brummie1972
    Participant
    @brummie1972

hi guys looking for some help- ideas for a tattoo to remember my dad who passed away september he was in the navy so something around this is what i am looking for ..thanks

Aero_Dave
    Participant
    @aero_dave

Well, how long was your Father in the Navy? Here’s a ‘better’ question, when I say Dad / Father, what comes to Your mind, about Your Dad? See for me, I had a close connection with my father, because he spent 20 years in the Air Force. I’m the youngest for 4 and the only one to follow in my father’s footsteps, as I joined the USAF myself. So when my father passed away (2-years ago) I thought about what I wanted as a memorial piece. I almost got a Tat of Dad’s old military company insignia that he always wanted to get but never did. But then I thought, that’s Not what I think of, when I think of Dad. See, he was in from 1949-1970. I was born in 1963 and Dads old company insignia was from the Korean War timeframe, long before me. So I thought about how Dad and I Are close, and it’s because we share the same Military branch, the Air Force. My Brother & Sister told me a few years after I joined the militray, that Dad & I had a ‘Bond’ now, that they knew that never could have. It was knid of strange, but they were right. Dad & I were differnet after I joined. I know he was Extremely proud of me, as much as I was of him. Dad was always there for us, worked hard all his life to provide for his family. When my father was told had had terminal cancer, the very next Tat I got, was ‘Family’, written in Kanji on my right wrist. I wanted anyone who saw my memorial piece to ask me about it and I’d tell them what it means to me. I only got the Tat for me, but I love to tell others if they ask me about it. I just got mine about 3 weeks ago, on Dad passing Anniversary of 9/24. Exactly 2-years on the day my father passed-away, I got my memorial piece. It’s on my right-side ribs, skin tore open, showing my Heart, some rib bones & my Fathers Dog Tag, hanging around my Heart! The day of my father’s funeral, we had a nice bill-board made up, with a ton of old pictures of Dad. My mother hung my father’s dog tags on the corner of the bill board. After the funeral was over, I took Dad’s old Dog Tags, put them on, and haven’t taken them off since. I think mom knew better then to ask for them back anyways! So I would say, what is the 1st thing that comes to your mind, when I say Dad? Did you & Dad have anything in common, or share the same passion for something? Take your time, as there is really no time limit, as to when you should get the memorial Tat done. It’s yours and for you only. The Tat doesn’t have to make since to anyone but you. Show it off if you want, or have it just for you. To me, these are not only the Most important Tats you’ll get, but also my Most personal one’s too. Let me know what you decide on, whenever that is. Sorry for your loss too. I know the feeling.

Dave…

brummie1972
    Participant
    @brummie1972

thanks for the reply dave your words are very moving and there are a lot of good points there to think about will give it some deep thought and start sketching a few things out .my dad also passed away after a battle with cancer. got some memorabilia at moms so will look through to get a few ideas.also know what ships he served on so that could be a help to.he had many tattoos himself he picked up throught the years of sevice, i always remember my favourite one he had on his right arm he got done when in tokyo, trying to get a good picture to enlarge to try this idea. he also fought in the navys boxing team picking up a few medels to go with his service ones .so there are a few things to go with so thanks again keep in touch so i can fill you in..
    mark

TonyN
    Participant
    @tonyn

Hi Mark

Dave makes some really good comments. What is the first thing that you think of when you remember your dad? Think of some of the proud moments he had in his life. What he achieved as a boxer. In the navy.

One thing to bear in mind is often the simpler the better, as you don’t want to put too many different things in their as it wouldn’t look as good. IMHO.

My dad is currently battling too and starting chemo soon.

All the best

Tony

brummie1972
    Participant
    @brummie1972

your right tony i am working on a few ideas at the moment ,will have to post my final picture when i finish hope everything goes ok with your dad

TonyN
    Participant
    @tonyn

Thanks Mark

It’s been about 10 months since he was diagnosed with leukemia. His white blood cell count just keeps rising and is now at a limit when treatment has to begin. Terrible thing and I really can’t comprehend what you have gone through. Just making sure I’m enjoying every day with him I can.

Anyway, back to your tattoo! Definitely show us what you come up with, I’m sure it will do him proud.

Tony

rimpi1977
    Participant
    @rimpi1977

The Tat doesn’t have to make since to anyone but you. Show it off if you want, or have it just for you. To me, these are not only the Most important Tats you’ll get, but also my Most personal one’s too. Let me know what you decide on, whenever that is. Sorry for your loss too. I know the feeling.

ivoalex
    Participant
    @ivoalex

free tattoos:)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.