J_T_82
    Participant
    @j_t_82

Hi guys, relatively new here and I’ve got tattoo planned for next month. I’m travelling a fair few miles to get there and I would like to maybe take a video of the actual tattooing. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and could maybe point me in the direction of a good camcorder at a fairly low price point. I’ve got two 8hr sessions booked so would have to include that as well as a few additional but shot clips. Thanks in advance.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Novel idea. I would be selective in filming, or at least plan on some heavy editing. For me personally watching 16 hours would be as painful as getting the tattoo.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Maybe join a camcorder forum for that answer.

J_T_82
    Participant
    @j_t_82

@Sam-I-Am 125612 wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Novel idea. I would be selective in filming, or at least plan on some heavy editing. For me personally watching 16 hours would be as painful as getting the tattoo.

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah it would be heavily edited, I doubt I would even want to watch the whole thing in realtime myself. It would probably be a short clip in a time lapse feel. Probably a total of 2-3 mins.

J_T_82
    Participant
    @j_t_82

@buttwheat 125615 wrote:

Maybe join a camcorder forum for that answer.

I have searched a few camcorder forums, thanks. I thought there may be a few on here that have captured footage of long sessions. With maybe some pointers for things to look for that are related to capturing tattooing for that length of time.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Do you have plans on someone filming it or are you throwing it on a tripod? have you every had a tattoo before or sat for a long session?

J_T_82
    Participant
    @j_t_82

@buttwheat 125623 wrote:

Do you have plans on someone filming it or are you throwing it on a tripod? have you every had a tattoo before or sat for a long session?

I’m going on my own, so to have someone film it is out of the question. I’m in the process of looking at a few tripods, possibly a kind of clamp one if that makes sense. But I reckon a traditional one maybe better as I have no idea what the artist station will be like.

I have had a few long-ish sitting about 7 hrs max, but I have never had back to back sessions any pointers on that would be good too.

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Have you already asked the artist about filming the sessions?

They may be OK with a few minutes on film, but who wants to be filmed at their job for two days? That is a long time to watch your Ps and Qs – or have anything thoughtlessly said or done preserved forever, and in someone else’s hands.

Also some people are not comfortable at all in front of a camera. I always want anyone tatting me to be as comfortable as possible, so that they can concentrate and do the best job possible.

Just my thoughts on it.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

My hand piece got recorded by a guy on he’s uni project. Shame he picked a shite song.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@Wardy 125636 wrote:

My hand piece got recorded by a guy on he’s uni project. Shame he picked a shite song.

Nice piece, agree with the song.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

I travel loads for my work, just recently did an 8000 mile trip for work. I did think about filming it but then I thought no because it would really be pretty boring for others to watch my holiday lol

If your a good editor and always talk while your filming otherwise it will be super boring. Edit it to quite short with highlights and maybe you have something some might want to watch ๐Ÿ™‚

J_T_82
    Participant
    @j_t_82

@Call_me_Lola 125630 wrote:

Have you already asked the artist about filming the sessions?

They may be OK with a few minutes on film, but who wants to be filmed at their job for two days? That is a long time to watch your Ps and Qs – or have anything thoughtlessly said or done preserved forever, and in someone else’s hands.

Also some people are not comfortable at all in front of a camera. I always want anyone tatting me to be as comfortable as possible, so that they can concentrate and do the best job possible.

Just my thoughts on it.

I have yes, that was my first concern. I don’t think turning up on anyones doorstep with video equipment expecting a two day shoot would be a good idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

J_T_82
    Participant
    @j_t_82

@Wardy 125636 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gubs5SAs7I

Yeah this is the kind of thing I was looking for, although I would maybe have a few shots of the studio and maybe a small amount of travelling clips. With a total time of about 2.30 to 3 mins, maybe a minute for each days shooting. In terms of quality have you seen a better copy of this video? as it looks alittle low quality. I don’t mean to be rude or anything as sometimes these videos are uploaded at a lower more favourable rate.

J_T_82
    Participant
    @j_t_82

@peterpoose 125644 wrote:

I travel loads for my work, just recently did an 8000 mile trip for work. I did think about filming it but then I thought no because it would really be pretty boring for others to watch my holiday lol

If your a good editor and always talk while your filming otherwise it will be super boring. Edit it to quite short with highlights and maybe you have something some might want to watch ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah I wouldn’t make people endure my travelling time as I think the round trip will be well above the 10,000 mile mark. I only really wanted the video just to have as a memory of the trip and for friends and family, I don’t think or am aiming to be a youtube star. Although the extra money would than probably find its way back into the artist hand. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

How are things working out?
    You have a nice collection of tattoos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.