Mets Fan
    @

I want to grab some rocks from my garden to use in my 20 gallon fish tank, I don’t know if it will harm the fish.

DEBO
    @

It is if you clean them first. Wash them in a bleach and rinse well,let them air in the sun for about 24 hours and it should be fine.I have done it.

J111R
    @

yes you can!!
    the best thing to do if you really want to use outdoor items in your fish tank .. clean them good! (and not with soap it will contaminate the water in the tank and hurt the fish) the best way is to boil a pot of water and let the rocks sit in there for a few mins .. the hot water will kill most or all the bacteria on the rocks and make them suitible for a fish tank!

also you can do his with sticks to if you want them in your tank. && do not put real shells in the water over time they break down and will ruin the water in the tank and kill the fish!!

good luck

k3n7587ching
    @

clean them before putting it in the tank since it may have some unknown or unwanted micro organism that might can some problems to ur fish. to be on the safe side… its best to clean the rocks first.

PeeTee
    Participant
    @peetee

It depends on the make-up of the rocks,Calcium containing rocks will have a considerable affect on the pH of the tank. Some crystalline rocks will dissolve in an aquarium. If you do try to use garden rock first soak it in a bleach solution,if it fizzes or bubbles it won’t work in the tank. If it passes this test soak it in the bleach solution for a couple of weeks,then rinse it thoroughly and soak it in a Sodium tri-phosphate solution for a few days. Then repeat rinses ’til you can’t detect any chlorine odor.

Dan
    @

or you could boil them in water for 1/2 hour. That will sterilize them even better than soap.

pbear i
    @

yes it is — just put them into a cake pan into the oven @ 170 degrees Fahrenheit for 2- hours this will destroy any bacteria or spores then wash them and cool before putting into tank.

shayrillashayboo
    Participant
    @shayrillashayboo

well i did try that to my fishtank and i found for sum reason that the outside rocks as well as ocean sea shells produce algee alot quciker…im sure they look really nice and its safe to use them maybe boil them in hot water to disinfect them from the outside pesticides .. honestly i wouldnt do it though i have realized that…
    fish and fish care are very very sensitive they build there own enivorment in the water they live.. but if u are cleaning the fishtank and adding new water and stuff than go ahead but i wouldnt otherwise…

Runedog
    Participant
    @runedog

Absolutely not. You need to make sure that there is no bacteial or mold growth that could destroy your tanks ecology.

You can scrub the rocks then place them in boiling water but if you really want to be safe, buy some from the store. The rocks sold there will also have a safe mineral content for the water in the tank.

exqli
    @

Should be ok. Make sure they are totally smooth and don’t have a lot of pockets or grooves where dirt, germs, etc. can collect. Wash and rinse them really well.

barely_here
    @

Yeah its fine just make sure you clean them and wash every bit of soap off of the rocks i would even let them dry before i put them in the tank.

dipps_n_gimp
    @

if you clean them its fine dont use a harsh chemical to clean it tho

Summer
    Participant
    @summer

I did that before and my tank got really dirty and cloudy. I even washed them first so I wouldn’t recommend it.

tikitiki
    @

First pour some white vinegar on them. If it bubbles or foams, you don’t want to use it. It’ll raise the ph in your tank, unless that’s what you’re trying to do 🙂 Otherwise, I’d recommend scrubbing them and boiling them before adding to your tank.

Jules
    Participant
    @jules

I think it’s ok, but you will have to scrub them down real good and maybe soak them to get the dirt and germs off the rocks. You might want to check with a pet store and see if they have some kind of rock or cleanser for that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.