johnnycakes
    Participant
    @johnnycakes

I have a tattoo of my family shield on my right shoulder, and I’ve been looking for a way to incorporate it into a sleeve. Any ideas?

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

It’d be easier if you’d at least tell us the imagery incorporated into your shield, or, better yet post a pic of it.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

johnnycakes
    Participant
    @johnnycakes

I suppose it might’ve been a good idea to include a picture to begin with.

magikstyck69
    Participant
    @magikstyck69

I like the black waveish artistry in the crest. would be easy to turn into a black and grey sleave. You could go for a nautical theme with black and grey waves with maybe a koi. Because of the lack of color, you have losts of possibilities with that arm. as you can see, im partial to black and grey lol. good luck.

johnnycakes
    Participant
    @johnnycakes

Hey now, that ain’t a bad idea. One of my friends suggested a compass rose today, which would fit in with the nautical theme.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

For my money, I’d also recommend a nautical theme, but, frankly, a koi would look idiotic. There’s two reasons for this:

A) Koi are one of those things like skulls, fairies, and butterflies that everybody’s got. Now, while being a common image isn’t the kiss of death, as with a little imagination any of these can be made unique, you got to seriously ask yourself if you or your artist can make something out of a Koi that doesn’t look like flash.

B) Seriously, you can’t put a Koi, which is an eastern design and match it up with a western family shield and not have it look out of place. I get a real Viking feel off of those horns on your shield. Why not play with that? Do something with long boats tossed in a storm, Viking rowers with their hair and beards trailing in the wind, the captain armed to the teeth and standing in the bow of the ship, leaned forward dramatically into the storm. Around them, maybe a few sea monsters, tenticals, giant waves that sort of thing.

Or, if that don’t float your boat, go with some English merchantmen or Spainish galleys. Hell, maybe a sea battle between two European ships, cannon balls flying, buccaneers with cutlasses and flintlocks readying themselves to board the enemy ship….

But not a Koi. Just….no.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

johnnycakes
    Participant
    @johnnycakes

I was more interested in the nautical theme than the Koi. One of my friends just suggested a swallow, which would be perfect since I’m deploying soon. Any good designs with swallows?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Jonnycakes.

Love the ink. I am partial to heraldry.

My thoughts on the nautical was a old fashioned sand-timer (like an egg-timer) in which a nautical compass is in the middle.

The swallows could be rampant on eitherside. I am recalling this from my very young childhood as my great grandfather was a russian sailor and has this piece on his chest.

He told me that the sand-timer measured the passing of his days, the compass so he would always find his way home from the sea.

The swallows represented the fact he had travelled so many miles – but also if was lost at sea his soul would fly free.

Sailor superstition I know but always stayed with me from been a boy.

Good Luck with the sleeve and can’t wait to see it.

Matthew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.