Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

Working on ideas for the second tattoo I want, this one eventually spanning the entire side of my right leg.

I’m looking at treating calf and thigh as effectively two separate but linked canvases, with a dragon up top and a sea serpent at the bottom. I’ve yet to dermine what would go in the middle.

Given my initial plan, it’s rather bugging me that my design for the sea serpent (below) is rather more thigh than calf shaped, and intermingled water and fire would make for an excellent join. However, I’m struggling to work out how to fit a decent-sized dragon onto my rather narrow calf.

Any critique or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

leg-2.jpg

Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

Completely different style to what I was originally intending, but:
(EDIT: Updates)

leg-4.jpg

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

This looks good and you can really draw! The issue that I have is that although this is a great drawing, it’s not drawn for the place that it’s going to go. A great tattoo is not only a good piece of art, it fits the body the way it is supposed to. Additionally, if you go into a shop and say “I want this”, you might find yourself a tier down as far as the artists go. In my experience, the artists that are going to make a tattoo an amazing piece of art want to run with the idea.

Anyway, Don’t let me talk you into or out of anything, just keep this in mind.

Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

I’m afraid you’ve lost me rather, but I’d really like to understand what you mean by ‘not drawn for the place it’s going to go’.
On both my planned pieces so far, I’ve tried to use an image of the body part as shape reference and guidelines, but by the sounds of it that didn’t work here. Can you give me any clues why it’s off?

(As for running with the idea, I’m alright with mods to the shape of it, but the idea of getting my own art is pretty important to me unfortunately. I can compromise, but I can’t give the whole thing over :/ )

((I should add that I’ve entirely scrapped the idea of it being two parts, and decided to just go with the serpent on the calf))

EDIT:

Resorted my reference outline (taken from my own leg) and I can rather see what you mean – as far as I can tell, the water needs to flow towards the front much more.

leg-5.jpg

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Keep in mind that I am not an artist…but…. This drawing you have is of A leg, not YOUR leg. Meaning, you leg is going to be a different shape/size/thinkness with all of the individual things that make YOUR leg unique. Look at the tattoo in my album (I have it finished now but don’t have a good photo yet). It fits into my arm perfectly.

I’m not saying your idea is bad or it’s not going to work and you should get your own art especially if that’s important to you. In your edit i think you are picking up on what I am saying- this will get more complicated as you start looking at your actual leg. What I am saying is that you should be open to what your artist suggests as far as the placement/fit/size of the piece on your leg goes as well as some of the details- which way the head faces, how the wings come out, whether it stays up and down the way it is or it tilts a little so it wraps a bit more delicately around your leg . In your edit you said that the water should flow forward- agreed. That’s all I meant.

It looks like a great idea and I look forward to seeing the final tat!

Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus
Gsouder;70657 wrote:
Keep in mind that I am not an artist…but…. This drawing you have is of A leg, not YOUR leg. Meaning, you leg is going to be a different shape/size/thinkness with all of the individual things that make YOUR leg unique. Look at the tattoo in my album (I have it finished now but don’t have a good photo yet). It fits into my arm perfectly.

Er, that is my leg heh. That was much of the point of the edit. That leg has been there right from the start, too, but I left it out of the images I posted so as not to confuse things.
I got it by taking a photo and drawing an outline of my leg, from that photo. That’s why it’s quite so skinny (to my shame). The ‘resort’ was to change the size of the tat relative to the leg, since I didn’t like how it looked where it was.

It sounds like I’m going to have to work on the water at the bottom though, given you thought it was wings.

Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.