poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I agree with Tecratt. If it becomes a real problem, a talk might help.

And it’s your body, you’re a grown woman and it’s your right to do as you wish. My mom still complains about me building up a second sleeve, but as I said; I already have ONE. How people view me, is not gonna be changed by me having another 😛

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Thankfully, I have a father with whom we respectfully disagree. (He’s intelligent enough to know based on the one on the abdomen, there must be more.)

Mom and I need a conversation soon about a few things going on, and not just tattoos. Criticism about my personal appearance has been overridden by being a goddamned liar.

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

Alright finally my turn to actually reply to some extent since I had no time this morning.

Now as for me, I was raised basically as an only child so to speak, at least the only child in the house. I have one sister who is actually 16 years older than myself. I know my parents had trouble with her while she was growing up as she was a wild child so a lot of things were expected of me as I got older that my sister never did (of course I think these things made me a better person in the long run anyway). Now in terms of my tattoos I never talked to my parents about it. My mom is the one that cares the most, my dad honestly doesn’t really care what I do or have done.

When I had the opportunity to get my first tattoo I’ll admit I was super nervous, trying to figure out how I would hide it from my parents and everything. That evening after it was done neither of my parents actually saw it. Of course the next day was a hassle considering my mom was home from work when I woke up and everything and with it being on my right calf, I was walking a tad funny with my leg quite stiff. I couldn’t handle it anymore and eventually showed my mom. She wasn’t thrilled what so ever and just kind of looked at me. I remember her asking me “Well what happens if you go to a party where you’ll have to wear a nice dress or something?” I laughed, I don’t wear dresses at all and never really have besides when I was little. I told her I will probably never have to do that and I wasn’t worried about it and that was that. Of course my sister had to laugh because I tried to hide it from mom even though she has a few tattoos herself.

Fast forward a year or so later and I get the first piece that would start my left half sleeve. I came home that night, not planning to hide it from her really since she is usually so judgemental but I did anyway. She did see it after it was cleaned up and honestly really liked that piece. Ever since then she’s liked my tattoos up until my skull I just started on my right arm. She’s glad there is color being added to that sleeve!

Now as far as my job goes I am thankful we can show off our ink to an extent. During the summer the store I work at is so hot that I wear capris every day in which both of my tattooed calves are visible. I work face to face with the public as I am a cashier at a grocery store pretty much (Walmart to be exact). I get a lot of compliments on my ink and a lot of people who ask where I go to get it done. Of course I get those people that ask if they hurt, the other day I had someone ask me how much they cost. I always enjoy explaining my experiences being beneath the needle and ink. I also had a customer the other day asking me what will happen to them when I’m 95. I had to laugh and told her I probably wouldn’t care and she just looked at me and said that yea I probably would and my reply was that I’m glad I can enjoy them now while I’m young. I’m just starting my collection of art, I’ve got plenty more room. Now unfortunately I’m not exactly in the best of shape even though I do my best with dieting right and everything like that so I probably will never get a tattoo on my side or thighs or anything like that unfortunately unless by some miracle I loose those problem areas. I know I get stared at while I’m shopping or I’m out with my mom. At first the stares bothered me but now I just laugh. I have a friend who is into tattoos just as much as I am so we like to show off whenever we can, even days we head to the gym. Honestly my tattoos have made me more confident in myself even though my body isn’t exactly the greatest but we all have our flaws. My mom at one point did ask me if I was done and all I could say was yea, at least for now but then come a few months later and I was getting something new. I just turned 23, I’ve got plenty more time to add to my arms, I eventually want something on my back, maybe my chest, etc.

I’ll also add that I would rather spend my money on tattoos than drugs or alcohol. Sure I drink occasionally but I’m not a constant drinker like some people out there. I have had plenty of family members who have become alcoholics, one of my grandfathers actually shot himself because he was so lost in the effects of the alcohol he consumed every day. I would much rather spend my money on something I can enjoy for a lifetime and as someone else here said, we can’t take our money with us when we die, why not spend it, do what we want with it while we are alive. I always say that is what money was made for, to be spent in whatever ways we need it to be spent. I definitely say have a chat with your mom, show her that your tattoos are for you, you are the same person regardless just with a little art thrown in. My mom doesn’t seem to care anymore. Hell she used to care if I got my hair cut or something like that. I had to ask to get my hair layered when I was in High School so I understand your problems.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Miss, that’s a touching story.

I’ve noticed a lot of Wal-Mart employees have tattoos now; there’s a manager I refer to as “Batman” because all of his tattoos are Batman-based. Lovely young man.

It’s nice to see the image of retail not being so conservative. Gives me hope for the future.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

If you’re an adult, then stop worrying about what everyone else thinks. /end thread

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

@GrayCatLove 131223 wrote:

Miss, that’s a touching story.

I’ve noticed a lot of Wal-Mart employees have tattoos now; there’s a manager I refer to as “Batman” because all of his tattoos are Batman-based. Lovely young man.

It’s nice to see the image of retail not being so conservative. Gives me hope for the future.

Yea like I said, a lot of my coworkers have tattoos. At another Walmart I frequent there is a girl there with tattoos on her face. Now I’m not a fan of that but at least they’ve allowed her to work there even with the obvious visible tattoos. I know a few of my managers also have tattoos but don’t show them since they are usually in nicer, more professional clothing.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.