Juicedup2k9
Participant
@juicedup2k9

I have several tattoos and I want to get both my kids names tattooed in Japanese or Chinese writing, I have searched the net and used the name generators and low and behold no two come out the same. Does anybody know of a reliable site to use to convert their names from english to Japanese or Chinese? Any help would be appreciated, their names are Caleb & Hannah.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

they are some good sites where you can pay to have translations done , i had trouble getting my nana’s name translated in japanese but it sounds and reads a lot better in chinese .

Juicedup2k9
Participant
@juicedup2k9

Yeah I saw some of those sites and it doesnt bother me at all to pay, I just hate to pay for it and get it inked and it be WRONG! LOL and thats my luck

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, I guess the safest way is to find an actual chinese/japanese speaking person to verify. I doubt I’d ever dare to put a foreign language on me unless I was 400% sure of what it means 🙂

tszkm
Participant
@tszkm

I believe these are the correct Chinese characters for the names (based on quick research):

1. Caleb – 嘉樂 (traditional characters) / 嘉乐 (simplified characters)
2. Hannah – 漢納 (traditional) / 汉纳 (simplified)

I might suggest doing a bit more research to at least get another confirmation of the above.

The reason you find different characters for the English names is because these Chinese characters are approximation of the English sounds. Because Chinese has over 60 dialects, and each of them sound quite different from one another, translations vary depending on what the translator’s dialect is. Keep in mind that the Chinese translated versions of English names will continue to evolve depending on the current generation of Chinese translators’ preference.

It’s more likely that you’d get a correct translation / design if you consult a professional translator (or maybe a few non-pro native Chinese speakers). In other words, get multiple input if you don’t want to consult a pro. I suggest avoiding as “auto translation” sites, as the translation might be outdated already.

Janetattoo
@

I agree with ArniVidar,”never put a foreign language on me unless I was 400% sure of what it means”
I’m very happy that I can help you, As I know Chinese very well.I work for getbetterlife,a Chinese tattoo wholesaler.So just tell me your kids’ names,both English and Chinese writings.any questions about Chinese symbol tattoos,ask me.:)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.