Chrisrozinek
    Participant
    @chrisrozinek

Hello. I am a big Lord Of The Rings fan and the last couple of years i have wanted a LOTR tattoo. I want the second part of the Riddle Of Strider. Its about five sentences.

And i was wondering if the calf is a good place for text? Im also going to have some LOTR things around it.

Ive also heard that the calf is a bitch to get tatoo’d

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

To me, personally, the calf was a very pleasant place to get tattooed. One of the least painful places I’ve had. You get pretty swollen and walk funny for a few days though. But unless you reach the back of your knee, you should be fine.

Chrisrozinek
    Participant
    @chrisrozinek

Ok thanks 🙂

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I’ve had my whole lower leg done and the calf was not a problem at all.

Three good rules for a good tattoo:
    1) No Tribal
    2) No text
    3) It’s your body. Do what you want.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

My calf was pretty painless also.

I normally think of text tattoos as boring and unimaginative but I am not sure how you would turn it into some art. If you can think of a way for art instead of cheesy text, I would say do that.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

No !

ezrider
    Participant
    @ezrider

@poxphobia 131564 wrote:

But unless you reach the back of your knee, you should be fine.

You got that right. 🙂

Instead of text why not work with your artist to come up with a good design inspired by the text? But like sam said….
    @Sam-I-Am 131566 wrote:

3) It’s your body. Do what you want.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I have a Tengwar tattoo, so this is very exciting to me. 😉

If I did my Tengwar tattoo over, I’d probably encourage the artist to do something more imaginative. You can get a pretty cool tattoo with the Elvish or Dwarvish texts, but not simply as text – A page in a book, a scroll, etc. (Ask someone with artistic talent for a better idea than what I threw out.) I also don’t think you could do that particular text in an interesting way without having a bigger canvas, unless you’re 9′ tall.

I’m in the minority, but I think some text has potential to be an interesting part of a mosaic. My other concern about it being a calf is that things that low on the body tend to heal a lot slower than your face or your chest. If you’re dead-set on the calf, healthy, and a non-diabetic, knock yourself out.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

To further extrapolate upon my answer, as someone with a single lonely tattoo on their calf, I don’t think a few boring lines of text are going to be anything but uninteresting and more crucially a waste of a rather decently large flat-ish canvas.

There ARE places for text, I agree wholeheartedly with Gray there. Hell, my Tengwar will probably be just as “uninteresting” as hers is. It’s the meaning that YOU put on YOUR tattoo that makes all the difference.

Generally speaking we all here prefer imagery over simple words, and we would definitely much prefer it if you got yourself a killer art piece than some lines of text that WILL fade/bleed/blur into a smudge. But if that is still what you want, go for Sam’s door number 3:

Do whatever the hell you want. Fuck everybody that disagrees with you. Just, for the love of all that is beautiful in this world, please at least get it done WELL.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

It is to much to place on your calf

6904365824_89c8a2df0d_z.jpg

Pick a line or two and go with that or better yet skip the text and get a good tattoo

lord-of-the-rings-tattoo-gollum-photo-realism-portrait-character-skin-ink-body-art.jpg

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Arni…only one on your calf or only one on your skin?

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@jerryatrophy 131676 wrote:

Arni…only one on your calf or only one on your skin?

Both 🙂

Chrisrozinek
    Participant
    @chrisrozinek

Thanks for so many replies. The plan is to get it like a book or a scroll with some lotr art around. I dont want a simple cheesy text on my calf, but a nice lotr art thing. Its hard to explain when you suck at english. :p

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@Chrisrozinek 131695 wrote:

Thanks for so many replies. The plan is to get it like a book or a scroll with some lotr art around. I dont want a simple cheesy text on my calf, but a nice lotr art thing. Its hard to explain when you suck at english. :p

I think that your idea sounds good, if you are going to get text then that is definitely the way to turn it into a better and more interesting piece. Good luck, and the price for all this advice is that you have to post some pictures once it is done.

I have to say that your English is excellent. Better than a lot of Americans (and even a few Canadians ;)).

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@Call_me_Lola 131700 wrote:

I think that your idea sounds good, if you are going to get text then that is definitely the way to turn it into a better and more interesting piece. Good luck, and the price for all this advice is that you have to post some pictures once it is done.

I have to say that your English is excellent. Better than a lot of Americans (and even a few Canadians ;)).

What she said^^^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.