SundaeG1rl
    Participant
    @sundaeg1rl

…film (details follow)? When I was younger I watched an old black and white movie, and I am dying to know the name of it as I would love to watch it again!

The details are sketchy: I think the story revolves around a woman giving her child away. At the end of the film the child is grown up and is getting married (I think); the woman wants to go into the house but can’t bring herself to do so, so she stands at the railings and watches through the window (it kind of looks like a London townhouse). I think she is also crying.

I also have a feeling that there was a train journey involved – I seem to remember an old-fashioned carriage compartment.

Sorry if this is sketchy – I’m hoping that someone out there can finally put me out of my misery! Thanks in advance 🙂
    Oh, just to add: it’s unlikely to be R-rated, considering it was on TV in the afternoon…some good possibilites though. Keep ’em coming!

Crash
    Participant
    @crash

Because of the townhouse scene, I would say it’s definitely Stella Dallas. Barbara Stanwyck plays the mother who steps out of her daughters life in order to give her happiness.

Since you liked this movie, I would recommend another one with a similar storyline. “To Each His Own” (1946) with Olivia De’Havilland. It is one of my all time favorites, and I cry every time I watch it. She plays a woman who gives up her illegitimate child, a son. You can read more here:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039040/

anna13
    @

It sounds a little like Stella Dallas.

Gladiator
    @

Railed Off London

Rated R- Strong Violence and Language, Some Sexuality and Nudity

starring James DeLenton, Sara Devalis and Mike Fendrell

LEX
    Participant
    @lex

My partner loves all these old films i’ll ask her tomorrow, so i will answer back if it looks like you didn’t get the answer you wanted. Apx 9.00pm thurs night i’ll be back(she is good at old films)

cwstufff
    @

Stella Dallas

jet-set
    @

It sounds like ” Imitation of Life” – very similar story line.

Grape Drink
    Participant
    @grape-drink

Ghostbusters?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.