salt life
    Participant
    @salt-life

do ya’ll recommend putting on tattoos? I’ve had my tattoo for 17 days and my skin is still gets a little dry and has that tight look, I still put cocoa butter on it so it isn’t dry but do I need to put sunscreen on it when I go out? or is it still in the healing process and this is normal?

sorry for the stupid questions, I promise for my 2nd tattoo I won’t ask them 😀

teh_universe
    Participant
    @teh_universe

What I would do, although I haven’t got a tattoo yet, would be to wear long sleeves when going outside for the first month or so, then wear a high SPF sunscreen.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

you are still in the healing process, i recommend you keep it covered with loose fitting clothing when going in the sun for about 6 weeks… you can then apply a high factor sun block and proudly show your art to the world 😉

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

It is still too early for sunblock as the lower dermis is still healing and as Outlaw says will take 4-6 weeks to heal up fully below the surface which is why it still feels tight on the skin.

Also feel free to ask questions if it was your 2nd, 20th or 200th tattoo – none of us know everything and we don’t learn unless we ask.

🙂

Take Care
    Matthew

salt life
    Participant
    @salt-life

thank you all for the responses, I will hold off on the sunscreen then. all my shirts cover the tattoo so when I go outside it is covered. I still put the cocoa butter on though right to moisterize it? still 3-4 times a day?

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i never advised cocoa butter to anyone, but if thats what you were told then yes keep using it until all the scabbing has dropped of and the skin just looks shiny… normally its ok after about day 10

salt life
    Participant
    @salt-life

alrighty thanks outlaw, is there reason you don’t advise cocoa butter to anyone or you just recommend other things? next tattoo I am gonna pick up some a&d cream I think it’s called?

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

I have never been one to sit in the sun roasting my skin but I do like to get a colour….and that is in the form of tattoo ink. And as I’m blessed with a pale Irish complexion, I always use a sun block on my visible tattoos when ventruing out in the UVA. (taking on board the advise you have had with reagards to healing).

Purplestar

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

I use spf 2000+, I squeeze the tube and a tracksuit comes out

da-doom-doom-tish

salt life
    Participant
    @salt-life

haha good one

CandyGirl
    Participant
    @candygirl
    purplestar;38615 wrote:
    I have never been one to sit in the sun roasting my skin but I do like to get a colour….and that is in the form of tattoo ink. And as I’m blessed with a pale Irish complexion, I always use a sun block on my visible tattoos when ventruing out in the UVA. (taking on board the advise you have had with reagards to healing).

Purplestar

I’m like you Purple – we Irish lasses with our pale complexions don’t mix well with extended sun exposure – hello red lobster! To the poster, my artist recommended Water Babies sunscreen. It’s gentle, non-irritating, smells decent, and has an SPF 50.

salt life
    Participant
    @salt-life

thanks for the responses

vala
    Participant
    @vala

i’ve just come back from Thailand and whilst I was out there used (when I did remember to) factor 50 Nivea stuff. Did the job however as to its ‘water proof/resistant’ statement I’m not to sure. best off after just drying up and applying again.

pinkiesue
    Participant
    @pinkiesue

i use a sunblock since i have sensitive skin to the sun and i make sure it has spf+30 or more in it the one i am using now has a coconut smell to it and since i live in canada i got it from the pharmaplus drugstore it is their rexall brand of products

eighty4
    Participant
    @eighty4

In the long term I seriously recommend wearing sunscreen.

I got my 1st tattoo done when i was 16 and used to have it out in the sun quite often and it faded quite badly, I got it recoloured and then i always used suncreen on it. It has kept its colour really well, ive had it 9 years now and it still looks great 🙂

Suncreen a few $s recolour few $100, it just isnt worth it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.