scubaron
    Participant
    @scubaron

I’m new to tattoos having started last year.

I’ve read as skin and tattoos age, the lines get thicker and blurry. I imagine that can might make some highly detailed tattoos age poorly ?

I wanted more detail in my octopus tattoo, but my artist said too much detail would not look good. He has 15+ yrs experience so I figured I should take his advice.

I really like the highly detailed tattoos I’m seeing from some of the new younger artists, but can a tattoo have too much detail ?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

I think a lot has to do with the way you take care of your tattoos.

I put sunscreen and moisturizer on with a miniature paint roller.

Keep tattoos moisturized and out of the sun and they, as well as your skin, will look good for a very long time.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Short answer yes

scubaron
    Participant
    @scubaron

@Sam-I-Am 142114 wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

I think a lot has to do with the way you take care of your tattoos.

I put sunscreen and moisturizer on with a miniature paint roller.

Keep tattoos moisturized and out of the sun and they, as well as your skin, will look good for a very long time.

Paint roller ?

Anyway, I know keeping away from sun and using moisturizer will help all tattoos and skin look better, but skin does age, wrinkle and stretch, no matter what you do. And supposedly tattoo lines do get thicker and blur as a result of ink and skin aging.

I’m 49, my new tattoos don’t look as good on my skin as they would if I was 20, but then again, when I am 59 my tattoos will only have 10 yrs. of aging.

Guess what I am really asking is does anyone have or has seen a very detailed tattoo age well ?

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Depends on the artist and their experience as well. Some newbies make extremely detailed tattoos that look like shit after 2 years, some very experienced and talented artists make the most detailed, realistic pieces that look good after 10 years. Hyper realism is fairly new, only a few have been doing it for more than 5-6 yrs or so, so it’s kinda hard to tell!

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Another advantage to waiting until you are a little older before you get your first tattoo is that by the time they start to blur your eyesight won’t be what it once was so the whole world will have blurred just a little. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Also I was talking to an artist recently who does realism and has done a lot of work on a client who uses vitamin E oil twice a day, every day. This fellow has been getting tattooed for 15 years and he said that you cannot tell which is the newer work and which is over a decade old, but I didn’t see it with my own eyes. Science tells us that the cells that hold the ink divide and eventually die and are reabsorbed, so the ink will spread. I got realism tattoos anyway, and I love them, but since I was in my 40s when I started I am not that concerned.

scubaron
    Participant
    @scubaron

@poxphobia 142127 wrote:

Depends on the artist and their experience as well. Some newbies make extremely detailed tattoos that look like shit after 2 years, some very experienced and talented artists make the most detailed, realistic pieces that look good after 10 years. Hyper realism is fairly new, only a few have been doing it for more than 5-6 yrs or so, so it’s kinda hard to tell!

Anil Gupta has been around for a while. I’ve seen some amazingly detailed biomechanical and Giger tattoos by him. Really wish I could some how see they have aged.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

The paint roller really works on the back, and hard to reach places when my wife isn’t around to do it for me.

I seem to have lost the picture of it.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I quite recently saw a 5-6yr old realistic portrait done by an artist that is extremely talented, been mentioned on here several times as one of the best at realism. It looked like crap, to be honest. It was still a good tattoo, but it had not aged well, a lot of the details were gone, the softer colors had faded etc. However, I have heard that also this artist learned a lot from seeing these realistic tattoos age badly and changed some things, got better at it, and now they age much much better.

The tattoo in question had hardly ever seen the sun, so that wasn’t the problem at all. I just personally prefer experienced, talented artists willing to show healed work and also the occasional picture of a tattoo that’s a few years old. Nikko Hurtado recently posted one from 5yrs back and it still looked amazing.
    Remis is currently doing a very realistic, very colorful piece on me, and I trust him because of insane talent but also tons of experience ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m just early 20’s though, so I have a lot of years of fading ahead of me! Also depends a bit on your skin, actually. I’ve been told I’ve got tattoo perfect skin, but I’m honestly not quite sure what that means ๐Ÿ˜›

scubaron
    Participant
    @scubaron

Thanks, that is useful information.

I’m fascinated with highly detailed tattoos. I probably should be looking into buying highly detailed art like sketches, prints, paintings, etc.. Mediums that will hold and maintain the detail better than living, aging skin.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

My sleeve is very detailed and at the moment is still as good as the day it was done. Whatever happens personally I don’t give a shit lol

I had some nice art for the time I had it for.

I do look after mine and !y special potion I use does have pure vitamin E oil in it ๐Ÿ™‚

Go for it, life’s too short to worry about stupid shit like that, do it and enjoy your experience, in the end we will all look like shit ๐Ÿ™‚

scubaron
    Participant
    @scubaron

I hear ya Peter. Good points.

You have some of the most incredible tattoos I have ever scene. I have to believe in addition to artistic talent, experience has to be a factor. Your choices of artists are the best of the best.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@scubaron 142244 wrote:

I hear ya Peter. Good points.

You have some of the most incredible tattoos I have ever scene. I have to believe in addition to artistic talent, experience has to be a factor. Your choices of artists are the best of the best.

Thanks for the kind words mate ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.