jamdemos
    Participant
    @jamdemos

Hello I’m planning on getting another tattoo but I just wanna get an approximation on the cost I know they can vary alot but you guys have more experience than I do so any estimate would be appreciated I’m planning on going in on January and getting it done so I’m just trying to see how skinny my wallet will be afterword’s 😉

Picture attached of the one I like it will look pretty similar to that. But I do want it too be a little bit smaller than that though.

Thanks again,

-James
    basstatt.jpg

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

1st of all what country are you in ? and are you after the tattoo done the same size ?

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

don’t go much smaller, you’ll lose detail, and it won’t look anywhere as good. I’d do it on an hourly, estimating about 10 hours, so you are looking at $1,000.00 American. I might be able to finish it in 2 different 4 hour settings, which means your cost would be $800.00. You would pay $100 deposit to get me to work out the pattern and get it ready, another $300 to start the first sitting which would last 4 hours. After that I’d be able to give you a more accurate estimate. We’d schedule a second sitting in 4-6 weeks which would cost $400.00 more for a 4 hour setting and I would try to finish it then, but it’s possible you would have to come in for a third sitting for 2 hours. $200.00

jamdemos
    Participant
    @jamdemos

Alright thank you very much that was alot more info than I planned on getting, I was thinking right around $1000 so I guess I was pretty close.

Thanks again

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

if your in the states and anywhere near S.Niell then i would recommend having a more serious conversation with him via private message, his 20+yrs experience in the tattoo world and his portfolio speaks volumes 😉

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Thanx Keith, I appreciate it.

jamdemos
    Participant
    @jamdemos

Oh I dont dought that I would go talk to him but I live in Minneapolis Minnesota so that would be kind of hard. I do appreaciate the help in determining the cost though it very nice to receive his expertise without having to go to his shop, I appreciate it alot.

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill
    jamdemos;49160 wrote:
    Oh I dont dought that I would go talk to him but I live in Minneapolis Minnesota so that would be kind of hard. I do appreaciate the help in determining the cost though it very nice to receive his expertise without having to go to his shop, I appreciate it alot.

Keep this in mind, every tattooist is different. Some are faster, some slower, some more expensive, some less so.

You are going for a masterpiece of art, so don’t go to the first shop you find. LOOK AT PORTFOLIOS. You want to find someone who does a LOT of color work, and look for an artist that practices realism. Make sure you’ve got about a hundred pictures of his or her work.

Don’t go small.

Google tattoo studios within 80 miles of your town, spend the time to make a list of all of them. Cross out those that do not have their own websites, put the ones that seem most popular on the top of your list. Look for award winning artists. In other words, get the artist names in your top ten studios and google their names, find out how good they really are.

Why? Because the piece you have chosen is a difficult piece and it can be easily trashed. You may end up paying a little more than I quoted you, but it’ll be worth it. Tip your artist at each sitting, he’ll work harder for you when you come back. And when I say tip, I don’t mean slip him a $5. Give him $40-$60.00 tip per session.

He’s gonna work his tail off and if you’ll tip him, you won’t regret it.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

S Neil is right I had it pegged at $1000 to $1500 but this does not include the drawing time they will spend on it getting it just right.

My tattoo artist is charging me around £2000 ($3300) for a full backpiecebut he did not charge me for the 20 hours drawing time – as he changed it 6 times to get it just right and then made some minor alterations on the day to suit my personal taste.

I figured on giving him a financial tip but instead have ordered him a Japanese handmade mother of pearl eagle and tiger portrait.

My wife was complaining as it cost £200 ($330) but as I said to her when somebody is putting 50 hours work in and charging you for 30 of them it deserves something extra. Also the sheer effort he is putting in is way more than many of the artists I discussed my custom piece with who simply were just going to meld a load of flash together.

I am also arranging a custom machine for him as I suspect that me and him are going to have a very long ink relationship :p

I just haven’t told my wife that I already fancy a chest piece.

Take Care
    Matthew

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Wow Matthew, I wish everyone felt that way about tattooists. We’re lucky to get a $20.00 tip, a custom machine and a beutiful painting? I’m jealous:D.

I came in off vacation and did a large lower back tattoo $300. She tipped me $60. Needless to say she’ll be treated good when she comes back. I cleaned my station and moved straight into a second $400.00 custom back piece (2nd setting $800.00 total) He tipped me $80.00. Leter that night I did a simple cross for $90.00. It was a great day really, and the best tips I’ve gotten in a long time.

Tattooists really don’t get tipped much. I guess people figure the work is expensive, the tattooist doesn’t need more. I guess they don’t understand that the tattooist works on commission. Most get 50%, some less, a rare few more. When you figure it out over a week’s time, the tattooist doean’t take home much more than you, unless he’s working in a high volume shop.

The tip is his life’s-blood. The better the tip, the harder he will work on you. The thing is he works extra hard without even realizing it BECAUSE of the tip.

Phat_Goddess
    Participant
    @phat_goddess
    S.Neill;49217 wrote:
    Wow Matthew, I wish everyone felt that way about tattooists. We’re lucky to get a $20.00 tip, a custom machine and a beutiful painting? I’m jealous:D.

I came in off vacation and did a large lower back tattoo $300. She tipped me $60. Needless to say she’ll be treated good when she comes back. I cleaned my station and moved straight into a second $400.00 custom back piece (2nd setting $800.00 total) He tipped me $80.00. Leter that night I did a simple cross for $90.00. It was a great day really, and the best tips I’ve gotten in a long time.

Tattooists really don’t get tipped much. I guess people figure the work is expensive, the tattooist doesn’t need more. I guess they don’t understand that the tattooist works on commission. Most get 50%, some less, a rare few more. When you figure it out over a week’s time, the tattooist doean’t take home much more than you, unless he’s working in a high volume shop.

The tip is his life’s-blood. The better the tip, the harder he will work on you. The thing is he works extra hard without even realizing it BECAUSE of the tip.

I figured when I got my 1st tattoo done since it was my 1st I’d tip him a decent amount. My tattoo was $350 & I tipped him $65. When I came in for my touch up he was a complete ass about it, did a speedy job, and didn’t really care. I wish he would have been more appreciative since the tattoo only took about 2 hours instead of the estimated 3 1/2:rolleyes:

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Wow, sorry about that Phat Goddess. Most tattooists are not like that. Most treat you good if you treat them good. There is always the exception, and maybe they are becomming more common these days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.