TagiDoll
Participant
@tagidoll

I did a search for “Plagiarism” and it didn’t turn up much except a disgruntled someone removing their tattoos from this website so if it has been discussed recently kindly point me that way.

I already have my next ink set my mind and I even have the artist I want to approach. Just have to save the dollarydoos. My issue is that is if the ink I want is a realistic spider and I give the artist I want a photo a photographer took with a macro lens (and the image looks distinctly his) am I/my artist plagiarising that photographer?

Macro Photos of Jumping Spiders Wearing Water Drops as Fancy Hats Do not click this if you are afraid of spiders to the extent you can’t handle seeing images of them.

This is not the image/photographer I have in mind but it is similar. The guy I linked above sells prints of these images. Although he does not own jumping spiders with water on their heads, he owns these exact prints so if a tattoo artists copies them he is plagiarising, correct?

I know that I could always ask permission to have their photographs reproduced and in reality not much a photographer can do that is on the other side of the world from me if I just got it anyway but I was thinking about it and it does bother me.

Having never had a realism tattoo before I just assume artists copy direct from a photo, yes?

Dan
Participant
@dan

can you contact the photographer and ask permission to use the photo as a tattoo ?

maybe he would grant you permission with credit to him if you showed it on the internet,or maybe he would ask for a small fee ?

he’s only asking $8.25 for an 8×12 photo print,ask him if you buy on can you use it for a tattoo,you’re not making money on the tattoo by getting it.I may be wrong but once you buy one it’s yours.

and if you do get a tattoo like that,IMO don’t get the water drop,it will look like some weird hat or indistinguishable blob.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

That would be one difficult tattoo.

I agree with Dan about the water drop.

It’s been my experience that if I give my tattoo artist a picture for a reference, he will do his own design based on the subject I give him. If you give your artist a photo and tell him you want a tattoo exactly like this, I doubt many would agree to that.

Keep us posted.

TagiDoll
Participant
@tagidoll

@Sam-I-Am 147189 wrote:

That would be one difficult tattoo.

I agree with Dan about the water drop.

I had thought the water might translate badly tbh.

Since I clearly don’t know much about realism tattoo work, would you be able to tell me why that picture for example would be difficult to do (or is it just the water drop or are there other really difficult elements about it)?

Thanks for replying btw 🙂

tattootony
Participant
@tattootony

Yea it’s definitely illegal you can read about it here https://www.quora.com/Is-it-copyright-infringement-to-get-an-artists-work-tattooed-on-you-without-their-permission there is all kinds of answers to the question.

You’re right about him probably not ever doing anything. I mean he would probably never even find out, but if he did, you could be in a little bit of trouble.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.