Rushmore
Participant
@rushmore

There is a Tattoo shop as they like to call themselves that are in my home town..

Nearly every peice of work I have seen by them is absoluty terrible..

The reason I bring it up now is because someone I know got the start of a sleeve done there ( just the lines ) and tbh, it looks awfull.. shakes everywhere, lines not connecting and much more..

I really kinda wanna post a pic of this so called tatoo up on here, but I havn’t really got his permission to do so so I wont..

But tbh, he won’t listen, he says he;s going back there… It’s such a shame because his arm is going to get ruined, which I know is up to him… but it does look REALLY bad.

What can I / shall I do??

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

to name and shame is not really professional if you are an artist, although if you are only a collector then it is just being helpful to others and in a way of preventing a bad tattoo being recieved.
But to place shaming information without evidence is posibly a law suit provocation… 😉

its a shame you dont have the permission to post up the image.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i say name and shame 😀 someone might get lucky and read it before they get a tattoo done there

Izarrasink
Participant
@izarrasink

i would say their work will speak for itself sooner or later….and then there wont be any customers, i agree with outlaw, you could possibly be sued for slander if they want to go that far.

flying eyeball tattoo
Participant
@flying-eyeball-tattoo

I’ve seen alot of that type of work unfortunately. These “wanna-bees” who are artisticly illiterate set up shop and until they’re run out of business by their own doing they do alot of damage to clients and the business overall. The worst part is there is little that can be done to stop them legally and alot to protect them. They’re protected by “freedom of expression” at it’s lowest excuse. Unless they are violating health codes or causing physical harm, infections, or unsafe practices they cannot legally be shut down by critique alone.

For example, If you choose a design to be tattooed, and the end result is horrible in appearance, distorted features, crooked or shaky lines and shotty color, so long as sterile technique is maintained and it heals well the law would say you have no rights for compensation because the tattoo is “The artists representation of the chosen design.” In other words, choosing your artist is much more important than the design alone”

Ask to see a photo portfolio of their personal work. Don’t rely on what you see on the wall. If they don’t have an impressive portfolio of past work to show you it’s not by accident. Study their portfolios carefully, don’t just flip through the pages looking for “Cool designs” Study the lines, look for steady smooth and deliberate ink. Make sure the photos are of healed tattoo work more than fresh ones. Don’t accept any excuses for second rate tattooing, there are no excuses worth the risk. If what you see in the portfolio is acceptable to you then go for it.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

I think you should post pics of the tattoos and name the place. If they are obviously bad we’ll know.

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak

I would show your buddy some pictures of nice tattoos and point out the difference. See if that helps. Is this in a small town? Sadly, the best artists have all the opportunity and end up moving to the city, so neither is there much opportunity for a newbie to learn by apprenticeship, either. Because of that, bad shops thrive in small towns, usually staffed by people who are still learning, on people who are also still learning- All of them doing it the hard way.
As far as the shop goes, well, bad news travels fast. So eventually, once people can tell the difference, people will know for themselves. I’d just wish that bad artist good luck, and try to show your friends the difference. Happy holidays!

hulbulax
@

I accept: These “wanna-bees” who are artisticly illiterate set up shop and until they’re run out of business by their own doing they do alot of damage to clients and the business overall. The worst part is there is little that can be done to stop them legally and alot to protect them.

CruisingComet
Participant
@cruisingcomet

The trouble with these kinda people is they will always get business, even if they are crap! simply because there are always idiots just wanting to get inked, without knowing what they want or even researching if the artist is any good, in the 1st place. with this mentality these people will just continue to wreck peoples bodys!

I too say “Name em & Shame em” 😎

Asenath83
Participant
@asenath83
CruisingComet;51401 wrote:
The trouble with these kinda people is they will always get business, even if they are crap! simply because there are always idiots just wanting to get inked, without knowing what they want or even researching if the artist is any good, in the 1st place. with this mentality these people will just continue to wreck peoples bodys!

Agreed, I don’t think I have seen that many (heavily) tattooed people before moving to Belfast but unfortunately the quality of the tattoos is often very questionable.
There’s a tattoo place just round the corner from where I live, it looks terribly dodgy and the example photos they have pinned to the shop window are mediocre at best… but it seems busy as hell.
I understand that in the current economic situation you may have to cut corners… but when it comes to PERMANENT body art I would think twice about it and save up another month or two.

That said, I fear some people cannot be helped. Yes, you can educate them about quality standards, both from the artistic perspective and as far as potentional health risks are concerned, but the people who come here are often already ahead of those who just walk into the next best tattoo parlor and choose a random design off the wall. Most of them won’t need more than a little hint on what to look for.

I’d say its the mods’ call whether you can name any artists or studios here who you think aren’t quite up to general standards.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw
Asenath83;51468 wrote:
I’d say its the mods’ call whether you can name any artists or studios here who you think aren’t quite up to general standards.

like i said previously….. its fine to name and shame providing you post up the evidence, without the evidense then it just becomes a lwasuit for slander and defclamation of character, and im sure nobody wants that slapping on them 😉

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Frankly, I make it a point to name and shame any studio I know produces crappy artwork, or doesn’t follow health codes, just like I pimp out the shops around here I *KNOW* are damn good at what they do. It’s just what you’re supposed to do–it helps steer people away from scratchers who’ll give’em arm herpes and a bad piece of art, and, let’s face it, bad tattoos make ALL of us with ink look bad, like we’re trash.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.