bullshit or a cliche. Of my own tattoos, only one has a meaning–the one me and my wife both got for our third wedding anniversery, and sometimes I roll my eyes at myself over it. Putting overdone meanings into tattoos misses the point. Tattooing is the most pure form of art for art’s sake there is. You do it just because it’s awesome.

But you *do* have to think about it. Hell, you did. You worked with your artist to come up with a killer design. That’s thought, that’s reflection. Frankly, you kind of contridicited your first sentence with your second.

When you’re get what everyone else has, it ain’t art–it’s a fashion accessory. It shows you just didn’t give a fuck. That you’re getting a tattoo to be edgy, or cool.

And that’s even more true if you do choose to have meaning behind your work. When you choose to try to symbolize something in your life, such as faith, it’s even more important to think about your design, to show what it actually means to you. To show that you care deeply about that subject, enough that you want to mark your body for life to proclaim to everyone how awesome that thing is.

By thoughtlessly choosing a religious design off a wall shows that you don’t think about your faith. Getting a heart with your girlfriend’s name in it shows you don’t really think about your love.

For a thing to have meaning, by definition it has to have thought and reflection put into it, otherwise it does not, in fact, have a meaning. Even without meaning, you have to think about your design so it doesn’t suck.

In short, your post is something else you should have put some thought into.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Maybe I should have left “thought” out of my first sentence and would have had I put more “thought” into my post.

-Rev

aldridge09
    Participant
    @aldridge09

the font is just one i put “time” into to come up with so it wasnt like my cross where everyone has one sort of like mine. also, not to spark anymore conflict, i found my cross after a few hours of looking on the internet and tweaking the design slightly. not the flash off the wall. but anyway if you still want close up pics i ca get em just lemme know!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.