teh_universe
    Participant
    @teh_universe

Okay, hi everyone. I’m thinking of getting a tattoo, this will be my first. I’m a student of Japanese and I’ll be visiting Japan later on which is where I want to get it. (Scratch Addiction in Tokyo) What I want, is the Japanese proverb/saying “Saru mo ki kara ochiru”, which translates to “Even monkeys fall from trees”, meaning nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. Here’s what it looks like in Japanese:

็Œฟใ‚‚ๆœจใ‹ใ‚‰่ฝใกใ‚‹

Now, what I need help on is how it should be on my arm. I want it on the underside of my left forearm, like, starting from out of the inside of the elbow and going towards the wrist. But, I can’t decide whether to have it vertical, facing my hand, vertical facing me, or horizontal, going left to right from me to my wrist. I’m favoring the last of the three, but I want some suggestions. Thanks. And do you like the idea?

BioMechanical_Vulture
    Participant
    @biomechanical_vulture

horizontal on the forearm would look cool

teh_universe
    Participant
    @teh_universe

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, because having it vertical ether way would mean ether I, or whoever is looking at it, wouldn’t be able to read it; but horizontal, everyone would. What do you guys think about the tattoo? When I decided on it, a lot of people told me kanji was way too popular and stupid. But, unlike a lot of people, I can read Japanese, well, some. I’m working on it. I have 700 kanji out of my 2055 goal memorized so far.

Another inspiration for this tattoo is that ever since I was a child, I’ve beat myself up for making little mistakes, instead of focusing on all that I’ve accomplished.

Mitzu
    Participant
    @mitzu

I definitely like your idea, especially because it draws on your own experiences so much. And the fact that you can actually read kanji, at least some, makes it even better. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But yeah, horizontal sounds good to me too. That way, you can make the characters bigger as well, I think they would have to be quite small to fit vertically on your wrist.
    Take Care

teh_universe
    Participant
    @teh_universe

Well, after some thought, I can’t decided wether to get it or not. Can anyone else vouch for it? Does anyone else like the idea?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I like the idea a lot and I think it is something that people really do need to understand. We as a species tend to wander around in our little bubbles and spend far too much time looking inwards and not out.

As for placement –

If you do go on the arm I would suggest horizontal as this will allow for better sizing and flow of the characters – as opposed to vertical where you may find them a little bunched up or too small.

However are you going to be in a job where you cam wear short sleeves and have the ink visible?

If not I would suggest maybe horizontal down the tricep, or even the ribs (well ok maybe a bit painful for the first tattoo but looks nice. ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

Take care
    Matthew

teh_universe
    Participant
    @teh_universe

Thanks, sitll thinking about it,. I want to make sure it’s something I want forever.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.