forever
Participant
@forever

Hi All –

I just joined the forums (brief intro in the introduction forum) and I’m looking for help designing a fairly simple tattoo that I’m really excited about, as it will be personally representative of many different parts of my life. I have the idea, but I don’t have the skills to get it on paper.

Basically, what I want is a small tattoo (perhaps around 3 inches x 3 inches at it’s max, when completed) that I can keep adding to throughout my life. I’m looking for a spiral pattern with dates dispersed throughout. The dates are representative of the years significant events in my life occurred. I also want the dates to be converted into hexadecimal representations of the full 4-digit year, as a play on my work w/ computers. I can handle the conversions, so don’t let that scare you.

The center of the spiral starts with my year of birth, 1988 (hex 0x7C4), then it begins to spiral out until the next date, and keeps going, until, well… one day, death.

I’m including a pretty terrible version that I threw together to see if I could ‘get it’, but it just looks like a sloppy mess. Perhaps someone here can help me firm up the idea, and create a version that doesn’t look as bad? I really want the whole thing to ‘flow’ as a spiral, but right now, it’s just messy.

I appreciate any and all help you guys are willing to provide.

T5Kci.jpg

ArniVidar
@arnividar

The problem with this idea is twofold.

First, you will never know how long you’ll live and how many important dates you can look forward to having, so you have absolutely no way of knowing how big to go. Go too big at the start and there won’t be room for many dates. Go too small at the start and it’ll be visibly missing something with few dates.

Second, there are very few places on the body where you could place a circle (or Spiral) so that it looks good. In connection with the first point, this could create a pretty big problem.

I originally started with a pretty interesting (to me) tree of life kinda thing which was meant to be added on to later in life, but once I started thinking about it more I decided I’d much rather choose some image to represent that special time in my life and get that image on me wherever it fits best, rather than doing it all in a sorted and controlled fashion which might look good or it might end up always looking unfinished…because it would always be unfinished.

Stutter
Participant
@stutter

It’s going to look like a mess now matter how you do it. Like the ArniVidar said, get a different tattoo for every year.

forever
Participant
@forever

Extremely good points. I had not thought of those downsides. I was planning to start it with around 5 dates, then add as needed. I guess the size could really go wrong either way :-/

Perhaps I need to rethink this.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

That is 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag.
How about getting different tattoos that represent events(I hate date tattoos)

Stutter
Participant
@stutter
buttwheat;79208 wrote:
That is 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag.
How about getting different tattoos that represent events(I hate date tattoos)

10lbs of shit? Are you talking about my date? I’ve thought of getting a tattoo while on a date. But I’m usually thinking of getting laid. Big or not.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Stutter;79223 wrote:
10lbs of shit? Are you talking about my date? I’ve thought of getting a tattoo while on a date. But I’m usually thinking of getting laid. Big or not.

๐Ÿ˜€ (insert filler for 10 character minimum)

Stutter
Participant
@stutter
buttwheat;79227 wrote:
๐Ÿ˜€ (insert filler for 10 character minimum)

Will ten smileys work?

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Stutter;79229 wrote:
Will ten smileys work?

Nope, because you can only have 4 images in any given post ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.