Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

KH is right the pigment they use to make the white ink is not as strong as other pigments because it is not made from a metal extracted salts which is much harder to breakdown than other organic or synthetic pigments.

This means it can go a yellow colour or just fade away at a much faster rate.

I have done a stack of research for my doctorate and one of these sections was on tattoo inks – damn i wish I had studied chemistry harder at school but a simple breakdown is below.

Common ingredients for tattoo pigments can include;

Purely plant/vegetable based extracts.
    Metal salts.
    Mineral extracts.
    Monoarylide and Diarylide (synthetic pigments).

White ink is photo-sensitive because it reacts with the melanin in your skin which produces the darker pigment naturally or tan if you expose yourself to the sun. this is because the skin begins to process the uv and causes the death of thousands of skin cells which are swept away bey the body after the processing is done.

White – This pigment is used as a mixer to lighten other pigments or as a stand-alone colour. One of the main complaints about white tattoo ink is that it often fades rapidly.

There are many ingredients that can be used but the main one to avoid is any made with lead carbonate also known as Mixed white. This is very toxic to the human bloodstream.
    Barium Sulphate also known as Barium white is not known to have any significant hazards to the human body.

Titanium dioxide also known as Titanium white is another ingredient, which does not have any significant hazards to the human body.

The white pigment also has a tendency to discolour with age, often looking a slightly yellow hue. This is much more noticeable where white pigment has been used over a large area.

So in a nutshell it’s good for highlights and lightening other colours but sucks as a standalone colour for tattoos.

Take Care
    Matthew

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar
    KnightHawk;42505 wrote:
    You know, I’ve never thought about wether freckles disappear under white ink or not. That actually threw me for a second. Still, now that I HAVE thought about it, it seems to me that no, they would not. Your tattoo is like a piece of art seen through a tinted window; the lighter the tint and the more powerful the colors of the artwork, the better you can see it. However, white, being so light, will invariably be somewhat changed the tint no matter what.

And, to extend the metaphor, freckles are like spots in the window where the tint is stronger than in others, so in those freckled places, the colors need to be darker to overcome the tint.

Besides, freckles are actually kind of sexy on a chick. On a guy however, they make him look like he’s 12, even when he’s 40.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

ah, KnighHawk, you have met my ginger mate then, you have described him to a ‘t’. Hes has too many freckles to look good in tattoos…..and tattoos don’t look good on 12 year olds.

Purplestar
    and staying out of the sun….it’s a scorcher in London today.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.