PiscesFish
    Participant
    @piscesfish

May I ask..what do people here with tattoos think of tattoos on the hands?

Lets say, the design was perfect..that isn’t the issue..

Really want to know if hand tattoo’s are still considered kind of taboo?

Pics if you have any would be really appreciated.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

i have a hand tattoo, its more than likely in my album if you have a look, personally as a tattooist i generally only tattoo wedding bands, hand tattoos can limit job opportunites, also the ink needs to be retouched regularly i have found, i do mine once a year. I dont recommend getting your hands tattooed at all, its ok for me as thats what i do for a living.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi PisecesFish

In a nutshell hand tattoos are still very much taboo for a lot of cultures and often as Izz has stated they do limit job opportunities as many people do not like them.

There are many reasons for this and most are based upon popular culture conceptions that once in place are very hard to shift.

Many criminal elements would get their hands tattooed.

This could range from the common prison tatts of cobwebs (to show they have done time) or a msg across the knuckles such as ‘Juvy Hall’ or ‘Love/ Hate’

Then there are the more complex organised crime tattoos that would denote their status or crimes they have committed – particulary popular in earlier Russian criminals.

Then there are those who feel that hand tattoos are just ‘common’.
    They take a lot of looking after and need regular updating as well as being job limiting.

Personally I wouldn’t do it – but hey it is just my opinion i’m not arm bending here.

Think it over and if you really want to then do it just think before you ink.

Take Care
    Matthew

PiscesFish
    Participant
    @piscesfish

Thank you both. This was my idea. I’ve always wanted to have hand tattoo’s.

I have found 2 different Galleons I like (on tattoofinder) Jeanie Newby is the artist,
    I also have some swallows on my arm that were designed by her.

I want a Galleon on my left hand, and one on my right hand.

Across my fingers I want “Sail Away” written.

Its like trying to express my suppression and trying to get to freedom. I think it should
    look artistic.

Job-wise. I freelance without any contact. I know this might change though…

May I ask what you think of my idea.

Thank you both for input, it means a-lot, as much as I want to get this done, I am always open for spound advice, especially when this is of importance.

๐Ÿ™‚

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

DivGwva8kp0cf3qlHWyTM6roo1_500.png

Though I *DO* plan to get hand tattoos if that helps you…but only AFTER I get apprenticed at a tattoo shop.

Also, upon further examination, I will never have a job that pays taxes and am the in the 33% that avoids the lameness.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

KH

Do you mind if I use that image it really did make me laugh a lot.

I have to disagree I never find dragons faggy or lame but then I know how you feel about asian art and I feel the same way bout spiders and cobwebs – each to their own.

I think galleons make nice tattoos and if I am being honest it beats the usual DIY shite that many ppl seem obsessed with putting on their hands.

I also took the liberty of checking out the artist and she will do the ink some justice I really like her work.

If you know you are going to be financially stable then follow the dream – if not I would say hold off until you know you will be.

Take Care
    Matthew

PiscesFish
    Participant
    @piscesfish

Hi Matthew, thank you again for advice.

Sorry for the way I worded it..the artist designs are by jeanie newby, My tattooist is
    in the Uk – Like me!

He has done several pieces with me, including, much re-sizing and altering, he is a great
    tattooist. absoluteink.co.uk (if that isn’t allowed to be posted here, please remove :-))

All of my older tattoo’s were done at Mickey Bee’s studio many years ago.. before I started
    to see through what I planned 16 years ago.

The fire still burns before I get a tattoo, I know what I like, and if this changes..well,
    I don’t think it ever will.

Phat_Goddess
    Participant
    @phat_goddess

lol KH for that image

well i guess i’m one of those not getting a job that pays taxes ๐Ÿ˜›

When I went to get my tattoo done, the shop we went too wouldn’t tattoo on the hand/fingers or on the foot by the toes/toes.

I haven’t really seen too many people with hand tattoos.

imakedrawings
    Participant
    @imakedrawings

i know for a fact hand tattoos are looked down upon still.

i’ve been testing the waters, first i get my palm tattooed, then i got the tops tattooed with diamonds in between the thumb and pointing finger on both hands, then said fuck it and got my whole left hand covered with a big gypsys head. I was lucky enough to be employed at a motorsports shop that didnt care, and i did it as a reminder of what i want to do with my life. tattoo. i think unless you want to be a tattooer whole-heartedly, or some other proffesional where it doesnt matter, dont do it. I was recently laid off from my job and havent found work since. im literally looking into dishwashing to pay the bills.

The main reason i got it was to show shops, and other people, that im serious about the art form. Yeah some of my tattoos i got just cause, but im also not gonna regret them in ten years, like all the wanna be kat von d’s and 17 year olds with sleeves will. I love what i do, I love what im gonna do, and i love my tattoos.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Sherav;42800 wrote:
    KH

Do you mind if I use that image it really did make me laugh a lot.

I have to disagree I never find dragons faggy or lame but then I know how you feel about asian art and I feel the same way bout spiders and cobwebs – each to their own.

Take Care
    Matthew

Sadly, I’m not the one who made that image man–my wife did. Frankly, if it had been me, I wouldn’t have used “faggy” as an adjective. Ain’t nothing wrong with being gay, and it’s one of those things that sets me off when people use it as an insult.

Which is why she used it I’m 99% sure.

It *IS* funny as hell though. Go ahead and use it, I’m sure she won’t mind.

As for asian art, it’s less that I hate it and more than I it’s all the same. I can’t remember the last time I saw someone get something new or innovative or even different. Asian inspired tattoos are more of a brand name than real art most of the time.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

X-pressive
    Participant
    @x-pressive

Hiya. I generally wont tattoo hands unless the client is pretty much extensively tattooed already.
    I have some on my hands. I have also seen absolute disasters done on hands. Not the easiest place to tattoo either i might add.

PiscesFish
    Participant
    @piscesfish

I see your point. My Tattooist said to me that as a rule he doesn’t tattoo hands or fingers/knuckles, but as I’m a regular and have tattoos he can do it for me. He also added, like you said, it isn’t the easiest place to tattoo, and that’s why the price I was given was more than usual.

๐Ÿ™‚

imakedrawings
    Participant
    @imakedrawings

the guy who did mine only did it cause i am “heavily tattooed already” haha, he even hooked it up on the price, 125 to cover my whole hand, with color, he even went in between my fingers (ow).

i mean if its what you want its totally worth it, i love mine and ill never regret it. shes my baby haha

PiscesFish
    Participant
    @piscesfish

Well, I have 16 tattoos on my arms alone, so he knows I am a tattoo enthusiast!

I really want this done. This thread has helped.

Do you have a pic of your hand tattoo buddy?

๐Ÿ™‚

imakedrawings
    Participant
    @imakedrawings

the palm since has faded alot..haha but thats just what happens.

and the gygpsy looks a little distorted but its the best picture i got, shes hotter than that hahaha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.