tiffanyj
    Participant
    @tiffanyj

Hello, I am new to this forum but I desperately need advice. I have been working on my sleeve for the last 7 months and its going good except for the fact that every time I leave I feel good but a tiny part of me is so upset about something my artist did or did not do. She will draw something on me then if I don’t like something about it she will act totally put out about having to fix it. If I still don’t like it after she redraws it on me. She somehow convinces me that it will be fine and I should go with it the way it is. I honestly think it’s because she doesn’t want to fix it for a second or third time. So I am stuck with whatever she wants on me! I keep going back to her b/c I feel she has done this much so far if I go to someone else it will look different or I might miss out on something that my current artist is actually good at. Does this make sense?? I am freaking out. Should I find a new artist or stick to this one and get used to her attitude?? Please help me.
    TJ

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there, find a new artist dont feel obliged you’re a paying customer. More discussion should be entered into prior to application perhaps do a sketch on paper first its really not that difficult good luck Hoani

Rockysmom
    Participant
    @rockysmom

I would probably go to someone else at this point or don’t have anything new added if you are close to being done.

Lady_Baglady
    Participant
    @lady_baglady

You should let her know how you feel about her attitude. If she doesn’t understand after you speak with her, I suggest finding someone else. I’m sure in a bigger city (if you live in one or don’t mind going to one) that someone could match her style, not EXACTLY, but I’m sure they could do the job AND be nicer about it if you have a problem/want something revised before it’s premaritally etched into your skin. After all, YOU have to live with it forever NOT HER! So, don’t spare her feelings or stick with her just because you feel obligated. Chances are, she treats all her customers this way, and if she’s bothered that you want it to be how YOU want it, then it’s not worth it to stick with her. Some people are in this business for all the wrong reasons, I’m not saying she is, BUT, most artists understand that its a FOREVER piece of art and understand they need to do what the customer asks to the best of their ability. Hope this helped. 😀

artist-originals.com
    @
    hoani;42038 wrote:
    Hey there, find a new artist dont feel obliged you’re a paying customer. More discussion should be entered into prior to application perhaps do a sketch on paper first its really not that difficult good luck Hoani

Yeah I agree, an artist should sketch on paper first before etching it to your skin. If u keep coming back to her, she may think she did nothing wrong.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

Go get a new artist!

You are giving someone the right to work on YOUR skin if they don’t appreciate that then move on

ya know?

tiffanyj
    Participant
    @tiffanyj

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am really close to done with my sleeve. I pretty much have no room left on my arm except for fillers and part of it is just outlined and I don’t know but once the outline is on I don’t think there is much you can do to fix it. I think I might check out another shop close to where I work. I went into Soulpatch in SF and they said my artist did a good job. But maybe they didn’t want to bash on a fellow artist. I don’t know. I think one reason why I go back is it seems everyone really likes her work. Shes the main artist in the shop and always booked out months. Maybe she is just sick of working on me. But thanks again. I will be going somewhere else just to get the feel of someone elses approach.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

Ok cool!

i for one would be interested in hearing how your experiences with a new artist goes 😮

tiffanyj
    Participant
    @tiffanyj

Okay so I just went to a new shop to check out the artists. They were all really cool but said that my girl has been doing a great job on my piece and that I should really have a talk with her about the way I feel. The artists there felt like they didn’t want to step on my current ones toes. But they let me know that the art should have been drawn on paper first then transferred to my body. They said they spend a lot of time making sure that it is EXACTLY how the client wants it before beginning tattooing and they will keep working on it until it is perfect then begin tattooing. UH!!! This is totally what I wanted but since I’m close to done they think I should stick it out with my current artist because they say she is doing a fab job and I am possibly being to picky about certain things. Her attitude not being one of them of course. But do people say it looks good because they don’t want to bash another artist?? Or make you feel bad or is a bad tattoo just a bad tattoo?

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there, your artists colleagues have re-iterated what this forum has been telling you

(1) she should’ve taken the time to ensure that you were completely satisfied.

(2) practice makes perfect (a pencil sketch on paper first )

(3) the mistakes made to date will probably re-occurr its not a third time lucky senario.

(4) you are the decision maker what ever choices you make you accept and move on

good luck Hoani.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

The main thing is that art is subjective so you are the one to judge what you like or dislike, and if you are paying money for a service then you are entitled to a decent service.

If that means you want it drawing on paper and amendments making then so be it.

There is only a couple of artists I would let free hand on me and the one of my wife’s portrait was one of them. I had seen maybe 20-30 of his free hand though and he asked me before hand am I good with it as it was an exact copy of the drawing I had in front of it.

Even if it is outstanding work but you find a minor fault or just not happy then tell them.

They are not g-d and if you don’t tell them bad habits creep in. If they don’t like it take your business elsewhere.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.