turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

doesnt load try putting it in your album on the forum

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

hey there, where did it come ? is from the south pacific,middle east ? polynesia ? cant give an answer until we establish that good luck, Hoani

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

Chris nunez has one on each side of his shoulder

http://www.friendster.com/photos/55794996/1/193905846

i think it is something that became fashionable and doesnt hold much meaning , but im not 100% on that

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

hey there.if the design comes from Aotearoa(New Zealand) it depends on the placement as to its meaning and generally the function of the human anatomy also determines the shape. This particular design can be seen on the face or the buttocks,on the lower and upper cheek of the face (no pun intended) or the buttocks,so in Aotearoa it has a meaning. If its a random selection because it looks good then maybe only Nunez knows. good luck Hoani

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

Looks like a Tribal Spiral to me:

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/spiral-meaning.html

sorrowlovesEmilie
    Participant
    @sorrowlovesemilie

Not 100% on this but I remember reading how in New Zealand and surrounding areas it was usual for all tribe members to have their body parts tattoo’d to signify the tribe they belong to and their status, The article was easy to remember as it contained the image of a large body builder on the beach with a tribal tattoo on his face, unaware that this proclaimed him a princess of a certain tribe.

ACB
    Participant
    @acb

If its what Chris Nunez has (The first link wouldn’t load), its bunga teruong or Borneo rose, it comes from the Iban tribe native to Borneo.

Traditionally they protect the wearer from evil spirits and it is absolutely essential that one should be done in pairs, you should NEVER have just one because it protects either side of the body. They do not necessarily have to be placed on the shoulders but can be on the buttocks, chest, etc.

I remember reading on another site a chap from Borneo who was quickly offended by westerners getting this as a tattoo without appreciating the meaning and symbolism behind it but there is a lot of information which is easily accessible if you google it.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al
    Quote:
    The article was easy to remember as it contained the image of a large body builder on the beach with a tribal tattoo on his face, unaware that this proclaimed him a princess of a certain tribe.

HHAHAHA Awesome!

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there, generally speaking its only those with status, specifically appointed or nominated i.e. (warrior or scholar) that are previliged to wear “Ta Moko”, it is held in high esteem and recognised throughout the tribes. The face that is adorned with “Ta Moko” is literally a book,divided into 8 equal parts and tells the reader exactly what field the wearer is expert in. Today its a little different its more about the culture and its possible demise. good luck Hoani.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

Sounds really interesting – can you recommend any books on the subject?

hoani
    Participant
    @hoani

Hey there Auzzie, There is more information available today than ever before it was a secret society where only those that naturally inherited the rules of “Ta Moko” or named to follow in the steps of a expert “tattooist” were the only ones privy to such godly expertise it was about safeguarding the sacredness of such work and the purety of its origin. Prayer and incantation prior to,during and after the “Ta Moko” application was paramount the work could not proceed unless protocol was strictly adhered to. I digress, there is a book that I can reccommend written by dual authors, Ko Te Riria & David Simmons this book will give you some insight into Maori ” Ta Moko” if you have a question I am here enjoy,good luck Hoani.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

Thanks Hoani

Much appreciated!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.