Grace Elizabeth
    Participant
    @grace-elizabeth

I just turned 18! I am looking to get a tattoo to remember my father who passed away years ago. One of the gifts he gave me as a child was a dogwood tree that no longer blooms. As my first tattoo I am thinking that I would like to get a dogwood tree branch with a couple flowers on it on my left shoulder. not too big. I like the idea of using only black no color, and it being pretty small and simple. I have searched google and have found these pictures. Anyone who has any ideas and comments I would really appreciate it. I dont want to make any mistakes and regret this later on.

Links to Pix.
    dogwood1.jpg

82313934.Y2qm1COZ.YOSEMITE07051.jpg

101684~Pacific-Dogwood-Blossoms-Posters.jpg

Pittsburghdrawing31.jpg ******

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Are you wanting the entire tree or just a vine? If you’re going with a small design, I’d say only do a vine full of blossoms rather than an entire tree. It’s more delicate and feminine to do it that way. If you’re going for more of a tree, you’d probably want to place the tat on a larger part of your body like your back. Small but detailed is always nice.

Grace Elizabeth
    Participant
    @grace-elizabeth

Yes, just a branch kind of a thing, very small. I like the very last picture. a vine with like 3 flowers. How do people feel about just the black… no color.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

I’ll tell you right now that white ink doesn’t last. It fades and you have to get it redone. So just having your tat in black ink is a good idea. Good luck with it and post some pix once it’s done!!

Grace Elizabeth
    Participant
    @grace-elizabeth

Yeah. Just the outline is what i was thinking. Maybe some shading. Idk. Of course ill post pics. Thanks!!! Any more feedback from anyone else?????

trueblood
    Participant
    @trueblood

you’re definitely going to want shading… i can almost guarantee it… tattoos look so much better once theyre shaded in 🙂 But, yea, i agree, white ink wont last on anybody… i dont know much about dogwood trees, but im assuming they only bloom white flowers… but when the artist does the shading he can give the allusion of white

Aero_Dave
    Participant
    @aero_dave

Yes, Black will look good, but you will want shading. It brings out the details so much better. I don’t have any good pictures of my work on me, but I have 2 full Black & Grey sleeves. I also have about 15 Cherry Blossoms on my right sleeve and they look great! Any good artist will make it look good. Just check out their portfolio and find someone that does alot of black work. They are the one’s who can make the shading look the best. I also like the idea of jsut 1 vine and 3-4 flowers. Sounds like a nice piece for the shoulder area.
    let us know (pictures too) if you get it.

Dave…

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Aero please post pix ASAP!! I’d love to see that cherry blossom sleeve.

+1 to shading!!

Aero_Dave
    Participant
    @aero_dave

@Demure 27728 wrote:

Aero please post pix ASAP!! I’d love to see that cherry blossom sleeve.

+1 to shading!!

Demure, the 15 Cherry Blossoms are spread-out, all down the arm. So, it’s not a Cherry Blossom sleeve, they are just part of the entire Japanese theme. I’ll try to get an album started, once I take some good pictures.
    Here’s a bad / old picture of the top, right wrist.
    013.jpg
    Thanks,
    Dave…

Calandryll
    Participant
    @calandryll

i like it, and i especially like that the bottom does not make a cut across your wrist (a line all the way around) it is tradition that making a tattoo cut off part of your body creates a barrior for your energy…

dont really believe the whole energy thing, but i do think that cuttin your wrist from your arm with a tattoo doen’t look good.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Looks pretty rad.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.