Wrighty
Participant
@wrighty

Hi everyone,

I have four Japenese/Chinese (its one of them!) symbols on my arm. I know what they mean, well I think I do!

I was just wondering if there is any sites out there where you can type in a word, a name for example, and that word will be translated for you.

Maybe something Hebrew or Asian.

Not sure but something exotic would be nice.

Many thanks in advance!

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

i dont think you could fully trust any sites in which you dont have to pay for translation, but i would say the ones where you do have to pay are probably all up to scratch, ive looked for symbols in the past when thinking about getting them done and had several different meanings to the symbols 😛 in asian languages, letters and symbols dont just mean letters..words, they can have dual meanings, FOR INSTANCE – i looked up ‘ben’ and it gave a symbol that meant ben… but it also meant samurai baby – 😛

iceman55
Participant
@iceman55

For chinese symbols I use this site: http://chinese-symbols.com/
Then I verify the meaning with some chinese girls I know…so far,the site has been correct…

as far as words…have you tried babelfish.com ?? pretty decent….

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Many of the sites that offer a translation for free are not always the right/best translation. Very frequently words are not exactly interchangeable between languages, rather it’s the concept that gets conveyed.

I think it would best if you could explain exactly what you would want to convey, and find someone who is fluent in the language to assist you, especially if you intend on using a phrase or sentence.

But, I’m just curious (and I mean no disrespect) what is with the interest of tattoos written in a language you don’t really understand?

Wrighty
Participant
@wrighty

Thanks for all your replies!

I’m honestly thinking of going to my local Indian/Chinese restaurants (not taking the mick here!) to see what types of symbols their language have. I’m quite friendly with them so hopefully they won’t stitch me up!

I’ll also look at that Babelfish site, cheers Iceman.

To answer your question Gnarly I like the look of tattoos written in other languages. I think they look different and kinda exotic. Also if I had the missus’s name in Hebrew and then spilt up I could say it meant something else! Ha ha

The Japenese symbols on my arm always get attention. People are forever asking what they mean so its nice to tell them. I usually say BBQ Ribs, Special Fried Rice, Prawn Crackers and Chicken Chinses Style though! 😉

turbosatan
Keymaster
@turbosatan

Not many people realise this but your on a translation site now.

type whatever you want into a post and then go to the bottom of the page and click the flag of whatever language you want to view it in.

for instance if you go to the bottom and click the japan flag you get redirected to the following page http://www.thetattooforum.com/translation-sites-t14964.html?p=63131&language=ja

DMoney
Participant
@dmoney

As much as the Internet is great for many things – I think getting a live human to check over what a website tells you would be a very good idea.

Have you thought of doing something in Arabic script – much like how Chinese/Japanese used their language as an art form, Arabic is highly artistic. In the Middle East Calligraphy is considered a very esteemed form of art.

Just a suggestion =)

Crypto
Participant
@crypto

i wrote a mail to a professor of a university in the netherlands who teaches Japanese and he helped me with it.
After that i got it checked by a friend who’s got connections in Japan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.