chelly
    Participant
    @chelly

Hey my name is Chelly and I am looking to become a tattoo apprentice… I just need some of my questions answered first…

What is the average cost/time that this can take?
    And what is some advice you could maybe give me about finding a good Tattoo artist…
    What will I need in order to proceed to actual apprenticeship?

Anyway… Any tips/advice are always welcome!

Thanks<3:D

chelly
    Participant
    @chelly

I am thinking about taking college certification programs on Drawing I and II, along with portrait drawing and basic shading etc. Any other ideas on what I should take?

Also going to get certifications from Red Cross on pathogens and human anatomy.

Any other class ideas?
    I want to spend at least a year or so perfecting my art. :]

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Chelly

Well first of all the drawing classes are a good idea – you really need a red hot portfolio of drawings which you can show that you can draw in all genres of art.

A min of at least 25 separate pieces incl colour and black n shade in the following is essential;

Portrait (human)

Animalism ( incl fish – you need some koi in there Portrait, sketch, movement, abstract)

Fantasy – Dragons, Wizards, Warriors, Unicorns etc

Biomech

Tribal and Celtic

Old School – Hearts, swallows, anchors

Reaper – Death, skulls, tombstones

Anime – Cartoon and more serious portraits

Pin-ups 50’s & 60’s style

Nudes – tasteful/fantasy

Script – Styles of writing with scrolls, without scrolls

Religious – Crosses, Crucifixes, Star of Davids, angels, cherubs, praying hands, rosaries.

This will show that you are able to draw in any of the many styles required.

How long it takes is dependent on skill but 5 years of a serious apprenticeship is not uncommon. Most artists I know who have gone down this route did between 4-6 years and they drew every day for at least 2 hours as practice.

Yes that is thousands of roses traced until they could do them in their sleep.

Cost wise well lets say your earnings are on average 10k a year – some work based on initial free labour around the shop then tips then flash work then full freelance work – something that needs to be discussed with an artist.

It is a serious investment of time and money (lost earnings) – which is why many people follow the self taught route.

To become an apprentice you need these main skills;

The ability to draw (essential really)

The ability to learn – this is where many people fall down as they are not willing to really listen to the artist and think this is easy. That is why the ink often falls out and ppl are getting ripped up skin.

Patience – Next to drawing this is the main trait. If you are mastering anything be it music, art or how to kick a ball you need to be patient and practice.

Thick skin – Can you take a person telling you that the drawing you did was shit and x y z needs changing and get back and do it again 3-4 times in a row.

Some artists will drive you that hard as they want you to perfect the skills – remember they are setting up a competitor for the future.

As to what to look for in an artist click on my sig and there is a chapter on how to decide who to get tattooed by. I would add that you need a person who is capable of teaching and is passionate about the subject.

You are trying to get into one of the toughest and most unforgiving styles of work there is – be prepared for a lot of rejection but keep at it if you are serious.

I was offered an apprenticeship but I knew it would be too hard for me to do as I am settled in my day job as I just did not have the drive to do it.

Hope this helps.

Take Care
    Matthew

chelly
    Participant
    @chelly

Thank you so much! This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for!
    I am already planning my classes, drawing one and two, graphic design, human anatomy, etc.

I want to perfect this.
    I will perfect this!

I like to think of myself as strong willed and in an unforgiving industry I have to be.
    I am pretty good at drawing but definently not the best, you are always your worst critic.

Thank you so much!
    Really :3
    Have a magnificant day!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.