Azure
    Participant
    @azure
    eighty4;34164 wrote:
    I didnt explain myself well enough. There are lots of people who come to NZ on holiday and get Maori tatts, they know nothing about maori people, nothing about the meaning of the tatts…they probably never spoke to a maori person they just get it cos they think it looks cool.

I think its a huge disrespect to maori people to do this. In the past people have copied maori tatts and the tatt they have copied has been a very personal tattoo to that person, and also the tribe they belong too. There are maori tattooist that will only tattoo maori people.

So i dont think im disrespectful at all, i just dont respect people who clearly dont have it for the maori people or their tats

No, I understood that. The point I’m trying to make is that you’re a hypocrite, because tribal does have roots in another culture that isn’t yours, but you just got it to look cool.

eighty4
    Participant
    @eighty4

but i didnt get it too look cool. I very rarely show it too people, i didnt get it for other people to look at, it was something i wanted for myself

Azure
    Participant
    @azure

So who is to say everyone who gets maori tattoos when it’s not their culture do so to be cool? I’m quite sure there will be plenty of people walking around with maori tattoos that they got for themselves, not to show off, just because they liked the design.

Whichever way you look at it, you’re ‘guilty’ of the very thing you’re ranting about.

People who get maori tattoos are hurting nobody (other than themselves!). Where is the problem? If maori’s don’t like it then perhaps that reflects a little uptightedness. Maybe they should be flattered that so many people wish to emulate their art. A lot of traditional tribal designs like I’m sure the one you have are influenced by Celtic art. So what would you say if one day a pissed off Irishman or Scotsman saw your tat and came and accused you of copying his culture when you had nothing to do with it? But you know what, that wouldn’t happen, because people here are not that damn petty!

Saint
    Participant
    @saint

I’m not a fan of Tribal tattoos, mainly because everyone and their mother has one and two the originality and meaning aspect isn’t there. If I so chose I could have sleeves right now but I don’t because each of my pieces means something to me and tribal lacks all of these factors so no I don’t like them but its your body at the end of the day no one can tell you what you can do with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.