BioHazardEX
    @

I’ve been seriously kicking around the idea of getting a tattoo for the last three years and arguing with myself about what sort of design I wanted. Amongst my idea were either a depiction of Giger’s alien or the Bastard Nation logo, but I decided they weren’t something I’d want to keep on me forever. Instead I’ve settled on an image of Death.

deatha1.jpg

It is, specifically, from The Sandman: Endless Night, Chapter 1: Death and Venice. The original art is by P. Craig Russell. The book was something that help me decided what career I would pursue and has since been a source of comfort in difficult times. A friend of mine passed away a few months ago, and missing her has spurred me to have something I’ll never lose.

There are some problems with the design though that I need to resolve. The right foot seems chopped off, I need to put space in the boot for toes. Her left arm doesn’t have any shading, which is inconsistent with the layout of the image. There should be something in the background to draw the eye’s attention as well. I’ve printed the image out and drawn up a few ideas but I was curious what others might see.

I’m also uncertain about where to put it on my body. I’m a hairy guy so no matter what I’ll need to start shaving to fit it. I considered having it on my back (Death should always be on your back, so that life is ahead of you) but that seems strange for the layout of the picture. I’d like it on the left side of my body, and was considering my arm, I’m not ripped enough that it’d probably stretch out eventually. My left calve seems to be the perfect place, but I don’t know if there’s any particular problem with that spot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I love the Sandman series and own the collection. ๐Ÿ˜€

The arm is not shaded in a tattoo sense because in the ink on the comics it is a more subtle white.

Other thing is that artist rarely does fingernails so if you may want to consider getting the artist to add more detail.

The boot and shading are no big deal any experienced artist can do that for you.

For background have you considered a shadowy hour glass surrounding her?

Alternatively you could have shadowed black wings emerging like smoke from her or have it set in a moonlight and clouds background.

A graveyard is optional.

I always was vaguely amused that her role as death would be so chirpy a character. Great series though.

Take Care
    Matthew

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

cool, where are you planning on putting her on your body ?
    just wondering what the size will be

MrWills
    Participant
    @mrwills

From someone that doesn’t know anything about that comic or the background of her. I thought this is kinda girly for a tattoo on a guy. Maybe add more to it to make it tell more of story… That is just my thoughts but to anyone that knows the background of the image and the comic would get it. My 2 cents ๐Ÿ˜‰

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

why is it ? how is it much different from a guy having a pin up or a portrait ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.