Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

First of Id just like to say this is a Work In Progress, constructive criticism is welcome but please bare in mind that what you are criticizing is not the finished article most of the pictures were taken just after the session or the next day using a camera phone the quality of which sometimes leaves a lot to be desired used under artificial lighting conditions.

Also in some places we are working from light to dark colours —again not the conventional way of doing things but there is method in the madness also what may look like holidays are there for a reason —they will be filled in at a latter date

In the beginning there was some fresh canvas just calling out for some colour to be added to it .I’d had some tattoos (about twenty pieces) done over the years on my arms and never quite got the urge to get more out of my system.

sb1.jpg

With the premature arrival of my first grandchild Carly Louise on the 4th July 2008 it was the ideal excuse to add more ink so after three visits to three different studios picking up a new piece at each —- Her name twice with some Celtic work and a small custom piece I designed myself) I finally met up with a guy called Steve Martin at Hemswell body studio in Lincolnshire.

The passion this guy showed for his work along with the quality convinced me that I’d finally found the person I was going to entrust my back piece to — so on the 29th of Sept 2008 we laid in some out lines based round a design from Insane Tattoos .

25092008176.jpg

On the 10th October we started laying in some colour

2ndsess.jpg

AhshKoshBGosh
    Participant
    @ahshkoshbgosh

ooo ahhhh…. very nice start! Will be fun watching it progress into the finally piece. 😀

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

Weekly visits saw the sides starting to get filled in

3sessa.jpg

4thsessb.jpg

And on the 30th October I decided I wanted a base piece based on a couple of designs Id seen on the web that I decided I wanted to mix and match to give me a semi original piece.

30102008320.jpg

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

7thsessb.jpg

5thsessb.jpg

That brings us up to date had a major change of plan,—-had hoped that we would be inlaying the centre piece this week but after much deliberation it has been decided that it wouldn’t look right so therefore has been scrapped, settled for a bit of work on the left hand side which will now be giving a months holiday to heal before final touches are added

5thdeca.jpg

5dec2008.jpg

.Now I should have enough bits for him to work on in rotation and hopefully will be completed (first stage) early in the new year.

So what comes next? Well I have some thoughts on some side pieces and a chest piece but haven’t gone firm with them just yet, think 2009 could be a busy year for me under the needle

Any /All suggestions for what would look good in the centre feel free to voice a opinion

got some artwork/flash you want to see on flesh post it up

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

lol love the very beginning stewart, hehehe virgin skin:D The backpiece looks fab

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

nice post, great to see photo’s of a piece as it progresses, i like the dragon, they look great in blue… nice choice :thumbs up: whos your artist ?

Bexxybex
    Participant
    @bexxybex

Wow, I love the bit at the top! Really nice

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

@Outlaw 31034 wrote:

nice post, great to see photo’s of a piece as it progresses, i like the dragon, they look great in blue… nice choice :thumbs up: whos your artist ?

Great guy by the name of Steve (Doc) Martin of Hemswell Body Studio Hemswell Cliff Lincolnshire. He has a passion for his work that hasnt weakend even after 25 years in the trade wish Id come accross him years ago 🙂 By the way I love the artwork on the walls of your studio—did you paint it yourself:)

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

@Bexxybex 31037 wrote:

Wow, I love the bit at the top! Really nice

LOL My 17 year old son wants that as a stand alone tattoo next year when hes old enough (maybe change the center for a yin yang or something):)

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

there are a few wobbly lines but nothing that cant be touched up, i dont think the swords at the bottom are doing his work any justice, and dont think the swords blades will withstand the challenge of time,.. im probably being premature and he may have just put quick scratch outlined to save having to re-stencil it, then sculpt the lines next time and do the shading.. ??

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

@Outlaw 31044 wrote:

there are a few wobbly lines but nothing that cant be touched up, i dont think the swords at the bottom are doing his work any justice, and dont think the swords blades will withstand the challenge of time,.. im probably being premature and he may have just put quick scratch outlined to save having to re-stencil it, then sculpt the lines next time and do the shading.. ??

Yep still got shading on the blades to do and more work round the flower to be put in —- as I said WIP —when its finished there wont be any flesh on show so any defects /wobbly lines will be repaired or scratched out as I say this bit was my design so only have myself to blame if it doesent turn out well still have a couple of inches below that part of the design that may get filled in with mini demon heads — or may go girly and have some more flowers / lotus /cherry blosum along there:)

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

Sorry I’ve not been around —real world problems interfering with my fun. So a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you All LOL look forward to catching up on all the new stuff:)

No work done since the fifth of December so I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms, managed to get some time on the 10th Jan and so the phoenix was born (or at least started)

10012009324.jpg

Only lasted a hour an a half, had been suffering from lower back pain all December so couldn’t sit for as long as I wanted to (that and it frigin hurt LOL)

One week latter the Foo Dogs were added no more worries about lower back pain so saw out both sets of outlining with no problems ( bout a hour an a half )

17012009402.jpg

17012009405.jpg

Starting to take shape now but

real world problems again so not sure when I will be continuing —-hopefully not to long

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

wow holy moly stewart, looking great and great to see you back:D

whoji
    Participant
    @whoji

Poor design, poorly executed by a substandard artist. The whole design lack originality and imagination. There is a distinct lack of skill in both the line work (shaky and crowded in places) and color. The artist neglected to use shading and color to bring animation and life to the pieces. This not a back piece as there is no flow or link to each design,.
    Overall an mediocre, uninspiring and unimaginative piece of work. If you compare this to any back piece in any Tattoo magazine in your local newsagent you will see the comparison. And if you see a major difference the question you must ask yourself is why, in this day and age, would you settle for anything else?

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack
    whoji;34616 wrote:
    Poor design, poorly executed by a substandard artist. The whole design lack originality and imagination. There is a distinct lack of skill in both the line work (shaky and crowded in places) and color. The artist neglected to use shading and color to bring animation and life to the pieces. This not a back piece as there is no flow or link to each design,.
    Overall an mediocre, uninspiring and unimaginative piece of work. If you compare this to any back piece in any Tattoo magazine in your local newsagent you will see the comparison. And if you see a major difference the question you must ask yourself is why, in this day and age, would you settle for anything else?

Thanks for your input, I now feel so ashamed I may never take my shirt of in public again excuse me whilst I slip away into a corner and slash my wrists LOL:p

OR

I can continue and get it completed which seams a much better choice to me and maybe one day you might even see something you like about it, not that it matters much to me as it is being done for me not you or a mainstream tattoo magazine LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.