Gnarlymilk
    Participant
    @gnarlymilk

Nikko does some unbelievable work, top notch. His style is just down right sick. So don’t chastise me me when I ask what these tattoos look like years down the road. I only ask because of the little black that is used, color will always fade and its the black that holds the design together. Every Nikko pc I seen is always shortly after it is finished. No matter the outcome I would take a Nikko tat any day of the week.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Why do you think he uses so little black? If seen some “in progress” pics, and it seems he uses quite a lot of it. Considering the contrast in his pieces, I’d say he does use a lot of it, just no as obvious..

How ever, I am skeptical to how they look over time! I know he posted a picture on instagram a while ago, of a tattoo that was like 5-6 years old, and it did still look good.
    Can’t remember quite what it was, though.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Nikko uses a lot of black. I have a bunch of friends who have work by him and his stuff holds up a lot better than most color realism artists out there. He is definitely on my list.

Gnarlymilk
    Participant
    @gnarlymilk

Well I am talking about line work. He uses shades of lots of colors. Iono maybe I am just over thinking it. Color looks super sick right after its done but all color fades. When you use so many shades of color in “color realism” style tattoos. Some of the color shading is so light to achieve the look he is going for. See the example below. Its SICK SICK artwork and a awesome tat, a tat I would love to have. But notice how there is very little line work, you can see the dark black shadow that defines the cheek but uptowards the top where the orangish hair is. The right side looks like it will hold up better over time than the left. Again, I still think its top notch work. We just contemplating my next “Style” xD

aM6CIPo.jpg

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I think there is a lot of “old” thinking going on her. Yes, previously you could consider black lines etc to be fundamental for a tattoo to keep looking fresh.
    Well, sorry to break it to you; The times are changing!
    New techniques, machines, types of needles, types of ink, better anatomy knowledge and knowledge about skin works and how it changes, and on different types of skin, and fine arts artists becoming tattoo artists. There is a reason all seminars etc hosted by these artists fill up so quickly; They have some tricks! ๐Ÿ™‚
    What was true a few years ago, just isn’t anymore.
    Just like “all white ink looks like shit in no time”. It’s old facts that a lot of artists and collectors are proving wrong.
    I’ve seen color realism tattoos that are 4-5 years old and still hold up fine! And then I’ve seen work the same artist did two years prior look like after a while, because the artists learnt how to make it stick! Electric Linda is a good example. She’s pretty much in Nikkos league, and her work holds up beautifully. Sure, it’s not gonna look like fresh, but it still may look great.

Gnarlymilk
    Participant
    @gnarlymilk

Thanks for the reply! Trust me I was hoping tattoos like this hold up, and I know advances in materials proly play a big part in that. Just wanted to kinda get a feel from other “People” and not the artist ya know. Old skool artist are always poo pooing the new school styles and the New style artist are always just saying “that’s the old skool way/style ” There are a few artist I have in mind, Nikko being one of them, Roman Abrego. Correct me if I am wrong but there considered “Celebrity” artists, yea? Year long waiting list and rather expensive. Don’t get me wrong I know the old saying you get what you pay for, but I know there has to be really good artist out there trying to get there art work seen that don’t have the year long waiting list and 500$ min deposits ๐Ÿ™‚ Any suggestions for color realism artist in Orange county?

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Sorry, I don’t pay much attention to “celebrity” artists really… I know a ton of amazing realism artists in Scandinavia with decent waiting lists :p
    But there are some. Just do your research ๐Ÿ™‚
    And well; A lot of artists can pull of realism tattoos, but not everyone knows how to make them stick.
    But you probably won’t find the next Nikko doing equally great work for cheap and in two weeks.

Gnarlymilk
    Participant
    @gnarlymilk

Yea not looking for “Cheep” work I want a good tat and I am prepared to pay for it. Ill look around. I know there is more than 1 Nikko in this world ๐Ÿ˜› – Thanks for the replys!

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@Gnarlymilk 135931 wrote:

Yea not looking for “Cheep” work I want a good tat and I am prepared to pay for it. Ill look around. I know there is more than 1 Nikko in this world ๐Ÿ˜› – Thanks for the replys!

I have a number of colour realism style tattoos, and even the ones that don’t look like they have much black actually have a lot of black, and also a lot of contrast, so I have every hope that they will stand up.

I just came back from Yucca Valley a few weeks ago. Rich Pineda is BLOWING UP right now. In the spring he was booking out about 10 weeks in advance. I contacted them in May to book and they were booking October. When I was there at the end of October he was booking for next July. Deposit was reasonable. His price is rising right now, but he told me that he actually keeps it a bit lower out of respect for the fact that his clients are spending money to travel to where he is. Super nice guy, too.

He also works out of Vatican sometimes, in Lake Forest, if that would be a little less travel for you.

You might also want to check out Jamie Lee Parker at MD Tattoo studio in Northridge. He learned under and works with one of the world’s best. It’s not exactly Orange County, but it’s close enough to drive there and back.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

take a look at my signature link below ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.