Cheech92007
    Participant
    @cheech92007

I drew this in study hall one day and I want this as my tattoo…

Tl.jpg

I realize im not the best artist so please dont critisize my drawing skills…

BUT, feel free to give me some tips and advise to improve this…
    If any1 feels like sending me a picture of an improved version of this i would be VERY GREATFUL!!

Please help me out guys.
    Thanks alot

~Cheech~

Sweepa26
    Participant
    @sweepa26

Im not much of an artist so no revisions from me. If you want to see some great wings and crosses for inspiration check out the art of Wes Humpston. He did the art for old dogtown boards and has a new company Bulldogskateboards. His wings are awseome

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

First off, if you want to post pics, take that link you just posted and put it between two image tags. They look like this: [ /img]

Just remove the space in between the [ and the /. That’ll make the image pop up into your post, and is much neater than following a link to an outside site.

I understand this is just a concept drawing and that you intend your tattoo artist to doll it up a bit. But, for being 16, it ain’t bad. Keep drawing, you’ll get better.

Now, the bad part.

The design sucks. Not because of the drawing skills–as I said it, as concept art it’s fine, and the composition is symmetrical and balanced.

The problem is that it’s a cliché, and a freaking ugly one at that. Every fucking redneck jackass has that winged cross, along with maybe a praying Jesus with a bloody crown of thorns and a goddamn rottweiler breaking its chain.

If you get it, it’s going to look like crap and label you as someone who puts no thought into his tattoos. Hell, whether you know it or not, it’s flash work, and flash work isbad.

In short, when you turn 18, don’t get this. Go back to the drawing board, figure out who you really are, what speaks to you, and figure out something original, that speaks to who you are, rather than this same old piece of crap.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

erm , not meaning to sound a right bitch ,, but

isnt that a david beckham rip off tattoo ? he has one just like that at the back of his neck ??
    not very original matey !

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

I agree with KH, put some more thought into it. To me, a tattoo should say something about yourself, or tell a story. I can’t stand cliches.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Cheech

I looked over your drawing and it is not bad at all.

Constructive Criticism – I know you didn’t ask for criticism but this is here to help if you are serious about drawing.

What struck me is that you seem to have sketched with a little hesitancy – I can see a variation in pressure marks of the pencil, as though you have done small dotted lines and then joined them.

The best way to practice on symmetrical pieces is first of all trace the picture from a pro piece of flash or art.

Do this 20-30 times (or more) as this train your hand and eye co-ordination to forming the shapes that you want so that when you do come to sketching it out your hand will flow with the shape that you want to draw.

Also try drawing half of the image get a mirror and see how it reflects and try and copy that when doing it free-hand

Also the wings themselves should be identical – whilst you have given this a good effort but these are way off symmetrical.

Angel wings are one of the harder things to draw.

Start by sketching out a single feather in full size look at how they curve and whether the edges are soft or hard.
    Then build this up by practising 3-4 linking feathers and then a single wing.
    Once you have this you will be able to do some serious wings to add to your cross.

Shading

You need to develop shading habits try soft lines of light and dark – do you want to emphasise each feather or give it a soft blend?

Do shadows touch the edges of the wings?

Does the cross need drop shading?

Free hand drawing is something takes years to develop so do not be put off my by comments. Practise everyday and you will get there.

Tattoo Idea

As for the tattoo my advcie is get a picture of the tattoo that has been done by a pro (there are several on the net) and pin it up and look at it every day for a month.

Then ask do i want this on my body for the rest of my life?

Then when you have done that trace it out on your arm with marker or whatever washes off – don’t have to be exact but give you an idea of what it looks like.

If after all that you still want it got to a pro-artist and get it done.

I say this to anybody regardless of age or whether they have no tats or a full body suit – Ink is for life!

Think before you ink.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.