buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I think price per hour is totally irreverent each artist works at different paces.
My Phantom piece done by fat was done in about 2 1/2 hours and he charged me $800.00 that’s pretty steep if your going by the hour. But I’m way happy with it and it won tattoo of the day.

My Yukon Cornelius tattoo don by Cory Norris also cost me $800 and took a little over 7 hours a bargain at an hourly rate and this is my favorite piece.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
buttwheat;100834 wrote:
I think price per hour is totally irreverent each artist works at different paces.

That is only true when artists charge per piece and not per hour. But if artists charge steeply per hour AND take a long time to do it, you’re paying a LOT more.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

no doubt, I try and research how fast an artist is, I dont really care if he is fast or slow, I will sit, but it does effect the cost, Dave Tedder is a favorite of mine but he is not fast and spends more time with the machine not in my skin, other guys like Sean Herman, Russ Abbott and Josh Woods for example are lightning fast, that means even at a higher rate they can get a huge amount of work done

I think it is definately worth waiting and saving if I have to ………I want good stuff, I want what I want, I will wait and save if I have to

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx
buttwheat;100834 wrote:

That’s why I asked for an approximate time and price. If it’s an hourly rate, they can certainly tell someone approximately how long they think it’s going to take.

It didn’t matter in the end, I booked multiple sessions, was offered a session rate after the first one, and if we’re not at a stopping point at that time, so be it. He works until he’s ready to be done for the session. Could be 2 hours, could be 4. I probably could have booked a day, but with the way I swell… I don’t know if my skin would take it. LOL

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

Price is only important if the artist is charging more than you think is reasonable for work done by other artists of similar talent. I was looking at one artist who charged $300 for the first hr then $200 thereafter. I didn’t think this rate was reasonable. While her work was nice, I would have had to travel too and it was have been a fortune to get what I wanted and I ended up finding another artist in my area that does similar style work for $125/hr. Everyone has different budgets but I think it’s better to get a smaller tattoo by a great artist than a larger tattoo by a lame artist given the price is the same.
i think if you can’t afford to get a great tattoo don’t get one at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.