kirky2k4
    @

hiya, im new here i am 21 from barnsley south yorkshire in the uk i started learning to tattoo at the age of 18 and since then in the last 3 years my skils have deleloped i have worked with a number of tattooests out there and now wanting to open my own shop,

any artists out there with there own shop i would realy apreciate advise on where to start and what i need ect

many thanks in advance simon (tribal master) kirk

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Kirky

(I am not a tattoo artist but have run my own business and currently researching tattooing).

First of all you need a business plan. Seriously a studio like any other business eats money.
    Rent, rates, fittings, electric, gas, supplies, furnishings, equipment.

All of this is going to come out of your pocket before you can even whisper the word profit. 😉

You also need to consider your advertising expenses and how many customers you project to tattoo.

The premises needs to be approved by your local environmental health and means in UK at least you cannot park it right next to a school etc. Then you need to be licensed and health screened. This also costs as far as I can tell.

Depending on your city you may also need planning approval for the studio as ppl may not want it in their area. (Again it costs).

You also need to have a contract to dispose of contanimated sharps (needles) and contanimated by products, tubes, ink pots wipes etc.

Boring I know but these are all the things you have to consider before you even pick up a machine.

Good luck with the project!

Matthew

smallville_hero
    Participant
    @smallville_hero

After making business mistakes myself I would say start off by talking to business Link. You can find them on the net. They will give you a starting point about businesses. be warned they are pretty sh1te though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.