purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Never thought abouth this one before, but do you tip the Tattoo Artist? I never have done it the past and I have never heard or been told that your do. In the UK we tip cabbies and our hairdresser (and the girl that washes). We tip in restaurants…

I suppose that if they are running their own shop, the cash is theirs, but if you have a few artists working under one roof and they split the premises cost ot pay for their patch…? Tatting doesn’t come cheap…have I shown my gratitude by choosing the artist and paying him or her….or do I tip?

What is customary in your counrty?

Purplestar

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt

I always tip. Usually $20-$40 depending on size/time of tattoo. Especially with custom pieces.

Happy artists do better work. 😀

I’m interested in seeing what everyone else does too.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

as an artist i can only say that it is nice to recieve a tip but it isnt expected 😀

it does show the artist that you are more than happy with their work 😉

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt
    Outlaw;38918 wrote:
    as an artist i can only say that it is nice to recieve a tip but it isnt expected 😀

it does show the artist that you are more than happy with their work 😉

How often would you say you are tipped, rough guesstimate?

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

I’m from Australia, and we don’t tip over here, but I used to tip my tattooist ’til he told me to stop and buy beer for myself instead…

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw
    Tecratt;38921 wrote:
    How often would you say you are tipped, rough guesstimate?

i would say 25% of the time since the credit crunch started, it used to be nearly all the time

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt
    Outlaw;38923 wrote:
    i would say 25% of the time since the credit crunch started, it used to be nearly all the time

Wow that sucks.

If I can’t afford $20-$40 for a tip I probably don’t need to be spending $400+ for a tat.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

when i had my wings done my bf at the time tipped my artist a few pints at the pub :rolleyes:

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

I had my new tattoo done 3 weeks ago and went back for a little fine tuning (as planned). As I paid in full 3 weeks ago I felt it only right to buy the artist ‘a drink or two’. He wasn’t expecting it but I felt it only right.

thanks for your replies every one.

Tifacady
    Participant
    @tifacady

I tend to tip via chocolates for the shop, but only if I’ve fainted the previous tat!
    (just in case you think I’m a total pussy, I faint when I get too hot, even hot showers are a no go! It’s not the pain!)
    x

Rockysmom
    Participant
    @rockysmom

my bf tipped $20 last time. it was the second session out of 3 or 4 that he’s going to. he asked about it and the guy replied that it’s appreciated, but not expected. they should still do a fab job regardless if you tip.
    i think it’s totally up to you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.