rachmiller9
    Participant
    @rachmiller9

Hey all.

I’m looking for some ideas, or maybe just a little inspiration.

I am graduating from college this May, and as a present to myself, I decided I’m finally going to get the tattoo that I’ve wanted for some time. My dad and I have had a lot of issues in our past. He is a severe alcoholic and was just told a few months ago that he has about two years until his liver will fail. I would really like to have some closure with the things in our past, and move on from it, but I also want the reminder there for me, because I have had many issues with alcoholism too… Blah, blah.

Basically, I’m wondering if anyone knows of any flowers/birds/quotes/anything that symbolizes resilience, perseverance, closure, forgiveness, etc.

I’m really open to any ideas. Thanks a lot, guys.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw
    rachmiller9;36628 wrote:

I’m really open to any ideas. Thanks a lot, guys.

try the intro section its normally a better place to start

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Rach

Yes I have plenty of ideas and more than happy to help.

I will need some more details on what your personal tastes are and your dislikes (ink is for life);

Colour or Black n Shade?
    Style – Serious, portrait, fantasy, comic, bio-mech, scripture, religious iconic?
    Size – Small? Half/Full sleeve? Backpiece etc
    Masculine or feminine style?

If you can provide this we can start to narrow some ideas down for you.

Take Care
    Matthew

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

how about making your own quote…?
    im down for trying a design out for you…. tell us a bit mroe about yourself and we will give it a shot….

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler

Just an idea, but have you considered a phoenix symbolising starting over again/a new life?

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler

Hi,
    Just done a bit of quick research and found this:-

“Koi Tattoos – Koi fish, or Carp, are a fixture of Japanese tattooing and play important roles in both Chinese and Japanese myths, legends, fables and stories. In many of those stories, Koi are transformed through their efforts and perseverance, able to climb waterfalls or become dragons. The Koi as a symbol represents perseverance in the face of adversity and strength of character or purpose. The Carp can also represents wisdom, knowledge, longevity, and loyalty.

In tattoo imagery, especially in combination with flowing water, the koi symbolizes courage, achievement, and overcoming lifeโ€™s obstacles”

“Both Japanese and Chinese lore are also filled with stories of creatures, who, through their special quests, at the end of their journeys, were transformed into dragons. In Japan, these were often the stories of Carp and Koi who through their perseverance, journeys and struggles, in the end were transformed into dragons.”

I’ve seen some magnificant Koi and dragon tattoos. I personally like them in black and grey, but you can get them in some very vibrant colours as well. Do a quick search on google images for some ideas, there’s a massive variety.

Cheers, Toby

tattman91
    Participant
    @tattman91

as the koi follows up the yellow river and passes through the dragons gate it is tranformed into a beautiful young dragon… this is a symolism of over coming lifes difficulties and persevering through rough times…. sounds like a very fetching design for you to use… also be sure to have the positioning of the koi as if it was swimming up your body towards your heart… its a good omen… as if your body were the yellow river in the story…..

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

There is just something about that yellow river that don’t sit right….

๐Ÿ˜‰

That aside it is a lovely concept for a tattoo.

Matthew

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler
    Sherav;36774 wrote:
    There is just something about that yellow river that don’t sit right….

Matthew

Haha ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kimbo
    Participant
    @kimbo

Hey,
    it has to be personal to you, saying that does your dad have any tatt? If so take mabye take a new spin on one of his old tatts, add to it with something from your passion.
    Just remember to research not just the tatt but your artsit as well, once its there its a bitch to get fixed, covered, lazered or which ever option you choose to rectify it.
    Good luck

rachmiller9
    Participant
    @rachmiller9

Sherav;36695 wrote:
    Hi Rach

Colour or Black n Shade?
    Style – Serious, portrait, fantasy, comic, bio-mech, scripture, religious iconic?
    Size – Small? Half/Full sleeve? Backpiece etc
    Masculine or feminine style?
    Matthew

Thanks for ALL the help guys!!

My preferences are pretty wishy washy, so bear with me.

COLOR: It will most likely be black, with a bit of shading.

STYLE: Feminine, but serious. I want something that will look good with any age, so no stars or hearts, haha. I want something subtle, but beautiful. I like the idea of vines and birds.

SIZE: Not teenie tiny, not a backpiece. The only thing I know for sure is that I want it to look like it belongs there, and looks good there; not just random ink. Right now, I’ve been thinking getting it down my ribcage, or possibly starting at my hip bone, and either going up my ribcage, or down towards my lower side.

I really like the idea of using symbols to convey meaning, like this tat: http://mzfriendlyhands.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/phoenix-ivy-tattoo/

And I really like the IDEA of koi fish, but fish makes me sick so I don’t know if I could do that one, haha. But definately something similar to that!

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

The ivy phoenix is actually a beautiful concept and would look very nice in a tattoo.

Based on your tastes I would suggest the ivy vine in a lattice form, as the main focus.

Then you could add something which feminises the tattoo such as a

Doves, bird of paradise, swallows enfolded within the ivy.

Alternatively you could go for blossoms on water – these have 2 concepts the lotus bloom on a stream or the (cherry or other) blossoms gently falling down a waterfall.

Hope these help to get you started.

Take Care
    Matthew

rachmiller9
    Participant
    @rachmiller9

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the input.

snerkler
    Participant
    @snerkler

Hi, if you want flowers on there have you considered having both yours and your father’s birth flowers? Each month has it’s own flower so very much like the birth stone principle. As for placement, you’re very brave considering having it done on your ribcage ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have you considered having it start on your foot and working up into the lower part of your lower leg? I always think vine pieces look nice here on ladies, and if done right very feminine. Just some suggestions ๐Ÿ™‚

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

Hi . 1st of all im sorry that you have had to deal with this with your father it must have been hard for you .

just to add my 2 pence worth ,

i once dated a guy that was a councilor for people in AA and they use a butterfly with a Triangle in a Circle
    on the butterfly’s body .

717c_1_b.jpg

he used to also have a drink problem but over come it and used his experiences to help others and went to uni for the 1st time at the age of 34
    i know that in the AA program they have a quote

“To thine own self be true”

which they get on a bronze coin with a butterfly on if they are off the drink for a whole year .
    i think if it was me , i would have a realistic looking butterfly which is a little frail looking , damage around the wings or something maybe with a quote under it .
    butterfly_3_lg.gif
    P1040383.jpg
    or maybe a trapped fragile butterfly in a jar might represent some feeling you have inside that you never got the chance to say to your father .

“A Healthy Body is a Chamber for the Soul. But a sick Body is a Prison.”

if the idea is it girly i think a moth would work as well

cg972494.png

All the best

Tana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.