manakawari
Participant
@manakawari

im of african american decent and im having an artist design me a tattoo(not a tattooer but an artist who i will bring the art to and have someone else tattoo it) anyway, im a female, i love color and i want a cupcake tattoo on the inside of my wrist but i know that because of my skin color( not the darkest black but not the lightest either, sort of a little darker than medium black)and because of my skin tone, there are limitations as to what colors i can get and how visable they will be…anyway, are there any artists or someone who would think that perhaps if i had white tattooed first, let it heal, they tattoo a color over it, that the color may show up better on my darker skin tone? if not, perhaps several sittings of laying in the color will get it to show up better? im just not ready to give up and say because im black i cant have bright colors…there has to be something i can do, regardless if it takes several sessions..the idea i have for the design will have a lot of thick , tribal black outlines so the design still stands out from my medium black skin tone, but the cupcake cream i would like to be the best color that can show up on dark skin and i think thats red if im not mistaken…is the tattooing white first then after a couple weeks laying say purple or pink an option that would allow pink to show up when it normally wouldnt? thanks

Tattoopadawan
Participant
@tattoopadawan

Lighter tones of color will not show on you for very long.
You always have to remember that your natural skin tones will over power the pigment.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i love cupcake tattoos 😀
i have seen purples , blues reds and sometimes light pinks and yellows work well before .
whites work but tend to not last long for anyone .

have you got a pic of the inside of your wrist ?

Wicked Ink
Participant
@wicked-ink

I think your out of luck. The problem is (to put it simply) the ink is in the middle of all your layers of skin. When you first get a tattoo, the ink is more visible on the surface of the skin (which is also why is some pictures color looks good AT FIRST) … As that skin peels, and then new (dark) skin heals over the top of the tattoo, even though all the ink is still there, there is a new layer of skin over the top of it creating the appearance of fading. So… no matter how many times you put the ink in there, your still going to have a few layers of new skin over the top, hence creating the darker, faded look. Hope this helps.

vala
Participant
@vala

how about a ‘vintage’ cupcake in black and grey?

Tattoopadawan
Participant
@tattoopadawan
vala;51600 wrote:
how about a ‘vintage’ cupcake in black and grey?

This would work fine.

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak

Well, white ink is going to turn lighter. Probably some kind of peach or yellow. So what if you did a layer of white, let it heal, see what color it turns, and just use that color for the top? Meaning to use a complimentary color such as pastel yellow, yellow-red or pastel green atop the healed white? It might not be very bright but so long as it’s using your natural skin tone, it won’t look bad either. Just don’t do pink or baby blue or anything that isn’t in your own range of natural hues. Might be worth the try. I’ve seen some black skin keep the (yellowed or peached) white very well.

Wicked Ink
Participant
@wicked-ink
AmandaK;52241 wrote:
Well, white ink is going to turn lighter. Probably some kind of peach or yellow. So what if you did a layer of white, let it heal, see what color it turns, and just use that color for the top? Meaning to use a complimentary color such as pastel yellow, yellow-red or pastel green atop the healed white? It might not be very bright but so long as it’s using your natural skin tone, it won’t look bad either. Just don’t do pink or baby blue or anything that isn’t in your own range of natural hues. Might be worth the try. I’ve seen some black skin keep the (yellowed or peached) white very well.

Thats really not how it works. I can say with nearly one hundred percent certainty you will be unhappy if you use whites, yellows, oranges, or most colors for that matter. Its not like painting, or any other medium. Your skin is dark. that dark skin will heal over ANY color you put in, hence making that color dull or nearly non existent depending on skin tone. Obviously I don’t know your exact skin tone say i can’t say for sure which colors MIGHT work. Its like coloring a picture in color and then laying a tinted piece of glass over it. Any color underneath the dark skin will be affected. Whites, pastels, yellows, any light color will be affected even greater and be drowned out by your skin tone. I hope this helps, and i know one would think that lighter coors would work better on a darker back drop but thats truly not the case. The fairer the skin the brighter the colors will show through the skin, the darker the skin tone, the less the colors will show through. Hope this helps!

tat2kelly
Participant
@tat2kelly

You are right to go with a bold outline and also get the tattoo larger, as this will help it to be seen better. Find an artist the specializes in dark skin, this could make all the difference in the outcome of your tattoo. Alot of artists tend to over work dark skin thinking the more ink they can pack in the brighter its going to be, when infact they damage and scar the skin and also needle stimulation causes the skin to produce melanin which makes the tattooed area darker. Keep your eyes open and find friends with similar skin tones that have color in their tattoos and ask who their artist is.

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak
Wicked Ink;52326 wrote:
Thats really not how it works. I can say with nearly one hundred percent certainty you will be unhappy if you use whites, yellows, oranges, or most colors for that matter. Its not like painting, or any other medium. Your skin is dark. that dark skin will heal over ANY color you put in, hence making that color dull or nearly non existent depending on skin tone. Obviously I don’t know your exact skin tone say i can’t say for sure which colors MIGHT work. Its like coloring a picture in color and then laying a tinted piece of glass over it. Any color underneath the dark skin will be affected. Whites, pastels, yellows, any light color will be affected even greater and be drowned out by your skin tone. I hope this helps, and i know one would think that lighter coors would work better on a darker back drop but thats truly not the case. The fairer the skin the brighter the colors will show through the skin, the darker the skin tone, the less the colors will show through. Hope this helps!

Actually, Wicked Ink, with all due, that is how it works sometimes. I’ve done plenty of dark skin in my 15 + years and can say with certainty that, provided that her skin is the type to discolor white or pastels rather than reject them (which many do!), she CAN use the end result to her advantage. As you confirmed, it all comes down to her skin tone. There’s a rule of thumb in the art world – tattooing included — that there is no “bad” result.. just something different than expected. Light colors never work as you would expect them to unless you’re used to using their discoloration. After all, it’s still color. Think of it as a strangely colored color pencil – You CAN figure out how to make it look good, right? With ink, as with paint, it’s all in how you put the final result to use. Ultimately, the key would be for her to do a small patch test. BTW – In my first post I mistakenly wrote that white ink would get lighter but meant to write “darker”. My bad!

Wicked Ink
Participant
@wicked-ink
AmandaK;52346 wrote:
Actually, Wicked Ink, with all due, that is how it works sometimes. I’ve done plenty of dark skin in my 15 + years and can say with certainty that, provided that her skin is the type to discolor white or pastels rather than reject them (which many do!), she CAN use the end result to her advantage. As you confirmed, it all comes down to her skin tone. There’s a rule of thumb in the art world – tattooing included — that there is no “bad” result.. just something different than expected. Light colors never work as you would expect them to unless you’re used to using their discoloration. After all, it’s still color. Think of it as a strangely colored color pencil – You CAN figure out how to make it look good, right? With ink, as with paint, it’s all in how you put the final result to use. Ultimately, the key would be for her to do a small patch test. BTW – In my first post I mistakenly wrote that white ink would get lighter but meant to write “darker”. My bad!

Agreed. Providing her skin is light enough some color may work. However I got the impression some people where implying you could lay down white first and let it heal as a “base coat” and then tattoo over the white with color to make it “brighter” (which with 15+ years experience you sgould know it doesn’t quite And IF her skin is too dark most light colors will barely show, if they show at all. I totally understand and agree that you can use colors providing you know how they may discolor. I just wouldnt want a customer to be under any false impression that their tattoo is going to be comparable to someones with light skin.

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak

Oh no…sorry – Didn’t mean to leave that impression. You’re right- it’s rare to see any chocolate or dark caramel skin that you can just lay one coat of white into and expect to get a brighter top-coat out of. However, if -any- light color will discolor in her skin while still leaving a lighter color, she can put it to good use. Anyways, thanks for the chat, and I think we may be bordering on the forbidden (how-to) discussion with this, so I shall end it here. Have a great holiday season, Wicked. 🙂

Violetgems
Participant
@violetgems
AmandaK;52346 wrote:

Right On AmandaK. Great advice.

I am dark skinned and have had color ink for the last 21 years. primary colors all work on me, Red, Green, Blue are the best and still vibrant. I have a bit of white across/highlighting 3 large red roses and that didn’t work as white and looked a bit weird initally, but settled down to an interesting sort of beigh (sp.?)/tan that does in fact work. I am a discolor type skin as apposed to a reject white kind of skin IYKWIM. :p Quite a cool effect. I think it is a pity that folks with dark skin always stick with black or are encouraged to. Color can work well if done well. I have had some white retouched and that just brightened it a bit more but didn’t make it white. Go for it, but do go to an experienced artist that uses quality ink for sure. That can make all the difference.:) Good luck!

PsychoticInk
Participant
@psychoticink

I have done alot of tatts on light and dark skin. A trick I was taught that can show how colors react to the darker pigment was to take a peice of brown construction paper. Take regular colored pencils and try to color in a design. In the spectrum it has an effect of mixing colors. Example yellow and blue= green etc. Now I have not had to much luck with really light colors due to fading within a short time of getting it. Mainly whites and bright yellows seem to fade out the quickest. I know this sounds really simple and weird but the trick with construction paper works fairly well. The same as using a brown paper bag to draw designs on. It just makes a simple representation of the skin tone once the design is tattooed onto the skin.

AmandaK
Participant
@amandak
Violetgems;52391 wrote:
Right On AmandaK. Great advice.

I am dark skinned and have had color ink for the last 21 years. primary colors all work on me, Red, Green, Blue are the best and still vibrant. I have a bit of white across/highlighting 3 large red roses and that didn’t work as white and looked a bit weird initally, but settled down to an interesting sort of beigh (sp.?)/tan that does in fact work. I am a discolor type skin as apposed to a reject white kind of skin IYKWIM. :p Quite a cool effect. I think it is a pity that folks with dark skin always stick with black or are encouraged to. Color can work well if done well. I have had some white retouched and that just brightened it a bit more but didn’t make it white. Go for it, but do go to an experienced artist that uses quality ink for sure. That can make all the difference.:) Good luck!

Have you ever done any color over the healed tan? Would love to see some of your work, btw. Especially if it’s color over tan. 🙂 Have a good one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.