wildflower
    Participant
    @wildflower

Hello! I am newbie here. Just have a question. Three weeks ago, I had my first tattoo which is the name of my husband in arabic and english. Then he showed a picture of this to our friend and the next morning, i got a call from that friend saying that I should have my hubbie’s name covered because according to him, it has been a “cardinal rule” not to have your spouse’s name tattooed on your body as it may cause death to any of us or separation.

I know that this sound so superstitious and without a basis but would like to know as well if any of you here heard about this. At any rate, I decided that I will have my tattoo redesigned.

By the way, for any of you who may want to help by giving advice on how I can redesign my tattoo, please check another thread which i posted at –tattoo designs – design request–.

Thanks in advance!!

mitattoo.jpg

madkemist
    Participant
    @madkemist

i can tell you that i dont believe in things of that nature. If u are meant to break up then it will happen anyways, if you are meant to live a happy life then cheers you can do that with the tattoo.

just forget bout this issue and move on.

bigbud
    Participant
    @bigbud

bollocks
    cardinal rules in tattooing
    you pays your money and you pick your design
    the rules are for the artist not for the tattoo
    you have only just had it done enjoy until the next 1 🙂

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i have never heard of it meaning it will cause the death of one of you, but we always say to people dont tattoo your partners name as it is an omen, most coverups we get asked to do are to hide the name of a previous partner as the relationship has ended, if you are very young ie… 19 yrs old and been with your partner for say 3 weeks then its a no no, dont do it, if you are say in your 30’s upwards and been married for several years and everything is still peachy and happy in your married life then i cant see a problem deep down..
    but if i ever get asked to do names i try to talk them out of it, if they say stuff you man ill go somewhere else then thats their call… i would rather not do the piece than to put a piece on somebody that they will regret down the line… it aint all down to taking money, and we might enjoy inflicting pain, but we dont like fucking up someones body.

i would never put my wifes name on my body……. i cant afford the divorce hahahahahahahaha 🙂

wildflower
    Participant
    @wildflower

@Outlaw 31074 wrote:

i have never heard of it meaning it will cause the death of one of you, but we always say to people dont tattoo your partners name as it is an omen, most coverups we get asked to do are to hide the name of a previous partner as the relationship has ended, if you are very young ie… 19 yrs old and been with your partner for say 3 weeks then its a no no, dont do it, if you are say in your 30’s upwards and been married for several years and everything is still peachy and happy in your married life then i cant see a problem deep down..
    but if i ever get asked to do names i try to talk them out of it, if they say stuff you man ill go somewhere else then thats their call… i would rather not do the piece than to put a piece on somebody that they will regret down the line… it aint all down to taking money, and we might enjoy inflicting pain, but we dont like fucking up someones body.

i would never put my wifes name on my body……. i cant afford the divorce hahahahahahahaha 🙂

First off – Thanks to everyone for all of your insights.

Well, i guess that’s what our friend meant when he said that it is not good to have Joe’s name tattooed on me. I am already 28 and we’ve been together for 7 months only so we’ve got a long way to go. I am not superstitious in nature but i will have it covered up nevertheless just to be sure that the omen thing will be out of the picture. That is also a good excuse for my husband to allow me to get inked the 2nd time. After this has been done at my back, i felt like i want to experience the pain once more. Kinda weird but i really enjoyed the feeling of being tattooed, plus the fact that finally, i get to have what i’ve been wanting for for almost 10 years now.

I had this for like 3 weeks now. It was done on my left shoulder blade. When do you think is the soonest time that I can have it covered? Another problem that I have is that I don’t know if it will be easy to find a good tattoo artist here in our place who can do the cover-up so goodluck for me.

P.S.
    I really like this forum a lot. Everyone seems to be friendly and good-natured. I’ve tried another site (which i won’t mention) and all that i’ve got were words from their moderators and members saying that I have a shitty tattoo and that my husband will probably die before i get my tattoo covered up and plenty of other mean words. What a way to help other tattoo enthusiasts like me. 😡

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

Welcome
    Aye it seems for every good helpful friendly Tattoo site out there you will find half a dozen were Newbie’s are not made to feel welcome. That’s what I like about this place —constructive criticism is offered without making the receiver feel as if they had no right to interrupt the armchair warrior’s PRIVATE forum.

As for having names tattooed —personal choice I have my grand daughters name tattooed on me twice but none of my kids or my wife of 36 years names done—that’s not to say that I won’t in the future just that I haven’t up to now.

Think once you’ve talked with a few of the artists on site they will tell you the same not a good idea so early on in a relationship due to the amount of cover-ups they are asked to do when things turn sour (not saying that will happen to you just a generalisation)

As for a cover up without knowing the size of it it may be harder for people to offer suggestions —if it’s small it could be converted into a butterfly with the word Joe forming part of the body or it could be covered with a Rose design either way hope what I’ve said has been of some help to you 🙂

wildflower
    Participant
    @wildflower

@Tartanmack 31080 wrote:

Welcome
    Aye it seems for every good helpful friendly Tattoo site out there you will find half a dozen were Newbie’s are not made to feel welcome. That’s what I like about this place —constructive criticism is offered without making the receiver feel as if they had no right to interrupt the armchair warrior’s PRIVATE forum.

As for having names tattooed —personal choice I have my grand daughters name tattooed on me twice but none of my kids or my wife of 36 years names done—that’s not to say that I won’t in the future just that I haven’t up to now.

Think once you’ve talked with a few of the artists on site they will tell you the same not a good idea so early on in a relationship due to the amount of cover-ups they are asked to do when things turn sour (not saying that will happen to you just a generalisation)

As for a cover up without knowing the size of it it may be harder for people to offer suggestions —if it’s small it could be converted into a butterfly with the word Joe forming part of the body or it could be covered with a Rose design either way hope what I’ve said has been of some help to you 🙂

Yeah…you’re right about the “when things turn sour” thing and the coverup work one has to do once the relationship ends, citing as an example some of the famous Holywood stars. Thank you for your suggestion about the butterfly – I thought as well that it would be the easiest to do. I’ll go check with an artist and have him draw some proposed tattoos and will post it for opinion once i’ve got it.

By the way, my ink’s size is somewhat around 1×1.5 inches for the arabic and .5×1 inch for the english.
    myunfinishedtattoo.jpg

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

LOL– bigger than what I thought so strike both those ideas of the list, still now people can see the extent of coverage they will hopefully come up with a solution 🙂

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i dont want to sound like a complete twat here, but did i read that correctly…. you have only been together for 7 months and your married to him allready ??????

i could suggest leave it as it is for now, then when you both start to throw tantrums like we all do (part of married life), then you can explain to your hubby that you are going to get it covered because of the the omen, show him what people have said, he will hopefully respect your choice of action to prevent your relationship falling apart and it will bring you both closer together and help work things out…. see how it goes, stick around the forum and get to know people better and im sure others as well as myself will draw something up for you if you need it..;)

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

You might want to think of something like this as you said he was only letting you have one more:)

poss1.jpg

Hunni Bunni
    Participant
    @hunni-bunni

@wildflower 31077 wrote:

I really like this forum a lot. Everyone seems to be friendly and good-natured. I’ve tried another site (which i won’t mention) and all that i’ve got were words from their moderators and members saying that I have a shitty tattoo and that my husband will probably die before i get my tattoo covered up and plenty of other mean words. What a way to help other tattoo enthusiasts like me. 😡

really??? thats SHOCKING!!!

well i am a member of a few forums, and i have to add i havent looked back since i joined this one!!! (i love you all guyz!!!) its soooo disheartening to be told this and it gets me wired that people think its okay to pass a negative opinion on somebody seeking advice!!!

as for the omen you were told, ive never heard of that one, its a new one for me!!! ive heard that it can foretell divorce, but still its only coincidence if that does happen!!!

personally, i tell people that they should only get names of their children or relatives done, but if they really wanna get their partners name inked on them, then its purely their choice and i wouldnt slate them for it!!!

kez 😀

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

nice idea of them flowers but that would not cover the original black. as stated you could possibly hide it with a butterly. but i think it would take something stronger such as an school style rose.

Tartanmack
    Participant
    @tartanmack

@Outlaw 31093 wrote:

nice idea of them flowers but that would not cover the original black. as stated you could possibly hide it with a butterly. but i think it would take something stronger such as an school style rose.

You are of course right when you say the colours would not cover the black (unless it was lightened with lazar treatment first), I tried a butterfly first of and it was BIG so thought Id throw in the flower arrangement as a guide to show the placement could conceal the area and still look feminine ,another way would be to use the writing as stems with flowers branching off of them –may work?:)

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

I have to say i dont think its a good idea tattooing peoples names on you unless they are dead and its in memory, as for the bad luck and all that, total bullshit!!! I have a “JOE” tattoo in my albums if you have a look, done by me on me, its in memory of my uncle who raised me from a 6 week old baby.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

@Tartanmack 31094 wrote:

You are of course right when you say the colours would not cover the black (unless it was lightened with lazar treatment first), I tried a butterfly first of and it was BIG so thought Id throw in the flower arrangement as a guide to show the placement could conceal the area and still look feminine ,another way would be to use the writing as stems with flowers branching off of them –may work?:)

Could go with a black tribal butterfly, would look nice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.