PUNISSHER
Participant
@punissher

What’s the word on this stuff? I’ve heard a few people talk about it and after googling it, I see the same quotes site after site. Is it legit or just a scam? $50 for one tube is kinda crazy, no?
Emla cream seems to be legit, but some are claiming Dr.Numb to be better.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

never used it before but i heard numbing creams do work but can effect your tattoo quality :rolleyes:
most people just grin and bare it when getting their tattoo done

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Dr. Numb is just a generic topical anesthetic cream. It is neither the best nor the worst stuff out there but having had topical anesthetics used in operations I would say that it is only effective for around 40 mins max anyhow and can take a couple of hours to take effect.

Also the pain kicks in as soon as it wears off anyhow as you have no endorphin build up.

It is really something you would have to test for yourself as to how effective it is.

Tattoo pain is bearable and nobody will laugh if you do grit your teeth, swear, cry or pass out as long as you sit still!

Tattoos hurt and I am currently cursing my way through the after effects of my fourth sitting on my back we did 3 hours with no break and by that time I was ready to start really cursing.

Take Care
Matthew

turbosatan
Keymaster
@turbosatan

anesthetic is for wimps

:p

Izarrasink
Participant
@izarrasink

Part of the tattoo is all about the pain i wreckon, even though i hate the pain!

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

i stock emla and ametop, they are both a topical anesthetic, it takes a while for the area to numb, but it wears off after about 3/4 of an hour or just after…..

dont waste your money, just go for the no pain no gain option 😀

PUNISSHER
Participant
@punissher

Trust me, i totally agree with all of you. If you can’t take the pain then maybe you shouldn’t be getting any ink. I asked because a friend of mine that owns a shop has had numerous people ask if he offered numbing cream, which he doesn’t. He’s lost a few walk-in customers and doesn’t wanna really lose business because he doesn’t offer any numbing cream or sprays.

good old neon
Participant
@good-old-neon

Though I (more or less) understand the whole tattoos should be painful code, I find it somewhat silly. Getting tattooed is, in my opinion, not unlike undergoing a cosmetic procedure. Both are typically undertaken to improve one’s appearance (more or less), and I cannot imagine anyone would suggest that a person getting, say, a nose job, should just suck it up and take the pain. With few exceptions, pain sucks, and I see no dishonor in taking steps to minimize its effects. I have one tattoo, and expect to get quite a few more, and though I personally would not seek the services of a topical anesthetic, I see no reason to deprive other individuals of that option. Just as I would tend to shy away from a dentist who feels as though the pain associated with a root canal is a right of passage to be endured.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi Neon

Actually thinking on it if they didn’t hurt we would all be covered :p

The issue is actually two-fold;

The first is that a tattooist is not allowed to practice medicine from their place of work. This means they cannot give, encourage, or condone any controlled substance especially if applied orally, anally, or intravenously.

The majority of painkillers used by surgeons are opiate based or are a synthetic morphine applied to the patient to knock them out.

The injecting of adrenaline is also monitored as it can stop the heart or damage nerves.

This leaves topical anesthetics which the ones that are bought off the net are significantly weaker than those can be used by a hospital.

The second issue is that despite the fact that humans as a rule do not like pain, tattooing is often done for a psychological reason as well as a physical enhancement.

The receptors in the brain of both pain and pleasure are closely related but the after memory is often one of achievement, courage or endurance.

The right of passage in many cultures often relates to the use of tattooing as a physical reminder of the pain and triumphs that adulthood brings.

I think that whilst pain free tattooing would be ideal many people would simply still refuse the option.

People get comestic surgery (as opposed to medically required plastic surgery) because ‘society’ ie fashion magazines or cruel bastards on the street make them feel ugly.

We get tattooed for rememberance, celebration, politics, identity, art or to put the fear of g-d into people as a few examples.

Tattooing to improve our physical appearance is usually quite far down the list or is a secondary issue.

Also lets face it – outside of the community of enthusiasts many people find ink ugly or taboo. The simple fact is we don’t give a shit.

I remember a conversation a friend of mine had with a very wealthy man.

The man was loaded with cash and said to my friend ‘I have the money to buy whatever I want women, cars, big house etc’. ‘You have no where near my money and with them tattoos I bet not a decent job’.

My mate said ‘You know that is true but it would be wasted on you as you cannot buy balls.’

The guy was like ‘Eh?’

My mate said ‘Only a pussy is scared of a few needles.’

😀

Take Care
Matthew

good old neon
Participant
@good-old-neon
Sherav;51103 wrote:
Hi Neon

Actually thinking on it if they didn’t hurt we would all be covered :p

The issue is actually two-fold;

The first is that a tattooist is not allowed to practice medicine from their place of work. This means they cannot give, encourage, or condone any controlled substance especially if applied orally, anally, or intravenously.

The majority of painkillers used by surgeons are opiate based or are a synthetic morphine applied to the patient to knock them out.

The injecting of adrenaline is also monitored as it can stop the heart or damage nerves.

This leaves topical anesthetics which the ones that are bought off the net are significantly weaker than those can be used by a hospital.

The second issue is that despite the fact that humans as a rule do not like pain, tattooing is often done for a psychological reason as well as a physical enhancement.

The receptors in the brain of both pain and pleasure are closely related but the after memory is often one of achievement, courage or endurance.

The right of passage in many cultures often relates to the use of tattooing as a physical reminder of the pain and triumphs that adulthood brings.

I think that whilst pain free tattooing would be ideal many people would simply still refuse the option.

People get comestic surgery (as opposed to medically required plastic surgery) because ‘society’ ie fashion magazines or cruel bastards on the street make them feel ugly.

We get tattooed for rememberance, celebration, politics, identity, art or to put the fear of g-d into people as a few examples.

Tattooing to improve our physical appearance is usually quite far down the list or is a secondary issue.

Also lets face it – outside of the community of enthusiasts many people find ink ugly or taboo. The simple fact is we don’t give a shit.

I remember a conversation a friend of mine had with a very wealthy man.

The man was loaded with cash and said to my friend ‘I have the money to buy whatever I want women, cars, big house etc’. ‘You have no where near my money and with them tattoos I bet not a decent job’.

My mate said ‘You know that is true but it would be wasted on you as you cannot buy balls.’

The guy was like ‘Eh?’

My mate said ‘Only a pussy is scared of a few needles.’

😀

Take Care
Matthew

I understand that tattoo artists are not licensed and/or trained to administer pain medication, and they probably shouldn’t be – as no one needs that degree of added liability. However, assuming topical anesthetics do not interfere with and/or detract from the artist’s ability to work, I see no harm in recommending their use – assuming that they actually perform as promised, of course.

As for why people get tattooed, I agree that many folks do view it as a right of passage, something to be endured and cherished – and that many folks are heavily into the traditional aspects of tattooing, and that is entirely valid, and I respect that, however, I wouldn’t undersell the fact that for many folks, a tattoo is little more than a “cool” fashion accessory. Which, is evidenced by the fact that lots of folks simply walk into a studio and choose a picture off the wall, one without any personal significance whatsoever. I would like to think those folks are in the minority, but I fear they are not. Tattooing is entirely in the mainstream nowadays, and as a result, it has lost much of its edge – whether that is a good or bad thing, I’m not at liberty to say.

“My mate said ‘You know that is true but it would be wasted on you as you cannot buy balls.”

This is all well and good, but it strikes me as little more than bullshit macho male posturing – by both parties, your friend and the wealthy fella. I’m not impressed by ones ability to endure a needle, you want an endurance challenge, try childbirth. On a pain endurance scale, I’d rank the way in which my wife handled childbirth, naturally, much higher than some dude’s ability to withstand a tattoo.

CruisingComet
Participant
@cruisingcomet

I know in my area some of the studios offer numbing gel as an extra.

Both emla cream and ametop gel are non prescription and available over the counter at Boots.

My current artist says a lot of his lady customers use it and swear by it, personally I think there is a lot of ignorance regarding these gels and creams, people frequently say they don’t work and make the skin difficult to tattoo. After talking to mates who admit to having used ametop for example, they say you need to leave it on for at least 2hrs and wrap it tightly in cling film, for it to be effective. Also it must not be rubbed into the skin, just applied to it, they also say you need 4-5 tubes for a largish tattoo, and if it’s applied correctly it should last 2-3 hrs (not 30-40 mins as I keep hearing people saying) :rolleyes:

Anyway I don’t see a problem if people want to use it, my artist said he would sooner people put it on than move around and yell, it makes his job easier!

Sorry but I don’t go with the “pain is part of it” and the suggestion that bearing the pain makes you more of a man “bullshit”, it’s all about getting inked not about how tough we are as individuals.

While you may handle the pain, others may have a lower pain theshold, we don’t say to the dentist yeah you can pull my tooth but don’t bother numbing me first, so I cant understand why this mentality exists with tattooing? If people wanna use it, it’s their choice right 😎

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw
CruisingComet;51131 wrote:
you need to leave it on for at least 2hrs and wrap it tightly in cling film, for it to be effective. Also it must not be rubbed into the skin, just applied to it, they also say you need 4-5 tubes for a largish tattoo, and if it’s applied correctly it should last 2-3 hrs (not 30-40 mins as I keep hearing people saying)

the manufacturers QUOTE…

AMETOP Gel should should not be left on for more than 1 hour

i would advise that before giving wrongfull information you check the facts before posting in the future

TOPIC NOW CLOSED

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Dr.Numb Numbing Cream???’ is closed to new replies.