Cledus985
    Participant
    @cledus985

Ok, so I was cruising the instagram and came across a post from one of the artists in the shop I go to. Not the one doing my tattoo. He posted something that looks very similar to my sleeve. It does have its differences but to me it seems that it is a fairly good copy of the same “feel” I was going for. As far as I am concerned i walked in to the shop and asked for my sleeve off of my own ideas, and thought it was fairly original. Should I feel anger towards this work? Obviously I dont know the back story to the tattoo. I also dont want this to be a who did it better comparison. I am in no way trying to bash the other artist, Im really just wondering what would you do if a “copy” of your tattoo came out of the same shop? – Pics for referenece – Mine first, then the other guys.

photo2-2.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

1c12ba1f-9b2a-4fbd-8c45-8b124da7c2d9_zpsd96f9c9c.jpg

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

The pictures at the bottom look very nice and very well done.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@Cledus985 127600 wrote:

Ok, It does have its differences but to me it seems that it is a fairly good copy of the same “feel” I was going for. As far as I am concerned i walked in to the shop and asked for my sleeve off of my own ideas, and thought it was fairly original.

When it comes to tattoos it is pretty hard to come up with an “original” idea. It has all been done before and will be done again. Artists get presented with the same “original” ideas all the time. Their challenge is to keep coming up with ways to do it in new and fresh ways. What is important is that you are happy with YOUR tattoo. That it has the concept and feel that you want.

An exact copy would definitely piss me off, that is so so so wrong to do. For instance there is a really bad copy of an entire Andy Engel backpiece out there somewhere. So badly done that it isn’t even centered on the back. And it is clear that whoever did it just printed out a picture of the amazing original and used it to make a stencil. Such a dick move!!

As long as the artist draws up his/her own interpretation of the concept, a tattoo inspired by another tattoo is o.k. But to duplicate it isn’t.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Looks good but who the fuck did the line work Michael J Fox?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Looks good!
    Lines may be a little wonky, but I like the colors!

My tattoos are a compilation of my ideas and the artist’s creativity. I would be both honored and pissed at the same time.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

I guess it also has to do with the general theme and your theme is quite common ๐Ÿ™‚

Cledus985
    Participant
    @cledus985

I know an underwater scene is quite common, I think I’m just looking at the more subtle things like the color, having two different blues in the same swooping action. The bubbles, the sea horse, and the red fish. I mean there are a lot more fish in the sea, sorry that just came out like that, that could have been used. Oh well I will just take it as a compliment even if they had no idea about mine. ๐Ÿ™‚

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Oh crap I just actually read what you wrote instead of just looking at the pretty pictures.
    yes an underwater theme is pretty common so I wouldn’t be pissed about that I would be pissed that it you pick the wrong tattooist at that shop.

Cledus985
    Participant
    @cledus985

@buttwheat 127643 wrote:

Oh crap I just actually read what you wrote instead of just looking at the pretty pictures.
    yes an underwater theme is pretty common so I wouldn’t be pissed about that I would be pissed that it you pick the wrong tattooist at that shop.

Yeah im upset about that, but his portfolio and the work he usually does is mainly American traditional, nothing of his previous work showed that he would turn something out like what he has here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.