Viking445
    Participant
    @viking445

I’m gonna be going to get my first tattoo from Phil Garcia late next month and Id like to here from everyone what it felt like. I realize that its different for everyone but please humor me.

Just trying to be ready for that first “BZZZZZ” 😮 lol

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

like a red hot knife slicing through your skin mwahahahaha!!!!;)

Sketchytattoos
    Participant
    @sketchytattoos

It doesn’t hurt that bad. Just keep thinking about what a great tattoo your going to have when its done and it wont be that bad.

Kimbo
    Participant
    @kimbo

Nothing gets my heart rate up like the first buzzzzzzzzz of the gun!!
    the outline is the worst, not that bad though, remember they shouldnt go deeper than a few layers of skin so its not going all the way through, by the time you get to the coloring the whole area is numb (from the vibrations i think) and you dont feel it at all, at least i didnt…..
    the old adage of “no pain no gain” really stands for getting tattoos, but as stated before just keep thinking about the awesome piece you gonna have once they are done!
    Just remember to be religeous about your after care, no picking or pulling or the tattoo will be patchy and you gonna have to go and get it done all over again!
    Good Luck
    😀

ExaberationofDecay
    Participant
    @exaberationofdecay

Izarrasink, you’re a meanie 😀

If you’re lucky you may be a freak like me and depending on the area either not feel the pain, it may tickle, experience very mild irritation, or when it does hurt a little you enjoy it. :confused:

I have heard a few people compare it to a cat scratch. It really depends on where you are getting it, what your pain tolerance is, and how light, or heavy handed, your artist is.

There is other advice, on eating, what not to take beforehand, etc. but I’m not going to blather on about it in case you already know. If not feel free to ask!

Viking445
    Participant
    @viking445

By all means blather all you want!! I’m like a sponge with this stuff so don’t stop yourself on my account.

As for the tatto i’m gonna be getting a piece from Phil Garcia on my upper left chest.

Link to Phils work

Basic idea of the design is a Norse Symbol called a Vegvisir which is a Compass design from Viking times (I’m German/Scandinavian) . That symbol is gonna be drawn on a piece of rough parchment (lots of texture) with a piece of charcoal.

I want that design on my upper left chest with the old school square head nails in each corner of the paper going right into my chest. But the catch is i want it to look like I actually nailed this piece of parchment to my chest. Blood dripping down a bit and maybe soaking into the paper.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Outline starts at a cat scratch upwards the shading can vary depending on the size but you tend to numb out after a while.

My first tattoo felt like he was cutting through the flesh on my leg but on retrospect that guy was way too heavy handed.

My second was a cat scratch like feel (portrait).

My last one (Lion) he was like a surgeon – the outline was very bearable and I hardly felt the shading.

My backpiece is again by a new artist so will have to wait and see but will be a tough one as the outline alone will take prob 3-4 hrs. 🙁

Anyhow proper meal before you go and a caffenated soft drink whilst there and plenty of water and you will be fine.

Once you are 15-20 mins into it you settle into a rythym.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viking445
    Participant
    @viking445

Thanx Mat thats exactly what i was looking for.

Phil has been tattooing for about 8 years now i think and had won a hand full of awards at Expo’s so am i right in assuming he wouldn’t be heavy handed?

What about taking a couple Aleve before the session to help with the swelling and a little bit of the pain? It contains Naproxen. Would that be a really bad idea b/c of the bleeding issue?

Educate the newbie!! lol

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Yes it would cause you to bleed out.

Don’t take any pain killers (especially any that contain aspirin), drink alcohol, smoke weed, or take amphetamines or cocaine before a tattoo.

These cause blood flow increase and you will bleed a hell of a lot more.

Do –

Have a proper meal before hand.

Have a caffinated drink and at least 1 litre of water to hand. (both stop fainting)

Take some music or a book and try and relax.

There is also a thread call ‘paranoid about infection’ that will give you soem more info on what to look out for if worried about infection and general aftercare.

I should imagine that he won’t be a butcher with all that exp so don’t worry.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viking445
    Participant
    @viking445

Ok well i guess the Aleves out. lol

Good mean, a good jolt of Dr Pepper (to contract the blood vessels i assume?) and a jug of water. Gotcha

The only issue about infection I gonna worry about is that i work in the ER here and there lots of bugs floating around. I’ll have to be very careful with hand washing i guess for that first week. I have a pack of non-stick gauze patchs from when i road rashed the hell out of my leg on a shitty landing. Could i use those when i go to work?

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler
    Viking445;36927 wrote:
    I’m gonna be going to get my first tattoo from Phil Garcia late next month and Id like to here from everyone what it felt like. I realize that its different for everyone but please humor me.

Just trying to be ready for that first “BZZZZZ” 😮 lol

All depends where you have it. My first was a tribal band on my arm which went all the way around. The outer part of my arm just felt like a cat scratch, the inner part did smart a bit.

The one between my shoulder blades hurt quite a lot to be honest, after a while I felt a bit light headed due to the pain, and was quite clammy. But only lasted just over an hour and the outcome was worth the pain. The touching up a few weeks later was pretty bad too :-/

The one on my wrist was a doddle

The one on my chest wasn’t bad at all, although did get a little sore towards the end, but nothing really.

Unlike others on here I personally think the filling in is more painful that the outline, but to date I’ve only had solid black ink.

I can’t wait till my next tattoo, just deciding what I want as I have so many ideas, want a real piece of art next though.:-)

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink
    ExaberationofDecay;36938 wrote:
    Izarrasink, you’re a meanie 😀

If you’re lucky you may be a freak like me and depending on the area either not feel the pain, it may tickle, experience very mild irritation, or when it does hurt a little you enjoy it. :confused:

I have heard a few people compare it to a cat scratch. It really depends on where you are getting it, what your pain tolerance is, and how light, or heavy handed, your artist is.

There is other advice, on eating, what not to take beforehand, etc. but I’m not going to blather on about it in case you already know. If not feel free to ask!

yeah i was a bit mean lmao, was in a cheeky mood yesterday, but anyhow……..everyone has different pain thresholds

Viking445
    Participant
    @viking445

so it could be anywhere from getting sliced open to having the sharp end of paper clip getting dragged over my skin.

well it will sure be interesting to see how i deal with it.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

You’re knew here, so let me clue you in on something:

Matthew is full of shit. He likes giving people bad advice so he can laugh behind their backs as they go and make the same mistakes he did.

Whatever you do, do NOT get inked. It burns like a thousand gay men snapping you in the nuts with a single wet towel. Do you know how much force a thousand gay men can leverage into a towel snap? Well, I can, and I can say that’s EXACTLY what it felt like.

Still, it you go through with this insanity, post pis because it sounds like it’ll be a killer design.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Chance666
    Participant
    @chance666

Getting the tattoo doesn’t hurt that much, it is god damn itching that follows like a week later, that will drive you crazy! :rolleyes:

My only advise is bring water and something sugary to drink.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.