Azure
    Participant
    @azure

I recently had a little tattoo done at the top of my arm on the back (so it’s visible when you’re looking at me from the back, not the front) – it’s not the most impressive of things in the world lol but I like the concept, it’s the four zodiac symbols of my close family (mum, dad, sister and son) – but since then I had a large tattoo at the top of my back and to cut a long story short, with that their now I think it makes the one on my arm look too short, it needs bringing up onto my shoulder. I came up with this – adding the dates in roman numerals, not the most original of ideas in the world I know but I don’t want them in usual numbers as I already have two tattoos elsewhere on my body, one of which is for my son and has his birthdate in normal numbers, and another is a tribute to my mum (who recently died) and has her dates again in normal numbers, so I don’t want the same thing twice, but I want it to be related to the fact that it represents my family.

How do you think it looks? I think it looks ok but just wanted an impartial opinion – it doesn’t look too ‘random’ does it with the two different bits? (the bottom part is what i already have):

armtataddoe4.jpg

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Its……different

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Ok I am not dissing the tattoo.

I actually like the designs but see them as two separate constructs.

The symbols would look great but I think that if you were to have roman numerals I would have them done as a separate tattoo maybe within a frame of some sort.

Does that make sense? I can picture the design but my mind is automatically trying to compartmentalise them into two sides, symbols on one side and numbers on the other.

Anyhow I think the idea behind it is a real sweet thing to do.

Hope you post what you get done. ๐Ÿ™‚

Matthew

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

I know what you mean, since posting the question I’ve been rethinking it, it’s just a problem because as I said, the reason I want the numbers at all is because I’ve been trying to think of something to bring the bottom half (which I already have – the pic of that is in ‘my four tattoos’ thread on inked skin) higher up. But I know that together they just look a bit… strange, lol. The other possibility is to have the the numbers as a seperate tattoo, but slightly higher up in the same area, so they’re perhaps seperated by an inch or so. Will think about it anyway and post what I get done!

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Azure

Checked out your pics – some great ink there.

I think with a little bit of space between them the roman numerals will make an excellent addition, and cover the higher part of your shoulder.

Alternatively you could extend the zodiac symbols by adding further symbols that represent each of the dates? (just throwing ideas around).

Anyhow good luck can’t wait to see the post.

Matthew

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

Yeah, I’m definitely going to make it a seperate thing now, decided on that! I’m going to stick with the dates, but now I can’t decide whether to go with the roman numerals as above, or to have it written out in Latin like this:

latindatesdc8.jpg

Do you know if you can you buy transfer paper where you can print a design out and transfer it onto your skin? I’m sure I’ve seen it around somewhere but not sure! It’d help if I could see how it’d look in advance (without having to make a rushed decision in the tattoo studio!), don’t want to risk making it look worse than it does!

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

*that’s meant to be xvi, not xci, in the first line of the above image! must remember to change that!

Kiri
    Participant
    @kiri

When you go into the studio they have transfer paper there and will be happy to assist you in your decision.

smallville_hero
    Participant
    @smallville_hero

just a personal opinion but I like the roman numerals idea a lot, its something very personal and great homage. I am not as keen on the zodiac signs. Sounded good in theory but just dont like the designs as much.
    End of the day its up to you what you want though. COOL IDEA!

Azure
    Participant
    @azure
    Kiri;34236 wrote:
    When you go into the studio they have transfer paper there and will be happy to assist you in your decision.

I know they do in the shop lol, I was just wondering if there was a website I could order some myself to play around with at home.

Smallville – I agree that the numerals are by far the best part but unfortunately it’s the zodiac part that I already have – my lesson in life not to get impulse tattoos as I’m always preaching! I think the roman numerals would look really cool as a totally seperate wrist tattoo but the purpose of them as I said before is to try and bring the zodiac symbols higher up onto my shoulder :rolleyes:

GingaSquid
    Participant
    @gingasquid

I prefer the numerals to the latin – but what about writing the dates in Ancient Greek instead? I like ancient greek at its ‘curlier’. Anyone who studied Classics or Religious Studies at university should be able to help – or maybe you can Google it? ๐Ÿ™‚

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack
    Azure;34266 wrote:
    I know they do in the shop lol, I was just wondering if there was a website I could order some myself to play around with at home.

Smallville – I agree that the numerals are by far the best part but unfortunately it’s the zodiac part that I already have – my lesson in life not to get impulse tattoos as I’m always preaching! I think the roman numerals would look really cool as a totally seperate wrist tattoo but the purpose of them as I said before is to try and bring the zodiac symbols higher up onto my shoulder :rolleyes:

E bay is as good as anyplace for picking things up or you could try this way

You can get / make transfer paper by using old fashion typewriter carbon paper and tracing paper that you should be able to get easily from art stores office supply outlets etc

First draw / print your design on to a piece of A4 paper
    Then trace your design onto tracing paper
    Place carbon paper ink side up and place your completed trace on top
    Go over the design on the trace paper again and you will notice the underside of the paper taking on the outline
    Next use a roll on deodorant stick to lightly cover the area you want the design to adhere to
    Cut design to slightly oversize line up the position you want it to go place on area and apply pressure to it gently peal away and this should transfer a outline to the area and give you a ROUGTH idea of how it will look

Iโ€™m sure there are other methods and other ways but I hope this one helps for now till someone comes along with a better / easier way of doing it ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.