0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

Hey, everyone. I’m new to the forum, and this is my first “non-introductory” thread. I have an appointment on May 23rd to get my first tattoo. It’s a small, simple piece. It’ll be a music staff with a treble clef, 3/4 time signature, two sixteenth, and one eighth note. The staff then trails off into swirl type things (kinda hard to describe). I’ve met with my artist and she seems to know exactly what I’m asking for, and she’s redrawing my sketch for me, since I’m not much of an artist.

I’m getting the tattoo on the side my side ribcage, around where a bra strap goes, and it’ll end up being around the size of a smartphone screen. I’ve heard that this is a particularly painful spot, so I’m pretty nervous. My question is: What should I expect when I go in to actually get my tattoo? What should I do to prepare? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Get a good night’s sleep the night before. Eat a good meal before you go. Both of these things will help a lot with pain tolerance.

Also, figure out now what you will wear because until it is healed enough (say 4-6 weeks) you cannot wear anything restrictive or that might rub the area. That means NO BRA.

Good luck.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

Thanks! What do I wear for actually getting the tattoo, since it’s in such a weird place?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Wear something comfortable that allows the tattooist full and clear access to the area, also wear something that you don’t mind getting ruined with ink.
    And as Lola said be well rested, hydrated and fed. It sounds like a quick tattoo so you probably won’t need snacks and beverages. Plan on it hurting (tattoos hurt) and being pretty sore for a few days. Bake some cookies for a tip to your tattooist

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

That makes sense. I’m trying to figure out my coverage options.

It should be pretty quick. I’m fully aware that it’ll hurt, and I’m a little worried about it.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome.

You got some good advice.

Good luck, and remember, we like pictures!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@0hmanda 139605 wrote:

That makes sense. I’m trying to figure out my coverage options.

If you are that modest about your tatas take an old t shirt and cut it so that the area that is being tattooed can be accessed and tape down the rest or just wear a shirt around your neck and hang it over your boobs. But really no one there cares to much about your boobs there wont be a bunch of 12 year old boys there trying to get a peak of side boob.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

I don’t really care about it for myself. I just didn’t know if artists generally preferred that you keep your boobs and such covered.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@0hmanda 139620 wrote:

I don’t really care about it for myself. I just didn’t know if artists generally preferred that you keep your boobs and such covered.

Most artists that I know focus on the task at hand which is tattooing, regardless where it’s located. It’s not unusual to see exposed bodies in a tattoo shop. I took this photograph at the Baltimore convention. (with her permission)

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

Oh, awesome. My friend told me to wear “sticky boobs”, which is like an adhesive bra, when I get it, but it’s awkward and uncomfortable, and I’d honestly just rather not be covered than deal with that.

Thaela
    Participant
    @thaela

I agree, just wear a loose fitting t-shirt. Hope you have some time off work unless you can work without wearing a bra! I’m going to get my sons name on my side rib cage this fall but I’m getting under the level of my bra strap. So a bra or bathing suit won’t cover it.

Definitely eat a good meal before you go, and also hydrate. If possible, have an idea how much it costs and what you might tip your artist ahead of time, since if you’re like me, you can’t think straight when your nerves are juggling after a 2 hour tattoo.

Good luck, post pics! ๐Ÿ™‚

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

That sounds like my best option. I should be able to work without one. It’ll just take some creativity and layering.

I think it should cost around $120, but I’m not sure how much standard tipping is.

Thank you! I will!

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@Thaela 139634 wrote:

I agree, just wear a loose fitting t-shirt. Hope you have some time off work unless you can without wearing a bra! I’m going to get my sons name on my side rib cage this fall but I’m getting under the level of my bra strap. So a bra or bathing suit won’t cover it.

Definitely eat a good meal before you go, and also hydrate. If possible, have an idea how much it costs and what you might tip your artist ahead of time, since if you’re like me, you can’t think straight when your nerves are juggling after a 2 hour tattoo.

Good luck, post pics! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one who can’t do math after a tattoo session!! Like Thaela I figure it out beforehand. Or just ask the artist what I owe – but computing that tip?? It is like doing math when high or something.

The last artist handed me back $200 because I overpaid/over tipped. Just wouldn’t keep it. (how Canadian of him!)

Another suggestion for clothing that allows basic coverage but access to the area is to bring a zip up hoodie to wear during the tattoo. Put it on backwards without doing it up. Voila, boobies are covered.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

A backwards zip up is a really smart idea. I wouldn’t have thought of that!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.